What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Clay bar cleaned the body work after washing it.  Now I know where ALL the paint defects are.  Think I'm even getting the first signs of rot below the driver side intake on the rear three quarter panel, three small bumps in the paint to the lower left.

That'll teach me. :crying_anim02:

• Thanks 1

I fitted a replacement roof drip pan/tray 🙂

I'm definitely not 'handy with spanners' but I want to improve and actually managed to do this one. I'm feeling pretty chuffed 😊

So this was where the water was coming in! Grrrr...

RjxaCaG.jpg

Replacement (used) acquired from 9Apart and fitted today...

s0KnWqT.jpg

Followed up the clay bar treatment from a few days ago with a full Auto Glym Super Resin Polish and the Extra Gloss treatment.  Cleaned all the glass and applied Rain-X to the screen.

Must check out the drip trays tomorrow have read the post above...

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, Stewart_H said:

I'm definitely not 'handy with spanners' but I want to improve and actually managed to do this one. I'm feeling pretty chuffed 😊

RjxaCaG.jpg

s0KnWqT.jpg

Nice one. I've always thought that piece of foam was an odd bit of design. But hey as long as it works. 

I

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, Stewart_H said:

RjxaCaG.jpg

s0KnWqT.jpg

I’m wanting to do that, but have been told its a mare to do, how long did it take you and how much did you pay for the drip tray?

Any issues with re aligning roof when putting back together? PM me if you don’t want to discuss price.

Ta

Changed my all discs and brake pads, two retaining screws on one of the discs had to be drilled out but apart from that, one of the easiest jobs ive done.

Apart from a school boy error, I couldn’t get the rear discs off, and when i got a bit of movement they would spring back just couldn’t figure it out, then I released I’d left the handbrake on 🤪

Edited by the baron

Earlier this week, had the car serviced again, only 400 miles and nearly a year between them!  Had the gearbox oils changed, wheels balanced and a rear tuning fork.  The car drives amazing, what a difference its made!

I can definitely recommend Quorn sports & classics in Leicester, for anyone who's local 

Today had to fit a battery as the old one was not the right one and if wasn't trickle charged it would go flat quick!!

Just got to fit my plugs now....

New GY Asymmetric 3 225/45/17 91Y fronts fitted today along with a tracking check and a/c recharge.  There was as too much toe in.  Car already feels better (amazing what a lighter wallet can do for your handling), more compliant and more responsive plus a nice blast of cold air on demand. 

Realigned wheel centres and readjusted tyre pressures when I got back from the tyre shop and painted wheel bolts silver so I can ditch the chrome plastic bolt covers fitted by a PO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the baron said:

I’m wanting to do that, but have been told its a mare to do, how long did it take you and how much did you pay for the drip tray?

Any issues with re aligning roof when putting back together? PM me if you don’t want to discuss price.

Ta

It probably took me about an hour and a half (please don't laugh those who are handy with spanners) 😁 I took my time and tried to be as careful as possible with the seemingly fragile tray, I constantly took pics and looked at the other side for fitting reference. I did struggle for quite a while to get one of the bolts back in and then realised if I released the roof closing handle (I closed it to try and ensure the roof was refitted 'square') I had more movement to get the last bolt lined up properly. It would have been much easier with another person to help as lifting off and reseating was a little awkward on my own.

I paid £35 inc delivery for the tray from 9Apart and it arrived the next day so I'm very pleased with their service 👍🏻 

Let me know if I can be of any more help 🙂

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

New GY Asymmetric 3 225/45/17 91Y fronts fitted today along with a tracking check and a/c recharge.  There was as too much toe in.  Car already feels better (amazing what a lighter wallet can do for your handling), more compliant and more responsive plus a nice blast of cold air on demand. 

Realigned wheel centres and readjusted tyre pressures when I got back from the tyre shop and painted wheel bolts silver so I can ditch the chrome plastic bolt covers fitted by a PO.

