How Long Will You Keep You 987 & What Might Make You Change It?

½cwt

I started the 986 version of this and it has brought out some interesting responses.  Wonder what the 987 crowd's thoughts are?

• Like 1

I've had my 2005S for 3 years & done 30,000 miles taking the car up near 75,000. I'm approaching 69 yrs old & get huge pleasure from the Boxster. Unless I have a lottery win, this'll be my last car.

If I carry on doing 1k per year and will soon be liable for 600+ road tax, I will really struggle to justify holding onto it.

The main reason to keep is that any substitute is likely to cost an absolute fortune, as car purchase tax in Portugal is crazy (as are the used car prices) and I can't avoid that like I did with the orange one.

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

If I carry on doing 1k per year and will soon be liable for 600+ road tax, I will really struggle to justify holding onto it.

The main reason to keep is that any substitute is likely to cost an absolute fortune, as car purchase tax in Portugal is crazy (as are the used car prices) and I can't avoid that like I did with the orange one.

Eeeeeeh you were lucky lad. Car purchase tax equally mad here but road tax is 1200 pa. Same dilemma.

• Sad 2

No reason to ever sell my RS 60. Apart from a 4.0 GTS Boxster, which I will never be able to afford. There is nothing out there. That is interesting enough. The RS60 does everything you could want and is in spotless condition so why sell?

The same goes for my old P38 4.6 Range Rover. Had the urge a couple of nights ago to change it and browsed any vehicle on auto Trader up to £15K. Absolutely nothing I fancy.

I intend to keep my 987 for as long as I can.

I had purchased it as a "foot in the Porsche door" car but its so good that I don't want to upgrade to a 911. (As I'm typing this I have never driven a 911 of any model so thoughts on that may change)

With that being the case, I can see one of four things happening:

• The engine dies and I outlive the car.
• I die and the car outlives me.
• The green brigade force the government to make ICE vehicles untaxable.
• The green brigade force the insurance companies to make ICE vehicles uninsurable.

I think the last two are more probable. The welder who was patching up my range rover was saying that he can see a sad future where classic cars have to be trailered to events to be enjoyed.

Edited by eob

^^^^^^^^^

I am with you on the above. I think it’s the case of get it while you can sadly.

Hopefully they’ll be such a backlash to the older, (and quite often more economical in the long run) cars being taken off the road for those reasons stated above We are so complacent in this country, we accept everything that is thrown at us. If pushing our cars unreasonably off the road through taxation and higher insurance costs occurs then we should take a leaf out of the French book of resistance and start burning a few buildings.  :)

• Like 2

I think toys like this have a shelf life for me - happened with all previous toy cars and bikes. This time around with this and the previous 987.2 have been the longest "engagement" period.  The later cars are great, but i think I have the boxster i want. I have it for fun,  when the fun stops then it's time to move on, and I don't know if i would replace it with another car - and if i did don't know what that would be (brand or model).

I have met some interesting people through the local clubs/meets/"scene" - and I would miss that but I guess that just adds to the "fun" side of things. 

• Like 1

Same as you Paul, had my 987.2 for 6 years now and loved every moment of ownership but need a change now so sticking up for sale, nothing wrong with it just need a change, doing the same with my bikes at the moment too. I would like another Boxster, looked at 718's but so much 300+ BHP temptation out there at the moment. 

I've only had mine since October and it was an impulse buy, to replace my kit car. I just like driving; weekend day blats, week-long road trips etc and the kit car is great for that but the Porsche is even better, mainly because of the practically as my 55-year old bones get lazier.

However, that practicality costs and I can't afford to keep the kit car and the Boxster, so one is going in May or so. At the moment, the Boxster is the keeper but I built the kit car myself and it costs peanuts to keep it running (£200 insurance, Ford parts, £250 road tax, 30 mpg)...really not sure what to do.

I've got a road trip booked in April and May; kit car in April, Porsche in May...final decision after that, I think.

Had my 2010 S for four years in February - the longest that I've owned any Porsche and I've had sixteen of the things so that probably tells me something but not sure what! If I say its a keeper I'll probably end up flipping it within a month so I'll keep quiet. Nothing similar that I would swap for so it would be something quite different.

Keith

Have had it since 2018. Broke it. Fixed it. Cost me a fortune. Prob owes me more than it's worth but needs for nothing now.

Bought a 981 CGTS 18 months ago so this doesn't get used as much. Have kept the 987 mostly due to the bit above ^^.

Will probably move it on this summer. 

I’ve only had my base 987.2 a year, but I really hope it’s a keeper.  I do love it and it’s a pleasure to drive, but like Paul P I do like a change.

That said, I’ve learnt a lot about what I like in a Saturday car.  My V8 F-Type wasn’t for me - too much money tied up, too worried about it getting dinged in a car park, too complicated to easily DIY on.  All of which aren’t issues with the Boxster.

