How Long Will You Keep You 987 & What Might Make You Change It?

½cwt

Mine will get serviced and MOT'd in late March, early April, then it will be advertised on Autotrader. When I purchased mine, it was the intention of only keeping it for a year until my wife retired to see if we could live with one as a main car. So at some point all 3 cars will go and we will go down to one, maybe a new or newish Boxster.

My 2.9 is one of 4 cars .Daily a Macan SD ( tow bar to move trial bikes about @ WE s  ) , a Healey sprite ….taste of A series open air motoring , and Ferrari Dino GT 4 .All restored and kept in dehumidified garages btw . All personal plated btw to hide dates .

I have had 3 Ferraris a Testarossa and 360 M F1 .Plus several other Porsches inc 911 s abs even a new back in the day 968CS .Renault sport spyder as well .

So I like to think I know what I like and have zero fwd aspirations having effectively ( trying not to sound flippant ) had it all .

I an aged 61 still trial biking , snow boarding / sking / boating .

Its a few things .

—— firstly it’s sharing the seat time with the other three so I can’t say I am ever board or feeling for a change .

It mid engined handling .When you had a few mid engined cars there’s no going back .

The flat 6 thingy ……sorry guys not wanting to re ignite the eternal 718 - 4 banger debate .

The practicality = two boots and a very good hood mechanism over a tin top piece of pork .

The raw ness of the 987,2 over an electric PAS car .I like the firmer ride ( aka jiggly ) over a electrotwackery- shock set up .

Steel disks over a GT 4 et al .No TPMS , 

A certain inverse snobbery, sort of reverse wealth statement in the sense it’s bought + paid for .No silly monthly s here or 73 platers with 6 pence down a zillion a month and a trillion ballon at the end .I like the fact no one knows what’s  behind it wealth wise .

Its a lesson worth learning stepping off the newer is better bandwagons.

Park it anywhere as well no need to look back either . 

I was 25 when I got my first 911 , had to wait to grow old to 25 for insurance. They didn’t do mid engined back in the 80 s .

Just back from a 4 day round trip to Devon and Cornwall, well over a 1000 miles for two of us and luggage. Amazed at how comfortable the 987 was, I loved my 986 but the journey would have been nowhere near as easy.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Just back from a 4 day round trip to Devon and Cornwall, well over a 1000 miles for two of us and luggage. Amazed at how comfortable the 987 was, I loved my 986 but the journey would have been nowhere near as easy.

What were the plus's of the 987?

1 hour ago, phazed said:

The engine on the .2 is very flexible which combined with the PDK box makes for effortless driving when you aren't "on it". It seems to pull cleanly even when in 7th and has a lovely growl from as low as 2500 rpm that isn't intrusive. The seats are far superior to the 986, hence many owners of the latter changing to the newer ones. Slightly more space is also good.

I am sure others will think of more, I am still sleep deprived.

14 minutes ago, Terryg said:

The engine on the .2 is very flexible which combined with the PDK box makes for effortless driving when you aren't "on it". It seems to pull cleanly even when in 7th and has a lovely growl from as low as 2500 rpm that isn't intrusive. The seats are far superior to the 986, hence many owners of the latter changing to the newer ones. Slightly more space is also good.

I am sure others will think of more, I am still sleep deprived.

When i got mine, it had to be a PDK for the same reason - it really is great for all conditions.

Did a 480mile round trip from Hampshire to Manchester last week on the same day - 3.5hrs up, 4.5hrs back - was very comfy, easy drive and averaged 38mpg. Cruise would have been nice to have, but for the amount of times i use it for that sort of journey, its not worth adding.

2 hours ago, phazed said:

They've given you examples for the .2 which is a whole new car underneath. Even for the .1, a rebodied 986, a consistent summary of the differences on here is that the 986 feels more raw, the 987 feels more refined (one person said it feels "better screwed together"), as well as more space inside. This tallies with why it would be less tiring on longer journeys but not quite so much fun on a track day.

I’ve only done track days in the 987.1 which were brilliant. Can’t seat this point how the 986 might be a better experience….will hopefully find out soon…

16 hours ago, phazed said:

I’ve only done track days in the 987.1 which were brilliant. Can’t seat this point how the 986 might be a better experience….will hopefully find out soon…

No PSM/traction control for starters... 😁

Edited by ½cwt

My 986 had traction control, it did feel more raw which I did like and I can see how that would be fun on a track, less fun on a long journey.

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

No PSM/traction control for starters... 😁

To correct myself, not as standard, but available as an option.  May have been fitted as standard to limited edition and run-out cars in '04.

Edited by ½cwt

I love my 987.2S but the need for 4 seats means it will likely go in the next 6-12months. I'm after a 997, ideally a .2 but i'd happy go for a well priced .1 with an aerokit. I know I'll miss the Boxster as I genuinely think they drive better, but unfortunately the need for 4 seats trumps with driving dynamics :(

9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You have 2 small people to go in the rear seats then?

Have a dog to go in the rear seats! We take the other car everywhere now as generally Doggo comes with us, so I'd be able to drive the Porsche more if the dog could fit on the back seats 

Wow I had to google that one! (404 for me too but your TLDR explained it). She'd be fine in the back of a 997. Could go in a Boxster footwell for short distances if calm (my weim did), but I can imagine the passenger would have to be tolerant!

I've had my 2005 987.1 since 2015 (bought a day after my 25th birthday!) and I hope to keep it as long as possible. The sunken cost thing is real with this car - i've easily spend more on it that what it's worth and as others have said, even a car that's five years younger would probably still need all the same bits doing.

I've made my peace with that and hope to continue to enjoy it for years and years to come. 

The only think that would twist my arm would be a financial windfall, but with a young family, I can see that that would soon be hoovered up elsewhere!

• Like 1

987.1 sold last year because although it was a great car, it always felt underpowered and I'd had enough of the blue interior. Swapped to a 987.2S on finding one in great condition, right colour/trim/spec half the milage, quiet engine. Looked at equivalent 981S cars which were all at least 50% more expensive which I didn't think was worth the extra cash for a car that doesn't feel as nimble. 

Very happy with the change but would think again if a Dino 246 GT came up at the right price.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:25 AM, nelmo said:

I built the kit car myself and it costs peanuts to keep it running (£200 insurance, Ford parts, £250 road tax, 30 mpg)...

Out of interest what kit car do you have??

In my youth I smoked about in Dutton B+ for a couple of years and loved every minute of it.