981 Mileage difference value

moospeed

Been pondering this whilst browsing the classifieds...   would like to test the hive mind of the BoXa net valuation team.

Two 981s;  assume equivalent spec, they aren't identical but very close and I don't care about the slight tick box difference.  Newer one doesn't have sports chrono and frankly I could live without it despite the original cost.

Both immaculate condition.
Both FSH and clean MOT history.
Nine months difference in age.  The newer one has less miles but the older one is still reasonable, 5k a year-ish since birth.

The newer, lower miles car is a more attractive colour to me if pushed for an opinion but I'd be perfectly happy with the other colour as well.  So I won't cloud the argument with my personal opinion there.

One has 32k more miles but is from a reputable dealer and thus warrantied.  My usage would be 3k a year.  The lower mile one costs just over £2k more, 

The big question is...  is it worth £2k more for a very low mileage and a slightly more attractive colour?  I know it'd be my decision at the end of the day but after much consideration I still can't answer it.

What say you?

Tough to give advice without seeing them, big difference in miles I think it's probably worth the extra £2k all things being equal if it means you'll enjoy it more. Just watch out for big service items coming up on either before committing that could spoil the party.

24 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Tough to give advice without seeing them, big difference in miles I think it's probably worth the extra £2k all things being equal if it means you'll enjoy it more. Just watch out for big service items coming up on either before committing that could spoil the party.

Oh yeah - you reminded me I forgot that vital fact from the comparison...

Higher mile car has just had it's major service, lower mile car will need a spark plug service next year.

28 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

sounds like the mileage difference is less than a years mileage for you - buy the colour you like

I only do 3k a year, the difference is 32k miles.

As with @iborguk and @Robin_GTS it sounds like the colour difference is winning the kudos points.  As my current one is Racing Yellow and what with being an artist and all that I can't deny that colour and aesthetics do feature on my priority list.  I do like the colour on either though...

I feel that the sensible money would be on the higher miles dealer car, for the warranty, long time to the next service, etc.  But then sensible money rarely buys a Porsche 🤔

I would go for colour and the lower mileage, you are an artist so colour obviously plays to your inner strengths. I mostly end up with silver cars somehow which is a bit MEH in colour, but nice and easy to live with. If I found a nice colour that pulled the rights strings in budget I would but it. Just think, in 6 months time you will be looking at it and still loving the colour.

Edited by EVO Chris
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, moospeed said:

As with @iborguk and @Robin_GTS it sounds like the colour difference is winning the kudos points.  As my current one is Racing Yellow and what with being an artist and all that I can't deny that colour and aesthetics do feature on my priority list.  I do like the colour on either though...

I feel that the sensible money would be on the higher miles dealer car, for the warranty, long time to the next service, etc.  But then sensible money rarely buys a Porsche 🤔

argh - i misread your post. I thought the second was on 32k...not 32k more...

a £2k saving for 32k miles doesn't seem much, even allowing for a warranty.

Edited by greenman986s

7 minutes ago, moospeed said:

You could always stick a Porsche warranty on it later if you fancied it.
Again just sanity check the overall condition to help you make the right call.

11 minutes ago, moospeed said:

I feel that the sensible money would be on the higher miles dealer car, for the warranty

Depends on the warranty, if its some cheapo 3rd paty dealer type warranty then it's less valuable, if it's OPC warranty then it has more value. I personally don't value the cheapo ones at all, limits on values, hourly rates and where you can take it to get it fixed all make it more hassle than it is worth. But also as it is a dealer you have the right to reject and other consumer protections rather than you get with a private sale.

Edited by CMA

51 minutes ago, iborguk said:

You could always stick a Porsche warranty on it later if you fancied it.
Again just sanity check the overall condition to help you make the right call.

Yeah, in case you hadn't joined the dots that's why I was asking you before with that in mind 😉

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CMA said:

Depends on the warranty, if its some cheapo 3rd paty dealer type warranty then it's less valuable, if it's OPC warranty then it has more value. I personally don't value the cheapo ones at all, limits on values, hourly rates and where you can take it to get it fixed all make it more hassle than it is worth. But also as it is a dealer you have the right to reject and other consumer protections rather than you get with a private sale.

Warranty sounds good but it is return to base (2 hours) rather than return to Porsche (45 mins).

I mentioned the dearer car doesn't have sports chrono.  To me that mainly means it doesn't have active-chocolate gearbox mounts, one less concern.

This is all excellent feedback, thank you all in helping empty the bank.  £2k is an easy spend of someone's money on the internet 😄

I'd rather have the money in the bank and get the car serviced by my preferred garage. But I would also go colour everytime and in the scheme of things 2k is not a lot, seems a shame you are only going to do 3k miles a years though. The sports chrono is manic, I have it.  As we know its daft on the road, although I like the look of the equally daft clock things in the middle of the dash. This post has, I suspect, been quite useless to you and just repeats what others have said. Er don't you already have a sexy yellow 981 ? Don't come here for miffed missus advice whatever you do. 

• Haha 1