Thoughts on Goodyear asymmetric 20” 265 35

bally4563

3 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

As per title or would you recommend others Yokohama or Michelin for example 

Currently on Pirelli p zero , and they are really noisy , got approx 4mm on so just thinking ahead

I changed to the assym6 from ps4. And the Goodyears are deffo a better tyre and cheaper too. 

More engaging drive, and have been great in all weather 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MickH said:

I changed to the assym6 from ps4. And the Goodyears are deffo a better tyre and cheaper too. 

More engaging drive, and have been great in all weather 

Thanks Mick this is the sort of feedback I want👍

• Like 1

Had P-Zero N0 and N1 on my 981 along with Michelin PS4S.

P-Zero were horrible on road unless it was the height of summer, but good on track. PS4S are much better all rounders for British weather in my experience, better feedback and more feel, even when compared to new P Zeros. No experience of the Goodyears though

33 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

So who is doing these ?

20 265 35 and 20 235 35 ?

Have Blackcircles not got any? I had the Goodyears on a 986, worked well but could squeal a bit in the dry. There probably on version 5 or something now so could have improved. I still like the Michelins but pricy these days

Not 20" but they are great dry and wet on the rear of my 986 (265/35) in 18".  I'm over 2k miles into them so not just the fresh rubber benefit reaction.

Several good comments about Goodyears on here, certainly more than Pirelli. 

My last Michelin died from old age not tread wear so I chose to spend less on GY this time for similar qualities. Your priorities may vary.

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Decided to go with  Kuhmo ecsta 91 , had them on my last two , and at the price point really cannot fault them 

Is there any potential insurance problem with the Kumhos, I like them and have their cross climates on our Merc camper, as well as on many previous vehicles?

2 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Is there any potential insurance problem with the Kumhos, I like them and have their cross climates on our Merc camper, as well as on many previous vehicles?

Why would there be any insurance issues with the Khumo? They are legal road tyres and as you say you have them fitted to other cars.

Only that insurance companies are notoriously finicky about 'modifications' to vehicles, including fitting tyres which aren't specifically approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

I presume that the Kumhos would have to be 'N' rated for starters.

13 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Only that insurance companies are notoriously finicky about 'modifications' to vehicles, including fitting tyres which aren't specifically approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

I presume that the Kumhos would have to be 'N' rated for starters.

Errr, no.  Tyres have to be the correct size and specification (i.e. normal or extra load) that the manufacturers states, not the manufacturer's homologated special tyres.  Otherwise you'd be stuffed once an N rate tyre went our of production, and more to the point would trap cars with older technology that is arguable more of a risk than keeping up with tyre development.  Take the 986S rea in 255/40/17, Michelin PS2 are the N rated tyre from Michelin and are the only ones still available, the Pirelli, Continental and Dunlop N options are all now superseded but without N rating options.  It would mean it is uninsured to fit the superior more modern design PS4?.  N rate tyres are 'fully optimised' and approved by Porsche, it doesn't make any other tyre that meets the general regulations for road use being uninsured.  It would also make the after market parts industry unviable if all parts have to be factory parts.  No, they just have to be OEM specification.

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Errr, no.  Tyres have to be the correct size and specification (i.e. normal or extra load) that the manufacturers states, not the manufacturer's homologated special tyres.  Otherwise you'd be stuffed once an N rate tyre went our of production, and more to the point would trap cars with older technology that is arguable more of a risk than keeping up with tyre development.  Take the 986S rea in 255/40/17, Michelin PS2 are the N rated tyre from Michelin and are the only ones still available, the Pirelli, Continental and Dunlop N options are all now superseded but without N rating options.  It would mean it is uninsured to fit the superior more modern design PS4?.  N rate tyres are 'fully optimised' and approved by Porsche, it doesn't make any other tyre that meets the general regulations for road use being uninsured.  It would also make the after market parts industry unviable if all parts have to be factory parts.  No, they just have to be OEM specification.

Fair comment.

I suppose that I, personally, would still check with my ins co, just to be sure that they're aware that they're not the homologated tyres.

• Confused 1

Just now, cozzykim said:

Fair comment.

I suppose that I, personally, would still check with my ins co, just to be sure that they're aware that they're not the homologated tyres.

Fantastic opportunity for them to hike your premium for no reason.  It is not a declarable modification.  May be read your policy document before making the call.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Fantastic opportunity for them to hike your premium for no reason.  It is not a declarable modification.  May be read your policy document before making the call.

Good advice, thanks.

I've had different policies applied by different companies over the years.

I've previously asked my ins co at the time when switching from summer to winter tyres and been told that they required notification of "all and any modifications", but also been told by a different company that they didn't.

I just suspect that they'll use any excuse possible to avoid paying out, even when the perceived 'modification' is unrelated to the claim.

17 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

I've previously asked my ins co at the time when switching from summer to winter tyres and been told that they required notification of "all and any modifications", but also been told by a different company that they didn't.

Covered by the Association of British Insurers here https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/motor-insurance/winter-tyres/ only a handful of the ones listed needed notification about winter tyres. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cozzykim said:

Good advice, thanks.

I've had different policies applied by different companies over the years.

I just suspect that they'll use any excuse possible to avoid paying out, even when the perceived 'modification' is unrelated to the claim.

Methinks you are over thinking , so if you put a Meyle drop link in instead of let’s just say a TRW  OE you would inform your insurance company ? Good grief!! I have no more words which if you knew me personally you would generally find that’s impossible !!!

• Like 1