I've been thinking about painting my bolts too. Any recommendations on a decent paint to use?

2 hours ago, Stewart_H said:

I've been thinking about painting my bolts too. Any recommendations on a decent paint to use?

Hammerite smooth silver.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stewart_H said:

Probably others have ideas as well, but for simplicity as I had some and for one coat I used Hammerite smooth silver as @Boxob says above.  Just degreased the bolt heads in brake cleaner and made a carrier (hardboard with 22mm holes drilled in it) for the bolts so only the heads were exposed.  They look silver and clean, even the locking bolt.

Also I did only one or two from each wheel at a time I could keep the car on the ground.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, Stewart_H said:

Hammerite as suggested by others. Don't go too thick or it will come off when you use a spanner on them; as I found out! 

• Thanks 1

Today I fitted two new rear tyres. Also I've renewed the rear pads and now decided to renew all the brake lines, fluids and filters. Getting ready for the summer. 

I have a pair of Bridgestone n3 265 35 18 part worn tyres if they are any good to anyone. They have some good tread on them but I wanted matching tyres all round. If anyone is 8nterested pm me and I will measure the tread. 

20190520_115102-1512x2016-302x403.jpg

Got the IMS bearing replaced with a hybrid ceramic upgrade, new rear main seal, new clutch kit, oil (Millers 5W 50) & filters. 

For the record, it's a 2003 2.7 with 51,000 miles and the original IMS had its seals intact and feels fine. There was a minor weep from the RMS so hopefully this will leave it good for the foreseeable future.

Had a good three days on the car recently, making the most of the lift that my old man put in his garage for tinkering with various cars. 

In preparation for an alignment next week, I installed the washers that hold both front springs in place and were missed by the previous owner's garage, changed the rear ARB bushes and replaced both rear coffin arms. Also replaced the two OS CV boots and hammerited various bits of surface rust on the subframe and shock absorbers. 

My hands are covered in scratches and I'll have dirt under my nails for weeks! :-). After the alignment, top of the list is the OS fan resistor, checking the drain holes and putting some grilles on the bumper. Oh, and driving it over the summer! 

Driving home last saturday. Turned the lights on and the dipped beam litronics where lighting up the trees and disturbing the roosting birds. This created an eventful journey home blinding fellow motorists. Sorry if you were on the A40 last saturday. Checked in to this site the next day and discovered that the Litronics auto leveling were controlled from a switch on the suspension wish bone. Went investigating and sure enough the connecting rod from the wish bone to the switch was broken. One ball was seized solid. I had the car serviced two days previous and I suspect that when they put the car up on the hoist the suspension will have gone to its full extent. The ball on the connecting rod will have seized at this point so when the car was returned to the ground it  sheared it off. Hence my problem. One new connecting rod and 10 minutes with the spanners and copper grease ( it will be easier to undo next time!) job done. New one is radically improved, either it is for multi use or there has been problems before. Lights back to normal. Pictures attached for those interested.

rYwav3v.jpg

k3tfxbf.jpg

ZZdGf9r.jpg

43 minutes ago, Hewy said:

No. didn't know there was one. This evenings job then. Thanks.

Just spotted that the item you fitted is adjustable.

From memory the front and rear links were different lengths so maybe they moved to adjustable to reduce SKU count or it is in fact an upgraded part. 

Packed car and fitted new Boot-bag and headed 120 miles down A14/M11/M25/M2 to Chatham for first leg of trip to the Loire Valley. Ran nicely with the retro fitted cruise, new front tyres and tracking. Rear visibility not too compromised with Boot-bag, only about half the height of the mirror is obscured.

4 hours ago, map said:

Just spotted that the item you fitted is adjustable.

From memory the front and rear links were different lengths so maybe they moved to adjustable to reduce SKU count or it is in fact an upgraded part. 

Checked the rear this evening. Yes it is twice the length, the new one fitted to the front I doubt it would open up enough. Thanks for the heads up