Let's Play! Normal, common or weird?

AMacdonald

I've had my '03 986 since last October and have experienced a number of oddities, some of which were minor faults, some are normal and some I haven't worried about. Rather than spam posts, I thought I'd collect them into one handy list and see which I should worry about. Maybe it'll help other newbies too.

Puff of smoke at startup: Normal! The flat-six design can allow a little oil to collect in the cylinders

Wipers do not move when washer spraying. Only applies when wipers not otherwise in use - if it's already raining, they are fine: ?

Car rolls slightly forwards or backwards after the handrake is applied and the footbrake released: ?

Slight quiet scraping from rear wheel during slow cornering: Weird! Even Revolution couldn't diagnose this

Nasty loud metallic scraping from rear wheel during cornering: Common! Check handbrake pads inside wheel hub

Noise from the front very like worn wheel bearings, but bearings are fine: Weird! Indy reckons my Bridgestone S02 tyres are feathering on the inside edge, even though geometry is spot-on. Recommend Continental or Pirelli at next change

Manual gear shift stiff, sticky and imprecise: Common! Drive the car more. Take it into the mountains and thrash it for a bit. A motorway run won't help nearly as much

Sudden catastrophic engine failure: Uncommon! Luckily shouldn't happen to me as I've upgraded the IMS bearing but would be remiss not to mention it

Fuel filler cap either fails to lock or fails to unlock: Common! The locking servo can become sticky. Replace or, like me, cut off the plunger and don't worry about fuel theft

More to follow as the car ages. All additions or help to complete the list welcome.

I forgot one!

Between 1950 and about 1990 rpm, there's a sound from the engine like a small manhole cover being dragged aside or, possibly, the unscrewing of the alien cylinder from jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds (original version). Not loud, but there: ?

Outie Dints in the hood and tailgate from ramming too much in the luggage areas.  -  Common ( saw quite a few with at least one dint)

Minor Rust under the B Pillar Door catch - Commonish (again saw a few)

Bubbles under the air intake -  Sometimes (about 3 in the 10 I looked at suffered this)

Engine has kind of a milk-float whine to it, like a straight-cut gear. Common, apparently it's a flat 6 Porsche tractor engine thing

Drop link is welded into the hub carrier Common ridiculously stupid idiotic German design...:rolleyes:

There's a rattling noise somewhere, I just can't quite..... Common.  lube up and prepared for endless part replacements and never solve it

Where's that headlight removal tool..... Normal - must be useful somewhere else around the house of the original owner.

Remote Central locking won't work.... Common - designed obsolescence :rolleyes:

Costs half of the equivalent 996 Weird.

:thumbsup_still:

Central locking packing up after 5+ days of not using the car, normal (just turn the key in the door and press the button to wake it up again).

front wheels to skip like a welded diff on full lock on a slight incline at very low speeds normal

Can I add...

Yellowing of headlamp lenses ...Common

VW/ Bosch starter motor squeal on start up... easy fix, but Common

The thing I've now fixed...clonking at front end, slow speeds, when warm...Common (control arm tuning forks)

Agree with all the rest!

May I suggest:

Offering to run otherwise tedious errands for the other half, particularly when the sun is shining (did two today!)...Normal

Grinning stupidly all the time while undertaking said errands...Normal

Taking a 360° stroll around the car when you park up, trying not to look too conspicuous while doing so...Normal

.....or am I just weird? ?

Ah, on the parking thread... choosing a space (if you have to park in town) as far away from another car as possible or at least with as little risk of damage as possible. 

1 minute ago, mxm1275 said:

Ah, on the parking thread... choosing a space (if you have to park in town) as far away from another car as possible or at least with as little risk of damage as possible. 

Or, finding an immaculately maintained and obviously cherished older car to park next to.  There's no point in parking next to a brand new or expensive car.  This only tells you the owner has money (or debt!) not that he appreciates nice cars ?.

Agreed:  Parking next to a cherished Audi Quattro is perfectly safe.  An Audi A4 is a different matter.

Also... sometimes strange (OE fit) Porsche radio behavior... Common (strange display/ on off switch etc etc) always fixed with a ignition off then back on again.

1. With top down and windscreen wipers on, they cause wind turbulence on the drivers side when they reach the vertical position, sending a regular but brief blast of air along the top of your wig - try it! Weird.

Happens in the 981, not sure about the 987, don't recall my 987 doing it?

2. The PCM screen when turning ignition on sometimes has the Porsche badge in full colour displayed, sometimes not! Common.

3. The ability to go around corners a good 20mph faster than virtually any other car! Normal.

18 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

1. With top down and windscreen wipers on, they cause wind turbulence on the drivers side when they reach the vertical position, sending a regular but brief blast of air along the top of your wig - try it! Weird.

Never driven in the rain with the top down (Actually, never driven my 981 in the rain, period!) and have no hair (beard doesn't count) so cannot verify. ?

Happens in the 981, not sure about the 987, don't recall my 987 doing it?

2. The PCM screen when turning ignition on sometimes has the Porsche badge in full colour displayed, sometimes not! Common.

Aha! So I wasn't hallucinating when I thought I saw this instead of the script "Boxster" a couple of times recently. ?

3. The ability to go around corners a good 20mph faster than virtually any other car! Normal.

Yessssss...?

On 25/08/2016 at 11:15 AM, AMacdonald said:

Wipers do not move when washer spraying. Only applies when wipers not otherwise in use - if it's already raining, they are fine: ?

Tried this before.   With the wipers off, a squirt of the washer makes the wipers perform 3 wipe cycles.

Having to remove and clean the plunger switch that activates the brake lights... Weird?

Taking photos of the rear and rear 3/4 in different locations - Normal

driving 80% of the time with the roof down, day or night.

6 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Having to remove and clean the plunger switch that activates the brake lights... Weird?

Taking photos of the rear and rear 3/4 in different locations - Normal

driving 80% of the time with the roof down, day or night.

Loz mate, you will have to stop taking photos of your rear end, people will talk....!

So the wiper thing counts as weird then? On mine, I press the washer and the screen gets wet. When I release it, the wipers set off for a few sweeps. If I press the washer again, the wipers pause wherever they are until I release the washer again. In a way it's quite handy for getting to those hard-to-reach spots but I've never had a car that worked that way before.

Wish I could edit the first post to update but reasons stop me.

3 hours ago, AMacdonald said:

So the wiper thing counts as weird then? On mine, I press the washer and the screen gets wet. When I release it, the wipers set off for a few sweeps. If I press the washer again, the wipers pause wherever they are until I release the washer again. In a way it's quite handy for getting to those hard-to-reach spots but I've never had a car that worked that way before.

I'll try again when I'm next in the car and double check.

4 hours ago, AMacdonald said:

Yes that's how mine works. Great not to have the wiper remove the water before it does it's job!

Archived