Couple of issues on my 986

Shippers01

Hi all hope everone had a nice xmas and new year. O.k. issue no 1: car been sat for few weeks and has got little bit mouldy. Wiped with cloth. What is good cleaning stuff that i can use on all interior including leather seats and also roof liner. Anything from halfords that i can go and get quickly and start cleaning!! Issue no 2: car starts up and runs fine then after about 10 mins starts to idle rough and feels like it wants to stall. Makes like chug-chug as though hunting for fuel. Have not used car since end October. I do need new coil packs and plugs so will try and get them at weekend but any ideas much appreciated!!!

I had this last year on my 996 and so far not so bad this year. I hope its because of what I did but it could just be because its not as cold as it was last year. Sp I did some Google searching and found someone recommended Rice Vinegar for leather jackets. As it is natural it doesn't damage the leather but does damage the cell structure of mould and therefore kills it off. I pulled the door cards and brought them in the house. Then I used a little washing up type sponge to apply Rice Vinegar to any visible mould inside the car. I also put 4 or 5 of those little plastic dehumidifiers inside the car. My cars live outside. I see some mould appearing again this year so I will be getting busy with the Rice Vinegar again.

• Like 1

I keep a couple of small silica gel dehumidifier bags in the Boxster and The Better ½'s Golf cabrio, particularly in winter, to keep moisture levels down.

Clean before winter with any automotive interior cleaner, personally I use Auto Glym.

• Like 1

rough idle and power loss could be a number of things, but usually coil packs and plugs are the easiest and cheapest thing to change. A code reader should tell you if you have a misfire on a cylinder - if you swap the coil pack with another cylinder and try again, if the code moves, you know the coil pack has failed

• Like 1

Rough running - coil packs mentioned above, partially blocked fuel filter?  What year is the car as from '02 models onwards the filter is part of the sender/pick up in the tank, prior to that it is an in-line filter under the car which would be more susceptible to blocking.  Other possible causes - sticky Variocam solenoid, MAF sensor, blocked tank vent to name a few.

• Like 1

If you have mould on the seats and any of the interior, I would certainly question whether you have water leaking in. If it is dry in there, you shouldn’t get mold. I suggest lifting the passenger carpet and feeling if the foam under the carpet is wet at all. we have had a lot of rain and you may find you have a roof drainage problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shippers01 said:

Hi all hope everone had a nice xmas and new year. O.k. issue no 1: car been sat for few weeks and has got little bit mouldy. Wiped with cloth. What is good cleaning stuff that i can use on all interior including leather seats and also roof liner. Anything from halfords that i can go and get quickly and start cleaning!! Issue no 2: car starts up and runs fine then after about 10 mins starts to idle rough and feels like it wants to stall. Makes like chug-chug as though hunting for fuel. Have not used car since end October. I do need new coil packs and plugs so will try and get them at weekend but any ideas much appreciated!!!

I had the mould problem a few times when my car used to sit outside under a cover for prolonged periods in the winter. To remove it I would buy some of those antibacterial wipes that you can get in most supermarkets. It also keeps the mould away for longer when sat after application.

• Like 1

I’ve had three Boxsters all sat outside all the time when parked. I’ve never had a mould issue. Check the drains and the interior for damp/water ingress.

The silica gel bags will help re a bit of condensation but bottom line is that mould shouldn’t be an issue.

Re the rough idle get it into a decent code reader to see if it’s throwing errors or misfires before aiming the parts cannon at the car.

That said coil packs are a common issue, exposed normally when they get wet on a run…

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

^This^

Exactly 

Basically impossible to keep a soft top moisture free in these conditions.

Especially with their various holes and drains.

My 996 coupe also gets mouldy. I think with sunroof is worse than without. Possible that 20 year old sunroof seals well past their best.

Can only talk to my own experience, my first Boxster had 14 year old seals when we parted ways and I had no issues keeping that car dry.

If the OP hasn't checked their drains and lifted the carpet up behind the seats I'd suggest they start there along with checking the roof/door card seals.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Topbox said:

Soooo @Shippers01 with rough running are you driving the car for 10 minutes or just leaving it to idle . . . I assume your driving it . . . but it's not exactly clear from your post.

Bit of both. Not really been anywhere in it since October so few 5 or 10 min drive around block then sometimes letting it idle for 20 to 30 mins.

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Rough running - coil packs mentioned above, partially blocked fuel filter?  What year is the car as from '02 models onwards the filter is part of the sender/pick up in the tank, prior to that it is an in-line filter under the car which would be more susceptible to blocking.  Other possible causes - sticky Variocam solenoid, MAF sensor, blocked tank vent to name a few.

It is 2001 x reg.

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Can only talk to my own experience, my first Boxster had 14 year old seals when we parted ways and I had no issues keeping that car dry.

If the OP hasn't checked their drains and lifted the carpet up behind the seats I'd suggest they start there along with checking the roof/door card seals.

Drains all clear and no water in car!!! Just with all the rain can be bit damp inside. First time i seen mould BUT i did have proper 986 fitted cover on car for last 3 years but that broke at end of summer and have replaced with cheap 20 quid one from screwfix so guessing this is part of problem. Main question was for an off the shelf quick cleaning solution that anyone has used.

5 minutes ago, Shippers01 said:

Drains all clear and no water in car!!! Just with all the rain can be bit damp inside. 

Damp how (if no water is getting in) and where ? 

Edited by iborguk

Just to add more info. Car is 2001 x reg boxster S. There is no water in car and all drains clear. Little bit of condensation on top roof where it closes near sun visors. Part of problem is using cheap 20 quid car cover when my old fitted one broke. Was asking for recommendations for an off the shelf cleaner rather than order on line and wait. 

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Damp how (if no water is getting in) and where ? 

Little bit on roof liner and on rear plastic window. No visible cracks that i can see. On roof can sometimes feel damp on extremely wet and cold days. First time in over 3 years seen a little bit of mould. Will look in halfords and find something. Will get another fitted 986 cover!!!

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I'd check the front roof seal and treat it with Gummi Pfledge. 

I didn't have a cover on my 987.1 for 2 years and never had any condensation.

Thanks and will do. Think seen gummi pfledge in halfords. Heard people talk about it on here before.

4 minutes ago, Shippers01 said:

Little bit on roof liner and on rear plastic window. No visible cracks that i can see. On roof can sometimes feel damp on extremely wet and cold days. First time in over 3 years seen a little bit of mould. Will look in halfords and find something. Will get another fitted 986 cover!!!

Again wouldn't expect the roof headliner to feel damp. 

Re general condensation caused by cold weather try a couple of the gel dehumidifiers as others have suggested.

If it's damp in the car after it's been raining then that's something else.

Edited by iborguk