Shell V-Power 99 RON Umleaded or Tesco Momentum 99

P27GLN

I prefer to use Shell V-power but Iif I can’t get it is Tesco Momentum 99 exactly the same?

Any noticeable difference in engine performance?

Edited by P27GLN

• P27GLN changed the title to Shell V-Power 99 RON Umleaded or Tesco Momentum 99

Not exactly, the way Tesco achieve the 99RON is with a slightly higher ethanol content rather than more detailed fuel chemistry and fewer cleaning additives.  Performance wise, no difference as they both contain the same energy and pre ignition resistance when burned in the cylinder.  Certainly a better option than putting 95 octane in which will cause the ECU to back off the ignition advance and therefore make less power ad may take time to 'relearn' and optimise if you go back to 99 again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Not exactly, the way Tesco achieve the 99RON is with a slightly higher ethanol content rather than more detailed fuel chemistry and fewer cleaning additives.  Performance wise, no difference as they both contain the same energy and pre ignition resistance when burned in the cylinder.  Certainly a better option than putting 95 octane in which will cause the ECU to back off the ignition advance and therefore make less power ad may take time to 'relearn' and optimise if you go back to 99 again.

Excellent feedback thank you

7 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I've been using Tesco Momentum 99 every time since I bought the car, and had no problems at all if that helps.

My intention is to stick with Shell V-Power but it’s so annoying cause my local station changed to Jet fuels, so I have to drive one hour for the next V-Power outlet just to find out they sold out and awaiting a resupply, so Tesco Momentum 99 was a consideration 

3 hours ago, Davey P said:

I've been using Tesco Momentum 99 every time since I bought the car, and had no problems at all if that helps.

Away with you Davey-lad, for all you know the Butler could be putting MOET in there  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In the real world, no one would be able to tell the difference in performance inbetween 99 ron fuels available regarding performance.

If you were going to be really picky, then the question would be, “is supermarket fuel as good as the main suppliers and will it do my engine any harm if not “.

You will never tell the difference in performance if that is what you are after. A bit like strut braces. ;)

1 hour ago, phazed said:

In the real world, no one would be able to tell the difference in performance inbetween 99 ron fuels available regarding performance.

If you were going to be really picky, then the question would be, “is supermarket fuel as good as the main suppliers and will it do my engine any harm if not “.

You will never tell the difference in performance if that is what you are after. A bit like strut braces. ;)

I'm not convinced that anybody would be able to tell the difference between 99 and 95 RON in the real world... The difference in performance is probably less than 5bhp.

You have to consider that the better fuel (Porsche designed the car for a minimum of 98ron) stops the ignition retarding as we know so you get the bhp that the car should return.
The other benefit is that it creates a better explosion therefore needing less fuel to get to the speed that you need, which means it returns more mpg as well...which goes towards the extra cost.

Would you buy a race horse and feed it on cheap hay? ;)

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

You have to consider that the better fuel (Porsche designed the car for a minimum of 98ron) stops the ignition retarding as we know so you get the bhp that the car should return.
The other benefit is that it creates a better explosion therefore needing less fuel to get to the speed that you need, which means it returns more mpg as well...which goes towards the extra cost.

you can get expensive hay?

FWIW I had mine on a rolling road years ago (BoXa meet) and IIRC on 95ron it still provided the expected 315bhp

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

I bought a race CAR and feed it on 95 RON pump fuel. It doesn't appear to have done either my results or the car any harm.

The engine in a 987 is optimised to run on 98 RON but is perfectly capable of running on 95 and I would guess that the power lost through a change in the ignition timing is going to be imperceptible in road driving.

I often use 95 RON in my Cayman and really cannot notice any difference. I've also used 95 RON on track days in the Cayman (the nearest station to Castle Combe circuit doesn't have premium) and still put in the same lap time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

I'm not convinced that anybody would be able to tell the difference between 99 and 95 RON in the real world... The difference in performance is probably less than 5bhp.

Mrs Exy can tell the difference between Super-unleaded and standard which in NI is probably 97 v's 95 in her Rover 100 which I did find surprising.

Not from a Performance or MPG viewpoint but simply the car felt smoother and less Jerky AND she noticed this without any knowledge I had refilled with different fuel, Mrs Exy doesn't refuel her own car she has a butler :laugh:

12 minutes ago, EXY said:

Mrs Exy can tell the difference between Super-unleaded and standard which in NI is probably 97 v's 95 in her Rover 100 which I did find surprising.

