How does this Cayman advert look?

lostinespace

The vendor is talking about having a new mot with the asking price, WBAC valuations are very low but saying £12,500. I have emailed him saying if he gets a new mot I will make an offer. Insurance was quite expensive for me at £650, a 2.7 987 was coming out at £450. I might just wait for a nice 987 to come up on ebay auctions and bid low, this car sounds too risky. 

1 minute ago, Scubaregs said:

So is the car too risky, or are you going to make the seller an offer if he MOT's it?

He is saying new mot at asking price, offers will have the Dec 23 mot. If he is going to trade it in I can understand his thinking, if it fails he has an issue and can't trade it. 

Always going to be a narrow market for a categorised + high miles car… needs to be cheap cheap cheap….

Different world and car but at the start of lockdown I viewed a 987.2 Boxster 3.4S 130k miles non cat for £7000. I felt that was about right - although offered less and left it 😂.

Nice to see one actually being used though / instead of preserved for the next owners.

3 minutes ago, lostinespace said:

He is saying new mot at asking price, offers will have the Dec 23 mot. If he is going to trade it in I can understand his thinking, if it fails he has an issue and can't trade it. 

You said you have emailed saying you will make an offer if he gets a new MOT. You then said the car sounded too risky. Bit of a contradiction.

1 minute ago, Andy Mac said:

Always going to be a narrow market for a categorised + high miles car… needs to be cheap cheap cheap….

Different world and car but at the start of lockdown I viewed a 987.2 Boxster 3.4S 130k miles non cat for £7000. I felt that was about right - although offered less and left it 😂.

Nice to see one actually being used though / instead of preserved for the next owners.

Thanks Andy, £17k is more like it with a new mot. I keep thinking of the trouble I would have when I want to sell on. I will just keep looking on ebay and autotrader and also here, I bought my 987 Boxster off a guy here very cheaply in lockdown. Should have just held onto it, it was fun. 987 3.4 engines scare the cr*p out of me, maybe I should just look for a decent 987.2 2.9. 

7 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Worth £17k! not a chance you are crazy.

Maybe! Looking for a bargain though and why start negotiating high 🙂 Not many cash buyers out there, people using their savings to pay the mortgage and selling assets. I sold my house in February and moved into rented waiting for the drop in house prices, just applying the same theory here. 

Are these cars reliable enough to buy at this mileage?

Was the black and white 70s tv picture at the end the accident damage. ? I couldn’t see it properly but judging by the gap between the near side wing and the bonnet going to guess that’s where the damage was.

that mileage, cat anything, and if that gap is the after picture then I don’t think it’s a bargain. 

11 hours ago, lostinespace said:

Maybe! Looking for a bargain though and why start negotiating high 🙂 Not many cash buyers out there, people using their savings to pay the mortgage and selling assets. I sold my house in February and moved into rented waiting for the drop in house prices, just applying the same theory here. 

Are these cars reliable enough to buy at this mileage?

I actually think it's too high, but I think the 981 is probably one of the most reliable modern Porsches.

• Like 1

Unlike many on ebay at least he describes the spec of the car quite fully in Porsche language. But not sure how he can claim "full Porsche service history" and then in the next sentence indicate an oil change outside the Porsche network. Worth properly checking the service and MOT history (with any advisories) particularly at that mileage. 

26 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

not sure how he can claim "full Porsche service history" and then in the next sentence indicate an oil change outside the Porsche network. 

I noticed that too, but most of us do an interim oil change. That doesn't interrupt a full service history, it augments it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lostinespace said:

I sold my house in February and moved into rented waiting for the drop in house prices, just applying the same theory here. 

Hmm. I heard several of these sorts of stories over time with people expecting a collapse. Not sure I have ever read someone afterwards saying "sold my house at peak, moved into rented, bought at trough, made a killing".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Hmm. I heard several of these sorts of stories over time with people expecting a collapse. Not sure I have ever read someone afterwards saying "sold my house at peak, moved into rented, bought at trough, made a killing".

Much in the same way no one you ever talk to in the pub loses at the bookies.........

11 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Much in the same way no one you ever talk to in the pub loses at the bookies.........

That's because you are Scottish and if they had lost at the bookies presumably they have no money so would be expecting YOU to buy them a drink  :laugh:

4 minutes ago, EXY said:

That's because you are Scottish and if they had lost at the bookies presumably they have no money so would be expecting YOU to buy them a drink  :laugh:

And they would not be disappointed as we Scots are a generous nation.

• Haha 1