Cayman - water in boot - any drain holes?

kdh

IMG-2442.jpg

I had a feeling the Cayman was misting up a bit too much in the mornings and checking under the boot carpet today noticed it was absolutely sopping wet under there. I know we're in Monsoon Season but this was ridiculous.

Are there any rear drain holes in the Cayman I could check? I didn't think there were any.

Any other thoughts?

Mnay thanks as always 

Have you had any Boxster drivers around recently? It could be their tears collecting in the boot as they realise how much better the Cayman is compared to their hairdresser's cars........... 😂

"taste test" , assuming you haven't had a cat or a fox in the boot - literally taste it ..... tasteless - its rain (or could be in some circumstances air conditioning condensate, if its soapy (unlikely) its screen wash, if its sweet its coolant.... if its coolant - look at the coolant filler cap and see if it looks crusty - new one with a seal is circo 20 quid from OPC - seals are available separately - but seems worth replacing the cap if its suspect.

Unlike @Davey P is being to a fellow Cayman owner I'll be a helpful Boxster owner.  IIRC from previous discussion there are drain holes in the lower edge of the frame where the hatch closes.  Have you lost coolant?  Caps can fail, replace with part ending .04

Edited by ½cwt

Taste test/check coolant level as above.

Nothing here re the boot/hatch but also looks like ingress from the front/door cards is also a thing. Linking this just in case that's also an issue for you

Thanks for all replies 👍

After a few tests, the front drain holes were slightly blocked but the rear ones (No4 on the diagram) let water into the boot after I poured it over and around the spoiler. That might be the problem. I'm trying to dry the car out now but it's not easy in this weather grr.

Boot carpet rubber underlay is wetter than a wet thing. I think a totally waterproof outdoor cover is in order.

16 hours ago, kdh said:

Thanks for all replies 👍

After a few tests, the front drain holes were slightly blocked but the rear ones (No4 on the diagram) let water into the boot after I poured it over and around the spoiler. That might be the problem. I'm trying to dry the car out now but it's not easy in this weather grr.

Boot carpet rubber underlay is wetter than a wet thing. I think a totally waterproof outdoor cover is in order.

Or fix the drains... A cover shouldn't be required if they are clear and the closing seals on everything are in good order. Apply some Gummi Pflege to the door and boot rubbers to be sure.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Or fix the drains... A cover shouldn't be required if they are clear and the closing seals on everything are in good order. Apply some Gummi Pflege to the door and boot rubbers to be sure.

Nah Cayman owners do not go for the easiest / cheapest option as @Davey P has proved time and time again 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bike Loon said:

Nah Cayman owners do not go for the easiest / cheapest option as @Davey P has proved time and time again 😁

Don't be guided by outlying data points.

4 minutes ago, kdh said:

Best way to dry it out - run it with full heater/aircon on or leave it standing with windows open?

You need airflow - but if its anything like the cabin carpets then best to get it out and dry it properly indoors - the heater/ac won't make much difference.

Wet carpets need to be dried indoors, you won't get them fully dry inside the car even with a fan heater and dehumidifier. (ask us Boxster owners how we know...)

Ha, yes we've got a Boxster too. Just managed to do the drain holes in time the other week.👍

I've got the boot carpet out so that's drying indoors. Absolutely sodden! The interior of the car still feels a bit damp, so I'll go with the airflow idea once it stops raining. grr.

• Like 1

Screen-Shot-2024-02-24-at-15-01-59.jpg

Looking into the boot from above, there is a rubber hose that is connected to the spoiler mechanism which I've pulled out of the hole to the left of it. That hole is full of water. I've threaded a coat hanger in there and it doesn't seem blocked. There is one on the other side too.

Screen-Shot-2024-02-24-at-15-03-16.jpg

Above is an opening where the rear tailgate's bump stops fit into, one on each side. If I pour water in there, it pours out into the boot behind the silver spoiler housing below. It doesn't seem to be coming out of the rubber tubes. If I pour water directly into the spoiler holes (where it goes up and down) the same thing happens - straight into the boot and over the wiring.

Screen-Shot-2024-02-24-at-15-02-48.jpg

Is this the same sort of layout/system as a 987 Boxster - apologies if I'm in the wrong forum.

Any help much appreciated. Running out of towels down here.👍