Not from a Performance or MPG viewpoint but simply the car felt smoother and less Jerky AND she noticed this without any knowledge I had refilled with different fuel, Mrs Exy doesn't refuel her own car she has a butler :laugh:

Can't argue with that! Judging by the fuel gauge in my wife's car, I think she would struggle to tell if it even had fuel in it :)

• Like 1

A well known tuner ran a comparison on super fuels a while back. And reckoned the Tesco stuff was the best of the lot. 

Its my go to for that reason. Plus cost is a major consideration. 

On the couple of times Ive used Morrisons or Sainsbury's super (98) the car has ran cr*p

• Like 1

@Lennym1984 you may not feel it in performance stepping down.  The only real world test I have is that in long tests on my standard Impreza turbo I spent the same on fuel whether 98 or 95, implying you work the car less hard on the higher grade fuel to get the performance you are comfortable with/used to, and therefore use less fuel.  Cost neutral but better performance in normal road driving when you demanded it.  It certainly felt happier on 98.  I've only run the 986 on 98 or 99, so no comparison to offer.  Porsche do recommend 98, so do people put a lower spec oil in the engine and gearbox than Porsche recommend too just because it is cheaper?

BTW if your race car is on the Porsche DME still even with a tuned map, it will knock sense the ignition back to the 95RON fuel's limit even if it was set up for 98 originally.  IF you switched to 98 or 99 you would find a difference it should relearn the knock point over time and add more advance, although less noticeable on a n/a car than a turbo car on a track with timing to the tenth and hundredth it would show up I reckon.  Always ran our rally cars on 98, but then the Cosworth turbo motors in the last two would probably have thrown all sorts of hissy fits on 95 with the boost and fuelling maps they had.  I suggest trying it.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, Lennym1984 said:

When BP 95 E5 changed to E10 my 2.9 987.2 started pinking. No pinking with Shell V Power, when in France I use whatever 99 is available, usually supermarket and it seems fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MichaelL44 said:

When BP 95 E5 changed to E10 my 2.9 987.2 started pinking. No pinking with Shell V Power, when in France I use whatever 99 is available, usually supermarket and it seems fine.

The 987 is fine to run on 95 and E10 fuel. Perhaps it was coincidental?

https://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pcgb/?id=2011-05-23-classic&pool=uk

On 5/26/2023 at 6:22 PM, ½cwt said:

The only real world test I have is that in long tests on my standard Impreza turbo I spent the same on fuel whether 98 or 95

Yeah the jap old school turbo cars throw a hissy fit with lower ron fuel. I've got real world experience of 2 MR2 turbos and a Celica GT4 over the years. 

The 986 ive used 95 over the winter months and didnt notice any difference but then i wasnt really driving it hard too often either, now im back on the 98 but then i used Shell for both 95 and 98. Trust it over the other brands based on my past car experiences. 

I used Tesco 99RON on my 987 and now my 981 as it is about £3 of a difference for a tank from the E10, that I felt was worth it for the peace of mind

Cheers

Kevin

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Can run on 95RON E10, but Porsche still recommends 98RON.

Yes but it isn't going to start pinking (assuming that everything else is operating correctly) on 95 or E10. The knock sensors are there to adjust for that and the fuel system has been designed to accept E10. I'm not disputing that it'll make more power on 98+ but I am disputing that running a mass-market, consumer product on standard fuel will cause any untoward effects. The OPCs fill cars with 95

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Yes but it isn't going to start pinking (assuming that everything else is operating correctly) on 95 or E10. The knock sensors are there to adjust for that and the fuel system has been designed to accept E10. I'm not disputing that it'll make more power on 98+ but I am disputing that running a mass-market, consumer product on standard fuel will cause any untoward effects. The OPCs fill cars with 95

I didn't suggest it would did I?

I've run my 2.7 and S3 on both 95ron and premium, and have to say I can't tell any difference in performance, mpg or smoother running in either car.

Researching the reasons to use premium, I now always put it in the S3 as insurance due to the higher compression ratio, running near the limit and risk of piston damage. But use supermarket or Jet premium and won't pay through the nose for Shell VPower, Esso, BP etc.