What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Installed some Headrest Wind Deflectors I got thru 9Apart and a 3 Spoke Steering Wheel I bought from a local who is breaking his wrecked Boxster S. 

I'm pleased with the look of both items, but had hoped the Headrest Wind Deflectors would be more effective.  When I acquired the car the clear center piece was included, but the headrest pieces were missing.  I hoped adding the headrest pieces would make a noticeable difference, but they don't seem to make any difference.  Guess it's a good thing my hair is disappearing on its own!!  

I feel like the combined look of these changes adds at least 20 IHP (imagined horsepower), so it's worth the cost...! 

Kevin

DSC_0716 (640x395).jpg

31 minutes ago, DanMumford said:

@S8ked How much did the 3 spoke set you back? Wanting to get one for mine but they seem pretty pricey! 

I think the LHD wheels cost more ?

• Like 1

Fitted a 550 Anniversary exhaust trim today that I sourced from Canada.  A 5 minute job to swap them over and I am really pleased how it looks.  Can switch back again when I get bored of the look.  

tB3CbHZ.jpg

ihIAd8K.jpg

Edited by Saxosim

Jacked up the front of my car, removed the front tuning forks before realizing that I ordered the wrong replacements (997 rather than 996 part number). Tried to remove the ARB links but endup up with a lot of swearing and two very seized bolts.

I cut off the ends and stuck a rattle gun on there, but nothing is moving. Left both sides soaking in WD40 while I charge up my gun.

Not the most productive day I have ever had :)

Wrapped the mufflers of the cheap drone laden exhaust with  heat wrap tape and secured with large stainless clips. Wish I had done it months ago as the car is pleasant to drive again! Drone much reduced at the 1800- 3000 rpm level. Think I will refrain from pushing Brillo pads up the pipe for now! ??

6 hours ago, ed80 said:

Jacked up the front of my car, removed the front tuning forks before realizing that I ordered the wrong replacements (997 rather than 996 part number). Tried to remove the ARB links but endup up with a lot of swearing and two very seized bolts.

I cut off the ends and stuck a rattle gun on there, but nothing is moving. Left both sides soaking in WD40 while I charge up my gun.

Not the most productive day I have ever had :)

A fully charged battery did the trick. ARB links were no match for my beast of an impact gun. Took advantage of the break to tidy up my new (to me) shocks with some hammerite.

Next problem was finding the right spanners to loosen the coffin arm bush. I have a 19mm spanner, and a 17mm spanner, but I do not own an 18mm spanner. No room for a socket on that side so it will have to wait until I can get to Halfords.

New CTE arms (the right ones this time) have been ordered with the 20% CP4Less discount code. Hopefully I will be back on the road soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil and filter change today as it has been a while. Dooh, just checked up - last done 28 months ago lol. Only done 2800 miles in that time though and car is now at 87000 miles. Went for Shell oil this time round. Opening up the filter revealed no silver particles which is always pleasing on the eye. Original IMS still fitted here. Maybe the Stuttgart built factor helps with this? Either way, it does not concern me unduly.

imageimage

Actually drove it! It's been somewhat neglected over the last month and I've felt guilty. Life is 100mph at the mo and I'm having to work every extra hour I can. Even got a wave from a guy in a 987, made my day ☺️

On 9 de septiembre de 2018 at 8:22 PM, Sazzy said:

Actually drove it! It's been somewhat neglected over the last month and I've felt guilty. Life is 100mph at the mo and I'm having to work every extra hour I can. Even got a wave from a guy in a 987, made my day ☺️

Initially skimmed to the 100mph bit and really thought you had given it a proper outing:D:lol:.

Swapped my knarly handbrake leather grip over to a nearly new grip and swapped out the black push button on the end of the handbrake to a nice silver one.

This can all be done in situ, the leather grip with a bit of brute force will wiggle off so you don’t need to replace the whole handbrake which is a RPITA.

Cost me £20 on ebay for a newish handbrake that had all the parts needed for the swap.

Collected it from Zuffenhaus after they replaced the rotten rear brake lines, and changed the gearbox oil plus a few other jobs I couldn't do.

Much happier now that's done. Highly recommend Zuffenhaus if they're close to you. Great bunch of guys and they do a cracking job.

After a month of ownership finally did engine and transmission oil changes this morning, then Alpine dash speaker upgrade in the afternoon.

Oil filter didn't through up any nasty surprises which was nice - 2000 S with almost 112k on the clock with all original internals as far as I'm aware.

FB_IMG_1536870192966.jpg

Replaced the O rings in the coolant bleed valve, thanks to @PaulQ now waiting to see if this fixes the condensation.

Discovered that it runs like a bag of nails if you take off the oil filler cap when it's ticking over, quite amazing just how bad it is.