Car washing questions…..

Tigerstew

52 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Hi guys sorry if this is in the wrong forum…..

im planning on handwashing my 981s boxster tomorrow.

what products should i be buying, im going to Halfords if this helps….i dont want to really clean the convertible roof…..just the body work…..any advice on this?

How big is your wallet and how long do you want to spend cleaning? 

It's a massive industry and a huge amount of options. 

Halfords usually have a decent selection of starter kits - I quite like the demon products for general cleaning

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/car-cleaning-kits/carplan-demon-wheels-valeting-bucket-772678.html?_gl=1*bjdkxq*_up*MQ..*_ga*ODcwOTQwNjU3LjE3MDE4MDMwNDI.*_ga_VK44BRER97*MTcwMTgwMzA0Mi4xLjEuMTcwMTgwMzA2Mi4wLjAuMA..*_ga_XXXXXXXXXX*MTcwMTgwMzA0My4xLjEuMTcwMTgwMzA2Mi4wLjAuMA..

Have a look at the thread on here for car cleaning tips

Is the salt on the road bad for our cars?

the only reason I want to give it a wash is because of it, I’m taking it for a spin tomorrow and want to wash it straight after 

I don’t want to spend too much, just enough to clean it before my mate who owns a car washing place can clean it for me

27 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Is the salt on the road bad for our cars?

the only reason I want to give it a wash is because of it, I’m taking it for a spin tomorrow and want to wash it straight after 

I don’t want to spend too much, just enough to clean it before my mate who owns a car washing place can clean it for me

Vast variety of products and approaches available.

One tip, the inside of the brake disks like to corrode if left wet, so either use a blower on the disks or drive the brakes to temp after washing the car...

In theory the salt shouldn’t affect the body work too much, but obviously any damage to the bodywork  (stone chips, deeps scratches) that allows access to the underlying metalwork can be an issue, in particular the steel wings (doors, bonnet, boot, bumpers, sill panels etc being either aluminium or plastic). This is where having a decent sealant finish (polish, ceramic etc) does help somewhat.

Pretty much impossible keeping the car looking clean this time of year so unless you don’t want to drive it much or you love spending all day washing I’d just resort to quick regular jet wash offs and more thorough washes more intermittently.

Edited by Greenman

24 minutes ago, Greenman said:

In theory the salt shouldn’t affect the body work too much, but obviously any damage to the bodywork  (stone chips, deeps scratches) that allows access to the underlying metalwork can be an issue, in particular the steel wings (doors, bonnet, boot, bumpers, sill panels etc being either aluminium or plastic). This is where having a decent sealant finish (polish, ceramic etc) does help somewhat.

Pretty much impossible keeping the car looking clean this time of year so unless you don’t want to drive it much or you love spending all day washing I’d just resort to quick regular jet wash offs and more thorough washes more intermittently.

Will using the brushes at the self car washes with the foam they use damage the paint on the Porsche? 

as I’ve been told the foam and soap at them places is corrosive and not the best quality 

34 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Will using the brushes at the self car washes with the foam they use damage the paint on the Porsche? 

as I’ve been told the foam and soap at them places is corrosive and not the best quality 

I personally never use a brush on the paintwork. The car wash brushes are probably nylon fibres which are very hard and could scratch/swirl the paint. No idea about the pH of the foam but the brushes are the main worry for me, especially when your car is dirty at the start.

Yeh the brushes are probably not ideal as they can be left in the dirt, and probably aren’t the gentlest. The ph of the soaps isn’t too much of a concern if it’s rinsed off well. Similar to wheel cleaners etc,  some are pretty strong acid or alkaline, but this makes them more effective, just make sure they are  completely rinsed off.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Remember to move it once you’ve washed it to avoid brake corrosion.

I’ve never had an issue with this.  I think brake corrosion is more a symptom of how often you are using the car.  Washing car and then putting it in the garage and not using the car for weeks (or longer) then yes make sure things are dried before it’s put away. If the car is going to be driven the next day (or next few days) then I wouldn’t worry too much.  I’ve never dried my brakes after cleaning and just changed the front disks after 8 years and 40k miles, no hint of rust on the rotors (nor the rears).

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

I’ve never had an issue with this.  I think brake corrosion is more a symptom of how often you are using the car.  Washing car and then putting it in the garage and not using the car for weeks (or longer) then yes make sure things are dried before it’s put away. If the car is going to be driven the next day (or next few days) then I wouldn’t worry too much.  I’ve never dried my brakes after cleaning and just changed the front disks after 8 years and 40k miles, no hint of rust on the rotors (nor the rears).

Same...mine is a daily driver and never had an issue with the inside of the discs on any of the 4 Boxsters I have owned

• 2 weeks later...

I use a lot of Bilt Hamber products on my 981 and daily. They are superb and I've used them for nearly 2 decades. It says alot given the saturated 'Detailing' market presently. 👍

Auto Foam is a superb pre-wash/ Snow foam item and the double speed wax is simply superb.

21 minutes ago, alank said:

Fairy liquid, and a polish afterwards. No need for all these overpriced gimmicks

Washing-up liquid is engineered specifically to break down and remove grease, so it will strip any wax or paint sealant from surfaces on your car. Although it gets the car “clean”, dish soap will cause more harm than good and can even dull paint

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/maintenance-and-gear/10-car-cleaning-mistakes-to-avoid/

7 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Washing-up liquid is engineered specifically to break down and remove grease, so it will strip any wax or paint sealant from surfaces on your car. Although it gets the car “clean”, dish soap will cause more harm than good and can even dull paint

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/maintenance-and-gear/10-car-cleaning-mistakes-to-avoid/

Exactly this. @Davey P uses it for screen wash so no doubt his butler uses it to wash the car with as well ;) 

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, michelin said:

I use a lot of Bilt Hamber products on my 981 and daily. They are superb and I've used them for nearly 2 decades. It says alot given the saturated 'Detailing' market presently. 👍

Auto Foam is a superb pre-wash/ Snow foam item and the double speed wax is simply superb.

Love bilt hamber products.

Their 'touch less' snow foam is even better than Auto Foam, try it next time!

On 12/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, michelin said:

and the double speed wax is simply superb.

I like this too. Tried other waxes people rave over but when you way up ease of use, appearance, longevity and price it's a tough package to beat. Harley wax is nice, quicker to apply, similar price, but not so long lasting or so 'beady' I feel.