GT4 side vent cover to fit Boxster - anyone fitted them?

P27GLN

While browsing the Design911 website I came across these side vent covers GT4 style, but would they look good on a 987 Boxster or would they look stupid, I’m hesitant to purchase them which means I’m just not sure

Details below along with photo attached

SIDE AIR SCOOP / DUCTS GT4 LOOK PORSCHE 987 CAYMAN / BOXSTER

CODE: 98750456000

Side Air Scoop / Ducts GT4 Look  SET OF 2 

These air ducts are to be used on standard 987 Cayman & Boxster models , the air ducts will need to be bonded to the body of the car, the kit includes 3M TAPE & ADHESIVE

Fits: Porsche Boxster 987 2.7L 2005 -08/08

£245.00  Now £237.65

Edited by P27GLN
Removing attachments

I have considered fitting something similar but then decided against it.

I wanted to gain a bit of intake compression (as ram air will be pushed in) to gain free power. The problem is that it will also produce ram air at the hot air outlet port from the engine bay.

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

I have considered fitting something similar but then decided against it.

I wanted to gain a bit of intake compression (as ram air will be pushed in) to gain free power. The problem is that it will also produce ram air at the hot air outlet port from the engine bay.

The ram air effect will push hot air out under the engine bay.  It is only really an outlet when the engine bay fan is running to extract hot air when stationary or in slow traffic.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The ram air effect will push hot air out under the engine bay.  It is only really an outlet when the engine bay fan is running to extract hot air when stationary or in slow traffic.

Excellent info txs

Found another option from Design911 which I think I prefer: product code AI023-£128.00 for a set of 2

Comes in a black base colour and can be painted to one’s preferential colour of choice

Comes with adhesion kit including assembly instructions

What Design911 say though is that these are strictly a 987 Boxster fit, not suitable for 987 Caymans

Edited by P27GLN
Removing attachment

21 minutes ago, P27GLN said:

What Design911 say though is that these are strictly a 987 Boxster fit, not suitable for 987 Caymans

Caymen have the vertical strakes not horizontal.  But I also recall that some have fitted Cayman grills to their Boxsters. Absolutely no idea of the (measurable) effect on airflow - if any.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Caymen have the vertical strakes not horizontal.  But I also recall that some have fitted Cayman grills to their Boxsters. Absolutely no idea of the (measurable) effect on airflow - if any.

I read a thing somewhere where a guy was an engineer with flow test capability so he tested them and found a very small increase in pressure at 70mph. He then did the same test on a standard car and found negative pressure at the same speed.  I'm sure Porsche know what they're doing though... 

• Like 1

Before I did my new inlet flange I fitted a pressure data logger to the air inlet. I logged the pressure for nearly 200 miles at speeds upto 130mph. The pressure was always above ambient,  never below, the inlet apature and the design is actually very clever, as an engineer working in fluid dynamics for over 25 years ,  I can confirm that "Porsche do know what they're doing".

There is a slight increase in pressure above ambient over 60mph, but nothing significant until you get over 120mph, the inlet design is very well considered and does benefit from the snorkel and airbox, it all works together. The baffle, for me is optional,  others may need it....

As for the scoops, I doubt the small increase in engine power from ram air will offset the increase in drag from any additional scoops ....and only at very high speeds.

I think it is all down to the way they look. If you like them, fit them, they won't do any harm..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

Before I did my new inlet flange I fitted a pressure data logger to the air inlet. I logged the pressure for nearly 200 miles at speeds upto 130mph. The pressure was always above ambient,  never below, the inlet apature and the design is actually very clever, as an engineer working in fluid dynamics for over 25 years ,  I can confirm that "Porsche do know what they're doing".

There is a slight increase in pressure above ambient over 60mph, but nothing significant until you get over 120mph, the inlet design is very well considered and does benefit from the snorkel and airbox, it all works together. The baffle, for me is optional,  others may need it....

As for the scoops, I doubt the small increase in engine power from ram air will offset the increase in drag from any additional scoops ....and only at very high speeds.

I think it is all down to the way they look. If you like them, fit them, they won't do any harm..

Id be very interested in data for with and without the snork. As the design would suggest the snork would reduce intake noise at the expense of reduced airflow. 

4 hours ago, Blakey said:

Good point well made. What's the point about wind resistance squared? So you get a bit faster you'll be fighting a huge amount of wind resistance thus negating any other gains.

11 hours ago, P27GLN said:

Found another option from Design911 which I think I prefer: product code AI023-£128.00 for a set of 2

Comes in a black base colour and can be painted to one’s preferential colour of choice

Comes with adhesion kit including assembly instructions

IMG_0094.jpeg

The above illustrated is known to: Channels and optimizes the air supply, e.g. to the oil cooler, water cooler, brake air duct and to the intake tract of the engine (depending on the vehicle type), according to the Design911 website

What a load of BS !:

Oil cooler is on top of the engine at the rear (NO line of sight)  

Water cooler are in the front bumper (NO line of sight)  -  They are often known as the radiators.

Brake ducts have a solid cover for the entire leading edge (NO line of sight)  -  Ducts are attached to the suspension arms for this job.

What we need is someone to test the air pressure on a stock car, test a stock car without the baffle, put the baffle back and test with the scoops and then test with the scoops and no baffle. Or the other way round for the last two. Then once we realise they make no difference take some good pictures so I can decide whether they look cool enough for me to bother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The data logging I did was on a stock car with the baffle removed, it was so I could see if my home made inlets would actually be worth it. I don't have any data with the snorkel removed,  not a viable option in my opinion. As for the 'noise' that is complicated as it comes from many sources, the snorkel does have a nice radius on the inlet and an increasing CSA before connecting to the airbox.  Normally in a constant CSA pipe the pressure goes from high to low, in the 987 snorkel the shape blends in at the air inlet, (trumpeted very good) reducing turbulence and making nice flow, this does reduce the noise that turbulence would cause, noise takes energy to produce,  remove turbulence,  reduce noise, use less energy ( all very good), the greater CSA at the airbox end, 'almost' compensates for the pressure loss, by slightly increasing the pressure whilst 'calming' the air, ready for the airbox (plenum). It is a very common 'technique' for this type of NA inlet. The baffle has no measurably effect on the pressure,  its purpose is to reduce sand, dust rain & moisture from getting to the filter, it's a very good design,  up to you if you remove it. If you live in Saudi, a rain forest or travel a lot on the motorway in the rain, with cars and lorries making spray....I'd leave it in..

• Like 3

On 11/22/2023 at 10:39 PM, ½cwt said:

Thank you for putting me right.