Intermediate oil change

DazWhite987

If you do lots of short journeys in it without the engine getting properly warm then I think it would be worthwhile. Also, if you're close to the 20k between 2 years service intervals then probably also worth an intermediate change. If it's just used for weekend runs then I wouldn't see much point as I don't think oil degrades unless it's being used.

I think many here use Kwik Fit or a national change for a bargain interim oil change ... :)

25 minutes ago, Southy said:

what oil do they use :)

Depends but if you ask them they will tell you as usually it's 'special order' I've had Fuchs Titan and Mobil 3000 and recently Fuchs Titan for my C55 too.

3 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

I change my oil annually in between the services & the car does about 8k between oil changes.

I personally think the 2 year / 20k miles service intervals are too long.

+1

7 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I change my oil annually in between the services & the car does about 8k between oil changes.

I personally think the 2 year / 20k miles service intervals are too long.

Another +1 on this never been a fan of these long life oils with all my cars being changed every 12 months so yes well worth doing an intermediate change.

2 hours ago, marts500 said:

Thats when it starts to get dirty....and that can't be good.

Porsche are happy to warranty the cars with upto 20K between services, so they clearly don't see it as a big issue. Your car, your money, just seems like overkill to me. Do you shorten the other service intervals as well such as air filter, gearbox oil, brake fluid? Where do you get the oil for £40?

Problem with this oil change obsession is where do you draw the line?

If you change it at 2 months then why not 1 month?

The people who produce the oil and build the engines are happy with much longer intervals so why deviate from that?

5 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Porsche are happy to warranty the cars with upto 20K between services, so they clearly don't see it as a big issue. Your car, your money, just seems like overkill to me. Do you shorten the other service intervals as well such as air filter, gearbox oil, brake fluid? Where do you get the oil for £40?

Air filter every 12 months...brake fluid every 24 and i did the gearbox oil just once ...all easy jobs.I normally buy Shell or Petronas oil from europarts with a Hengst filter and a new plug washer for about £40 when its on offer.A fiver a week.Peanuts.

every year, or 5k whichever comes first..

heres the controversial one. kwik fit. But they have done me fine and has been 50-70 quid inc filter.

At those prices why not? Its a porsche and its recommended by many.

When its in for a service, it always gets an oil change.

Id say regular oil changes are pretty much top of the list for ensuring a long lasting car. Its the same reason why i run mine religiously on vpower. Thats another £10 per tank vs tesco 95, so why not the oil every year for 50-100 quid.

But every 2 months imho is overkill. Every 2 years, i would be uncomfortable with that.

Archived