Hood looking kinda manky

_ian

As the topic says! My car is parked outside. I live in Central London and was lucky enough to find secure parking that's reasonably priced, but it is outdoors.
It's now evolved into a two part question:

a) What's the best way for me to clean it up and get rid of the green bits that now are appearing near the bottom edges? I'm guessing a good scrubbing with vinegar (bleach sounds a bit ott) would work?

b) I'm happy to take it to a professional shop as I was debating giving it a proper tidy up anyway. However I can't seem to find anything that falls in the middle ground between "£20 Hand Car Wash" and >£1k 3 days of detailing your car. Does anyone have any suggestions here? Ideally London or easy reach in Kent.
thanks

I spoke with the valeter at Dove House (highly rated Porsche indy near me) when mine was in for service as I have similar problems and my car is outside all year too.  I've tried the Milton Fluid (seems to have stopped growth but not removed the marking), and the AutoGlym hood cleaner with limited success, so was looking for something more fundamental.  As a deep cleaner he uses AutoSmart G101 which is a trade cleaner used in different concentrations for different jobs (available from several sellers on eBay), and a wet/dry vac to extract the cleaner when rinsing.  this is his starting point on a hood requiring lots of TLC to bring it back.  I haven't had a chance to attack my hood with G101 yet but when Spring starts to appear in the weather it is on my list.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

Always got decent results from the autoglym hood renovation kit. Needs some elbow grease if it's really green, but you can supplement the cleaner with a general cleaner like demon clean.

Milton tablet diluted in water can help the green (and help prevent it reoccurring).

Elbow grease and a roof brush plus warm water if it's bad.

Edited by iborguk

Also maybe invest in a half cover for the car to help keep the roof in good shape once it’s sorted. I and others on here can attest to how good the CabrioShield Premium one is. 

Edited by iborguk

I mix my own, but I have used a very diluted fabric/carpet cleaner and lightly brushed that in.

LOTs and LOTS of rinsing until no suds afterwards, 5 or 6 long goes with a jet wash and make sure you are at least a foot from the fabric. 

And then wash with car soap and rinse again.... to neutralise and you'll need to wash the car afterwards anyway when you see how much pollen is in there.

I think a way to get the hood 'clean' is to treat it like a carpet or rug - shampoo and careful wet vac until the water runs clear. It is effectively a cloth left out in all weathers.

The mould is a separate issue and a preventative measure like Wet and Forget is good for that. 

Just my tuppence worth. 

339848683_929945764705069_86204656911135

This was my method... was very very pleased with the before and after. 

339803871_937387847610838_36821771386753
339831022_1222129135108871_8845934564596

Using just the brush on the dry top to break down some of the built up bits and also get rid of the bloody dandelion seeds! 
339904373_799933078217711_10705634218648

Then the spray with water and brushing...
339770109_922086865508654_12720944133781

339732855_2036957193320431_9089535391405

After all that i finished off with Fabsil the following day and it was great for a good few months but its starting to mould up again a bit so will need another session when the weather gets better. 

12 hours ago, Cocky said:

I've given this wet & forget a try tonight so will take a look tomorrow to see if it's shifted the green. 

Fingers crossed 🤞

It will not work fully  overnight. It's a slow acting but long lasting biocide. Read the instructions. 

On 1/13/2024 at 5:22 AM, The Caped Crusader said:

It will not work fully  overnight. It's a slow acting but long lasting biocide. Read the instructions. 

I have so far applied two coats to the roof just straight onto the dry roof. Then given it a wash today after the run (all the greeness actually came straight off) and I applied another coat over the area between the glass and clamshell just to cover myself. 

I'm actually really happy with how easy that was. 

• Like 2