8 year service on 2016 GTS

andygo

I'm due an 8 year service in a couple of months.

Just been quoted £1350 inc VAT by Silverstone OPC.

That seems ridiculously expensive for a car thats only done 35,000 miles. Whats the going rate, given that I'm likely to want to keep the Porsche warranty due for renewal in July.

What's the going rate?

Thanks

Edited by andygo

What's the breakdown of what is included in that £1350 service? If they haven't given it you ask them for it. The services are done on age so irrelevant if 35k or 80k miles. As an 8 year service I would guess that includes plugs, brake fluid air and cabin filters and full service, so probably about right. The price of wanting to keep the warranty in place. 

At 8 years my non OPC service cost around £400. No warranty, so if you put the £1250 for the warranty renewal and the £950 saved on OPC service in an ISA you're already over £2.2k in savings for any repair....

Always a risk as I found out, 3 months after I made the call to drop warranty I had a PADM trans mount go, but even after that cost I'm still well in the green vs OPC servicing and warranty costs to date

Good point there CMA. I'm sort of looking to keep the warranty in case I want to sell the car- obviously more attractive with the warranty in place. In real terms, I'd rather just service it myself (which isn't rocket science) rather than be fleeced for beginner level swapping of consumables.

41 minutes ago, andygo said:

Good point there CMA. I'm sort of looking to keep the warranty in case I want to sell the car- obviously more attractive with the warranty in place. In real terms, I'd rather just service it myself (which isn't rocket science) rather than be fleeced for beginner level swapping of consumables.

In that case, for OPC warranty you only need the last service to be OPC, and the usual N rated tyres and OEM brakes, etc... depends on when you're looking to sell. But as they get older, OPC warranty and servicing has less appeal, so if your looking to sell in 12/24 months might be worth while, any longer, worth considering alternatives. Always a balance of risk and reward, is the gain at the end worth the outlay today.....

I'm expecting that and a bit more in June with the GT tax.

There's no way there's £1500 in the job, apart from the £200+/hour labour rate, parts must be £300 of it tops. Total pi55 take IMO but it's the trap we're in.

Edited by plynchy

Is the PDK service at 8 years?? Unless yours is a manual of course.

interesting to know what other OPC’s nearby charge. Try Swindon just for price comparison , they have good rep apparently

Edited by r1flyguy

3 hours ago, greenman986s said:

Amortise the £1300 over the 2 year service interval and it's c£50 per month..,not so bad..less than the VED on my daily.

And the big items won't need doing for  several more years...

Haha, aprreciate your point. Man maths doesn't make it good though..  :

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Graham BGTS said:

I paid £955 in August 23 for the 8 year service on my 2015 BGTS at Leeds OPC. I was told the age of the car reduced the price from £1,300. 

I paid a similar price at Porsche Preston it included plugs and brake fluid

I paid £1265 at Sheffield this time last year.  Ensure you are checking like with like though.  Spark plugs, air filters, brake fluid, poly belt, and water drains checked/cleared were all done as “additional maintenance” for me on top of the standard service cost.

Edited by Greenman

15 hours ago, Graham BGTS said:

I paid £955 in August 23 for the 8 year service on my 2015 BGTS at Leeds OPC. I was told the age of the car reduced the price from £1,300. 

You mean the mileage reduced the cost or the age? Is the age of the car not 8 years at an 8 year service, otherwise you'd not be getting an 8 year service?

In any case, it shows that shopping around is worth it. 

My Macan is in today for front discs and pads...Porsche West London wanted £1350 and after a call to Porsche Brooklands, they offered to do it for £950. So off to Brooklands it went...

12 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I paid a similar price at Porsche Preston it included plugs and brake fluid

Thats interesting, my car is a 2016 version, but a year later, willl be the same age as yours was in 2023. £950 is more palatable than £1350.

8 minutes ago, Graham W said:

How about this for a 4 year service from Reading and this was 2 years ago.  I managed to reject their offer.

UNovOtE.jpg?1

That’s just feked up!!!

Any bit of common sense would see that the inspection can be mostly done at the same time as the Service items replacement FFS!! Seems Reading love to double dip!!

I posted this over on PCGB, but may be useful here too:

Hi all,

I've been getting some quotes together for OPC 8 year major service on my 981 Boxster S and thought I'd post the results here for others to see.

Mid Sussex: 1450
Guildford/Reading: 1650
Portsmouth: 1300
Bournemouth: 1370

The above is excluding PCGB discounts (which aren't accepted at Guildford/Reading), for the following work:

8 Year Service (1 x SEALING RING, 1 x TOPUP/BAG, 1 x AIR FILTER AIR SUCTION, 1 x WINDOW CLEANER OUTER, 7.5 x ENGINE OIL, 1 x Odour and allergen filter, 1 x Oil filter insert, 1 x seal ring)
Brake fluid change
Spark Plugs
Check ancillary mounts and chassis inspection

111 check was coming up between £150 and £330.

3 hours ago, Fizzy Duck said:

I posted this over on PCGB, but may be useful here too:

I thought if you had a current OPC warranty and the last service was carried out by an OPC you could just renew without paying for the 111 point check?

1 hour ago, andygo said:

I thought if you had a current OPC warranty and the last service was carried out by an OPC you could just renew without paying for the 111 point check?

For warranty renewal, if you have an expiring one, they don't even check the last service, just need a pic of the V5 and the current mileage. Just renewed my Macans warranty that way. If the warranty has lapsed or you've not had one then that's when the 111 point check and service details comes into it.

13 hours ago, andygo said:

I don't have a warranty on the car at the moment 🙂

But yes, you're correct. If there is a warranty, you're able to renew without a 111 check, but only if the most recent service, and last major service, was carried out by an OPC.

E.g. if you'd had the major 8 done by an indie, but then the next 10 year done by Porsche, they'd still want to do the 8 year as well before warrantying it. I specifically asked about this with Porsche at all the garages I got quotes from.

Edited by Fizzy Duck