What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 minute ago, jmdlister said:

I'm curious though - I seem to remember someone telling me that you couldn't do the job by hand anymore, as the valve seats are too hard these days to cope with unleaded fuel. Was I mis-informed?

James

In this instance the donor engine was dismantled and the valves have been removed from the heads and labelled according to their location.  All the working surfaces in the heads and on the valves have been thoroughly cleaned.  

The work you see in the last photo is about finessing the valve/seat interface rather than doing the work from scratch.  Each valve will go back into its "own" location which is where the factory originally installed it and where it had run for many miles in another car.

So it may be that new heads and valves cannot be hand seated but "used" can be.

No doubt someone will have the definitive answer.

That does look like it will be very much on the interesting side of quick.....what capacity have you taken it out to and will there be updates in a members rides/running reports thread?

Great work!

12 minutes ago, JimC2407 said:

That does look like it will be very much on the interesting side of quick.....what capacity have you taken it out to and will there be updates in a members rides/running reports thread?

Great work!

Thanks.

As there seems to be a bit of interest - this is one of the pistons and the big end of a conrod.

5QGvqP0.jpg

HeSQh0w.jpg

Rods are dowled H beam format (high strength: vertical, lateral and torsional) and for my engine have been specced with bolts to support >8500rpm.

Like the rods the pistons are things of beauty - too lovely to be out of sight which is why I've been such a princess 👸 about photographing them.

Combined weight of new rods and pistons saves about 1.2Kg across the 6 assemblies compared to Original Equipment, which is nice. 

Capacity to be measured but estimated at around 3.7 litres.  There will be a useful uplift in BHP and Torque.

Had a running report but lost interest in updating it a couple of years ago - the car is pretty highly developed but discretely tatty.

Edited by map

1 hour ago, map said:

So I finally got to help with the build of my own engine... 👍

Did some of this:

8VnTpFy.jpg

Then some more:

vq3TUXr.jpg

A bit of this...

t8JGwBY.jpg

And also almost all of these:

DA07u4W.jpg

Brilliantly enjoyable and I now understand why these flat format engines take so long to assemble - at one point it felt like we were building it from the inside out....!

It's not finished and you can bet I'll be there for as much of it as I can.

may i ask roughly how much have you had to spend to rebuild the engine?

1 hour ago, Nickyg63 said:

may i ask roughly how much have you had to spend to rebuild the engine?

Difficult to answer because there are so many variables - a careful look at Hartech and similar will give you a taste for the likely costs.

The reason I'm not just saying mine cost £x is simply because the route I'm taking isn't available to most owners and as such whatever the number is it isn't representative.  The other factor is that much of what's being doing to this motor simply wouldn't feature for the vast majority of rebuild situations.  Additionally this is a Stage1 build with options left open for subsequent development.....

All that said I'll try to provide a sense of what might be involved:

Materials: Probably £1k of non-reusable parts needed to rebuild these engines - items like gasket kits, bearing shells, head and big end bolts and so on and so on.  If you have to replace anything that's damaged then there's the cost of those items on top.  For example replacing a damaged Intermediate Shaft and Housing with the latest version for the M96 motor is around £1k. 

Labour: You're then looking at labour and having been involved with this I can see where the time goes. It's like building two engines on a common crank - it is more involved than a V config engine. 

A broken engine can often be more cheaply resolved by replacing with one from a written-off car - I have been there.......  A refresh of a fundamentally tired engine is a different matter and one that I would argue may be worth doing if you know you're keeping it a good while.

54 minutes ago, edc said:

Well Carillo rods aren't cheap ... 

Very true however Carrillo rods are much better value than a smashed engine casing - this is one of those components that went in to prepare for a possible subsequent development.

36 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

That's a big service your doing in preparation of the April meeting 🦄

Do you think it won't handle the west highland roads without a rebuild 😱😁

Ha Ha - I take my Scottish visits very seriously....

This has been in the planning for a good while so the timing is unrelated to anything other than opportunity.

Edited by map
Wordsmithing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, edc said:

There's no going back now you've broken those nylon bushes !

Nah I never use my cars parts,  I always keep the originals and just buy a spare, in this case the gear selector,  did the same same with the instrument surround and centre console,  although the garage is filling up with parts

Changed a catalyst that was blowing. Wasn't too hard to remove overall (Probably because it was taken off by Zuffenhaus last year when the removed the gearbox), but the oxygen sensors were a pain. One came out after some heating of the exhaust. The second one did come out but left a load of thread behind so I'll need a new sensor now. Doh. 🙄

One thing I found odd was that the sensors are 21mm and not the expected 22mm. No idea why this is and they appear to be genuine Bosch sensors. Maybe they've shrunk after so many years outside 😀