What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 hours ago, Southy said:

These are brilliant, had them on 2 of my manual 986's !!

11 hours ago, Mike G said:

These are brilliant, had them on 2 of my manual 986's !!

Got one in my car and wouldn't go back, however Jims roller bearing kit is what took it from good to excellent, I strongly recommend you think about it for the future.

It was lovely here too this morning, so took advantage of the fact I didn't get p*ssed last might, and had a nice little 40 mile or so hoon this morning. 

Forgotten how bloody nice this car actually is, even though it's my daily driver and I even managed over double the mpg of what I get on my daily commute. 

MOT passed yesterday for expiry 25 Jan 2020  !!  so no MOT to be done or dated 2019  !!

Booked for Brake fluid change at OPC Colchester on the 9th Jan { £ 75.00 inc VAT and fluid )

Ordered all the deionised water and anti freeze concentrate for full flush and replacement from Eurocarparts

Bit of tlc for the box to start the year off !!

MOT passed, minor service and the guys at Eporsch worked their magic on the engine so now the little Boxster really flies and is so much more responsive. Very happy chappy!

On 12/30/2018 at 7:21 PM, Southy said:

Will follow with interest as I'll be doing the same in the spring, coming from an MX-5 the long throw gear change of my 986S, compared to the short, slick, rifle bolt change in the MX-5 is the only thing I miss.

Today I grasped the nettle and replaced both aircon condensers on my 986 Anniversary. Meshed the PU while it was off. Very straightforward job  (only slightly tricky bit was seating the outside temperature sensor through the mesh whilst balancing the PU with the other hand) - took me about 3 hours in total including tea breaks. Just need to get it pressure tested now!

3 minutes ago, jongrindall said:

Today I grasped the nettle and replaced both aircon condensers on my 986 Anniversary. Meshed the PU while it was off. Very straightforward job  (only slightly tricky bit was seating the outside temperature sensor through the mesh whilst balancing the PU with the other hand) - took me about 3 hours in total including tea breaks. Just need to get it pressure tested now!

welcome ....pictures are obligatory

So I finally got to help with the build of my own engine... 👍

Did some of this:

8VnTpFy.jpg

Then some more:

vq3TUXr.jpg

A bit of this...

t8JGwBY.jpg

And also almost all of these:

DA07u4W.jpg

Brilliantly enjoyable and I now understand why these flat format engines take so long to assemble - at one point it felt like we were building it from the inside out....!

It's not finished and you can bet I'll be there for as much of it as I can.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, map said:

Did some of this:

8VnTpFy.jpg

Then some more:

vq3TUXr.jpg

A bit of this...

t8JGwBY.jpg

DA07u4W.jpg

Brilliantly enjoyable and I now understand why these flat format engines take so long to assemble - at one point it felt like we were building it from the inside out....!

Looking good Matthew!

21 minutes ago, map said:

Did some of this:

8VnTpFy.jpg

Then some more:

vq3TUXr.jpg

A bit of this...

t8JGwBY.jpg

DA07u4W.jpg

Great stuff, what caused the rebuild?

59 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Great stuff, what caused the rebuild?

Wanting more performance. 

Existing engine is OK and would have stayed in place but for my seemingly boundless need to explore what's possible with a 986 whilst still keeping it "streetable" 🤷‍♂️

When the current engine is dropped out it will probably be prepped for storage.  

That said a few of the "go faster" bits from that motor might be finding their way to the For Sale section on this very forum as they're being superseded with "go fasterer" parts.  

My 986 stash of parts never really seems to reduce 🤦‍♂️

Edited by map
Typo

That last photo brought back memories of grinding in new valves in my dad's workshop many, many years ago. Spent many a happy(?) hour at that job. Don't think I ever had to do 24 in one go though.

I'm curious though - I seem to remember someone telling me that you couldn't do the job by hand anymore, as the valve seats are too hard these days to cope with unleaded fuel. Was I mis-informed?

James