986 to 996 Gauge Cluster

freserf

I am about to complete the 996 gauge cluster upgrade to my 97 Boxster.  I have read the thread that was started back in 2014 and it looks promising.  Did anyone ever complete the EEPROM file map for each line of code?  Or can someone kindly point me in that direction?  Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for any help.  The last thing I need is the Hex code to turn on the OBC in the 986 cluster.  The 996 cluster has it turned on already so I know that it is not DME reliant.  I have sifted through the Hex code from the EEPROM and they use the standard HEX alphabet.  To go to a dealer would defeat the purpose of figuring it out myself ... that is why I am asking the community here and the other Boxster communities for assistance.  If anyone has some info or can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.  If I figure it out first, I will post my findings.  Thanks and have a great day.

6 hours ago, freserf said:

Still looking for any help.  The last thing I need is the Hex code to turn on the OBC in the 986 cluster.  The 996 cluster has it turned on already so I know that it is not DME reliant.  I have sifted through the Hex code from the EEPROM and they use the standard HEX alphabet.  To go to a dealer would defeat the purpose of figuring it out myself ... that is why I am asking the community here and the other Boxster communities for assistance.  If anyone has some info or can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.  If I figure it out first, I will post my findings.  Thanks and have a great day.

@Richard Hamilton?

Well ... thanks so far with the information supplied.  I have the 996 gauge cluster working, but for some reason the mileage shown is "0" now and the fuel gauge points to 180 degrees in the heat gauge when full.  So I still have a lot more testing before I get it straight.  The 986 gauge cluster, everything works with the exception of the OBC.  I was able to turn on the voltage gauge and the oil pressure gauge and they work as they should.  Still need to calibrate the speed because it shows 4-5mph over my actual speed since I bought the vehicle.  I was told that this was normal for the car ... slightly annoying, but livable.  If I find out more about it I will definitely post here and in the other forums.

• Thanks 1

20230519_113750.thumb.jpg.ba5aac8d2ee6192992636b2d2dea61a1.jpgWell ... I think I finally figured it out.  I was using the GQ-4x4 EEPROM reader/writer with the clip-on adapter to read and write.  Found that the 93C56B (16 bit) was the most accurate for reading and writing to the chip on the board.  Found the mileage location where others said it would be and using the HexTable as a guide, was able to turn the oil pressure gauge and voltage gauge on.  I ended up using my original cluster board because the 996 board had programming for a larger fuel tank which made the needle climb into the coolant temperature gauge.  I probably could have figured that out too, but I cracked one of the displays while testing.  I have attached a photo of the working cluster along with the hex codes that have the OBC (on-board computer) code in there somewhere.  If someone is going to do this project, I may be able to help.  Thanks again for all of the info, and happy driving!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow ... what a tedious task using an EEPROM reader/writer.  I finally found the HEX code for the OBC, On Board Computer.  Position 47 of the map ... 00=OFF, 1F=ON.  Next week when I find a few minutes, I will upload the complete BIN file for anyone who may need it in the future.

20230520_121712.jpg

• Thanks 2