Clutch Pedal Feel

Codfanglers

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2007 2.7 and found a fantastic gen2 3.4S, great spec and half the milage of my car. Test drove today, loved the condition, the extra power, the exhaust soundtrack... and sorely tempted to the point my mind is probably made up. 

Not a deal breaker, but the question for those with more experience, the clutch on my 2.7 has always been very light with a great feel.  Should the clutch on the 3.4 DFI engine with six speed box feel heavier and a bit more wooley than my 2.7 with a five speed box - or will it soon need an new clutch?

good question. also want to know the answer! or indeed, to anyone who has changed the clutch on a 987, how did it feel before and after the change? the clutch pedal in my 987.1S is pretty hard, and the bite point is quite high - guessing its nearly new clutch time...

45 minutes ago, Davey P said:

How dare you think about selling my old car... 😂 (I can't help with your query, but good luck with the sale if you go ahead anyway mate 👍)

Hi Davey mate. She's served me well, given me very little trouble and is still a great car with nothing really wrong with it😍. And looking at an S even though I said the next one would have a turbo.

With you experiencing your six speed manual straight after my car, you may be best placed though to tell me if you noticed any difference in clutch feel when you changed.

Morning all, just my 2p worth from experience of my old 986 and my current 2.9 987.2.

986 clutch started to get really stiff at 80k(ish) so changed the clutch only as the flywheel was still in excellent condition.

on my 2.9 at 150k i started to hear the clutch thrust bearing groan opposed to feeling a change although the bite point had certainly got a little higher.

As it was the original clutch, i decided to change the kit for a Sach's sports clutch and on inspection, decided to change the flywheel and at the time, no "cheaper" options were available so had to go OEM at over £1000 including my 10% discount and a set of mounting bolts...... yes, it was the original clutch.

The difference was very very noticeable after changing.

Si.

On 9x6s and 9x7s at least, the clutch should be fairly light when in good condition. Noticeably heavy when worn - would suggest this may be the case with the 981.

I test drove two 2.9 gen 2 manuals before I got my 1st car - clutch was noticeably heavier on one than the other - I ended up getting a PDK car from somewhere else - and the supplying dealer remarked that "if the clutch feels heavy then its worn" when I mentioned the difference I had found on the two manual cars.

4 hours ago, bally4563 said:

When I changed mine on a 987.1 , jumped in and tested it, thought it wanted bleeding as it was that light!!

What actually makes it go heavy though? Is it the pressure plate fingers that lose their springyness? 

55 minutes ago, The Caped Crusader said:

What actually makes it go heavy though? Is it the pressure plate fingers that lose their springyness? 

Fatigue to the spring,  wear and tear to the bearing and perhaps even water ingress into the clutch fluid..? All guesses of course but I too would be interested .....

12 hours ago, Davey P said:

How dare you think about selling my old car... 😂 (I can't help with your query, but good luck with the sale if you go ahead anyway mate 👍)

Why not?  You sold it to allow it to become his car.... 🤔

I bought a 2011 987 Gen 2 manual 3 months ago, and it had done 48k miles (now 50k). The dealer from whom I bought it told me that it had had a new clutch, flywheel and gear cables fitted by them "recently", and they've know my car for 6 years having  sold it to the previous owner too. I know from the MOT history that my car has done very few miles since 2020.

I took heart from this history of expensive repairs that had been paid for by someone else, and was then initially taken aback by the high biting point of the clutch. However,  the pedal could not be described as being "heavy" and despite my misgivings (typical Porsche worries!) a little Googling reveals that many owners (and now the original poster here) say the same thing about the clutch feel.

I was interested to read in the driver's handbook that Porsche suggest pulling away in 2nd on level ground to save fuel! So that will test if it is slipping!

Edited by TheSurveyor

20 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Don't worry Davey, he's selling it to buy a Cayman.

I was originally considering a new Cayman 718 two and a half years ago to replace my S3 so only really bought Davey's Boxster to get to know Porsches and avoid making an expensive mistake.

I have been itching for a change this year and if I could have brought myself to part with a totally ridiculous amount of money for a 13 year old car, it could have been a 997.2 Targa.

Decision made, deal done and my new loaded 987.2S is being prepped. The clutch has probably seen better days but still works fine so can't really insist the dealer replaces it. Looking at this car as a keeper.

• Like 1

Going from a 986 2.7 to a 987.2 2.9 the clutch on the 987.2 was very heavy when purchased at 55000 miles three years and 20000 miles the clutch was still heavy but still working perfectly when I sold the car.

3 hours ago, Topbox said:

Going from a 986 2.7 to a 987.2 2.9 the clutch on the 987.2 was very heavy when purchased at 55000 miles three years and 20000 miles the clutch was still heavy but still working perfectly when I sold the car.

I watched (yet another!) youtube review last night on a Cayman 987.2S and again, a heavy clutch was mentioned. 

I think "accept it's heavy and live with it until it goes wrong" will be the way forwards. Thanks for the replies and advice, all much appreciated.

• Like 1