I had briefly been looking at GT3’s, but £60k on top of my car seems to be a steep premium, and I’ll just have the same worries as above.

I’ve got a great spec, low mileage car and no need to change.  Perhaps an additional motorbike?!

23 hours ago, McDonald said:

I've had my 2005S for 3 years & done 30,000 miles taking the car up near 75,000. I'm approaching 69 yrs old & get huge pleasure from the Boxster. Unless I have a lottery win, this'll be my last car.

I have the car for 5-6 years and enjoy every minute I drive it. Have no intentions to sell the car anytime soon, however, am looking to add a Corvette or another American classic.

Returned to the fold after a couple of years in the wilderness

Previous 987.2 S PDK had to go to fund the completion of a house renovation project, purchased another 987.2 PDK in Sep last year - 2.9 version.

I don't have a great track record at keeping cars, but for me the 987.2 is the sweet spot - decent power, styling, handling, creature comforts and reasonable running costs for not a lot of money.

I wouldn't mind a 355 or R8 or Vantage/DB9 or Bentley GTC or Gran Cabrio - but when you look at the running costs on top of the purchase price, what am i really getting that is that much better than the Boxster?  Best man maths in the world doesn't add up.

If I win the lottery however, all bets are off and my dream 50 car garage begins!  :)

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:25 AM, nelmo said:

I've only had mine since October and it was an impulse buy, to replace my kit car. I just like driving; weekend day blats, week-long road trips etc and the kit car is great for that but the Porsche is even better, mainly because of the practically as my 55-year old bones get lazier.

However, that practicality costs and I can't afford to keep the kit car and the Boxster, so one is going in May or so. At the moment, the Boxster is the keeper but I built the kit car myself and it costs peanuts to keep it running (£200 insurance, Ford parts, £250 road tax, 30 mpg)...really not sure what to do.

I've got a road trip booked in April and May; kit car in April, Porsche in May...final decision after that, I think.

I had this dilemma with my Spitfire. I’d rebuilt it from the chassis up 20 years ago and it only cost insurance of £100 to run and I used to use it to commute the 3 miles to work, but I left work and in the end I just wasn’t using it because it’s not very practical and the thought of trying to get in the very low seat made my back ache. It was either let it rot on my driveway or sell it and get something I could use. Which I did when I bought the Boxster. Never regretted it for a second.

23 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I had this dilemma with my Spitfire. I’d rebuilt it from the chassis up 20 years ago and it only cost insurance of £100 to run and I used to use it to commute the 3 miles to work, but I left work and in the end I just wasn’t using it because it’s not very practical and the thought of trying to get in the very low seat made my back ache. It was either let it rot on my driveway or sell it and get something I could use. Which I did when I bought the Boxster. Never regretted it for a second.

Thanks - that's good to hear that I'm not just being a cold-hearted bar steward... 🙂 

987.2S PDK feels like pretty good value as a toy car - as much performance as I'm likely to want to use, open top, more than four cylinders and not stupid money - it's quite capable enough to be our last ICE toy and I certainly won't have a problem it that's how things work out.

To really substantially better the Boxster on planet Porsche would take a 991C2S Cab, and they're over £55k - if I had that kind of money I'd rather replace our ageing 5 series diesel with a Taycan ST and keep the Boxster.

I will keep my car as long as possible it's proved itself as a unbelievable drive & I can't seem to see what upgrades a 981/718 offer myself. 

Insurance hikes have meant that I now have multi cover and throwing that through my business kinda makes it less of a blow. 

Tax increases I can't do anything about but I think when you're somebody forever in the petrol station filling a van you don't mind a tank of the good stuff for a day out in the car. 

I also in my mind and feel free to disagree but I find the 986/987/981 are all at the stages of work required. If it hasn't already been done it's near due (not claiming any specific jobs here) but even the early 981's have crossed over the ten year point. So for me I think that notion of moving up a model because it's newer just doesn't really have that appeal. 

The car I crave would be a 981 GTS but they seem more problematic than my car and seen as they're about £40k more than I paid for my car (from the main stealer) no thank you! 

Edited by Cocky

53 minutes ago, IroningMan said:

To really substantially better the Boxster on planet Porsche would take a 991C2S Cab, and they're over £55k - 

These 987.2 Boxsters really are great value when put like that!

30 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Personally I think they are the best bang for buck.

When i was looking, i couldn't find anything else (2 seater, soft-top sports car, auto) that offered the same mix for £13k - even better, it has a Porsche badge on it too :)

Edited by Mattman42

Had mine 10 years this year, has been a great car (hope I’m not about to jinx it!).

Have had an itch for a couple of years about changing it, maybe a 997 or 981. Trouble is, my car has been fastidiously maintained & is immaculate. Every car I’ve tentatively looked at has not got the same level of service history & that puts me off straight away. Probably looking for a unicorn, like we all are when thinking of a change…

• Like 1