GT4 side vent cover to fit Boxster - anyone fitted them?

P27GLN

8 hours ago, Blakey said:

The data logging I did was on a stock car with the baffle removed, it was so I could see if my home made inlets would actually be worth it. I don't have any data with the snorkel removed,  not a viable option in my opinion. As for the 'noise' that is complicated as it comes from many sources, the snorkel does have a nice radius on the inlet and an increasing CSA before connecting to the airbox.  Normally in a constant CSA pipe the pressure goes from high to low, in the 987 snorkel the shape blends in at the air inlet, (trumpeted very good) reducing turbulence and making nice flow, this does reduce the noise that turbulence would cause, noise takes energy to produce,  remove turbulence,  reduce noise, use less energy ( all very good), the greater CSA at the airbox end, 'almost' compensates for the pressure loss, by slightly increasing the pressure whilst 'calming' the air, ready for the airbox (plenum). It is a very common 'technique' for this type of NA inlet. The baffle has no measurably effect on the pressure,  its purpose is to reduce sand, dust rain & moisture from getting to the filter, it's a very good design,  up to you if you remove it. If you live in Saudi, a rain forest or travel a lot on the motorway in the rain, with cars and lorries making spray....I'd leave it in..

I'd seen somewhere before that the baffle plate was added originally for the US markets to prevent cigarette butt's being sucked into the filter. Probably urban myth/BS but it does seem to gain a little more noise when it's removed to my simple ears 😁

27 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I'd seen somewhere before that the baffle plate was added originally for the US markets to prevent cigarette butt's being sucked into the filter. Probably urban myth/BS but it does seem to gain a little more noise when it's removed to my simple ears 😁

Different model, 718, but this recall was done to mine prior to my ownership...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10207227-0001.pdf

Very interesting,  urban myth or not, I can see once the 'myth' gets out, it becomes a game for the small minded to casually / skilfully throw their lighted cigarette in to a porsche and set fire to the paper air filter.  I'm sure it must have happened, the small minded do like to create trouble. Perhaps that too is a good reason for leaving the baffle in, if you drive in town / City with people around your car, it adds protection against idiots. Although smoking and cigarettes are not that common anymore. I took mine out....

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 2:04 AM, P27GLN said:

Anyone know the reason why, certainly on the 987 Boxster that although each side of the car has a side vent fitted although it’s actually only the OS that takes in air, where the NS is blanked off?

The N/S one is the air intake, the O/S one is there as the airflow going past it will help draw hot air out the engine bay whilst on the move. They both serve a purpose

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

The N/S one is the air intake, the O/S one is there as the airflow going past it will help draw hot air out the engine bay whilst on the move. They both serve a purpose

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

Txs for pointing this out 👍

7 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

You can't have it both ways - it can't push air in one side and suck it out of the other.

I think the drivers side one is a vent that the fan blows hot air out of.

A LHD car would be better because your ear would hear the intake better. Can't believe Porsche didn't alter the whole design for RHD cars. Cheapskates.

4 minutes ago, JonSta said:

You can't have it both ways - it can't push air in one side and suck it out of the other.

A LHD car would be better because your ear would hear the intake better. Can't believe Porsche didn't alter the whole design for RHD cars. Cheapskates.

You can... I did not say it would "push air in", the engine intake will be sucking air in on the N/S one... there is no induction on the off side so as the air flow goes past it at speed, it will naturally draw the hot air out the engine bay.... its almost like these designers kmow what they are doing

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JonSta said:

19 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

You can... I did not say it would "push air in", the engine intake will be sucking air in on the N/S one... there is no induction on the off side so as the air flow goes past it at speed, it will naturally draw the hot air out the engine bay.... its almost like these designers know what they are doing

The engine bay is not a sealed chamber so air can come in through the side vents when conditions allow and be vented under the car and can blown out by the fan or sucked out by the dynamic air flow in the right conditions.  If you add the covers you will limit the dynamic airflow extracting hot air, but the ram effect will be forcing more cool air (along with more aerodynamic drag on the car) into the engine bay to vent underneath.  You will also gain a little ram air effect into the induction intake on the left side, however when stationary or slow moving the engine bay fan will still be able to blow hot air out through the vent even with the scoop fitted.  Fitting the covers just forces the airflow to work in a different way but still ultimately achieve much the same effect on cooling and a possible very small plus on the engine air intake.  If it didn't the GT4 would be in trouble with high engine bay temps...

Ultimately your car, your choice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The engine bay is not a sealed chamber so air can come in through the side vents when conditions allow and be vented under the car and can blown out by the fan or sucked out by the dynamic air flow in the right conditions.  If you add the covers you will limit the dynamic airflow extracting hot air, but the ram effect will be forcing more cool air (along with more aerodynamic drag on the car) into the engine bay to vent underneath.  You will also gain a little ram air effect into the induction intake on the left side, however when stationary or slow moving the engine bay fan will still be able to blow hot air out through the vent even with the scoop fitted.  Fitting the covers just forces the airflow to work in a different way but still ultimately achieve much the same effect on cooling and a possible very small plus on the engine air intake.  If it didn't the GT4 would be in trouble with high engine bay temps...

So grateful for the interest in this topic and the feedback received 👍

20 hours ago, ½cwt said:

If the car's going along and the fan is going could the resultant turbulence damage the IMS?

25 minutes ago, JonSta said:

If the car's going along and the fan is going could the resultant turbulence damage the IMS?

Idiot.

You are confusing it with fan underperformance overheating the engine causing inevitable bore scoring.

FFS get your catastrophic failures right.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Idiot.

You are confusing it with fan underperformance overheating the engine causing inevitable bore scoring.

FFS get your catastrophic failures right.

You got it in one!

• 2 weeks later...