What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 4/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, stevemag said:

Gave the engine bay a quick clean and new air filter fitted

Engine was given a quick wd40 oily rag wipe over.as it's never seen that's good enough

It wasn't too mucky, last opened in 2018 

never in my life has changing an air filter taken half an hour 😂:rocks:20200420_104329.jpg20200420_104309.jpg20200420_104254.jpgbut I did clean the drains and lubricate the roof mechanism, nice smooth action now 

Looking good...what did you do to lubricate the roof.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:29 PM, Mark Lane said:

Completed my brake overhaul/refurb. 

49793084691_e9e97e4bb1_c.jpg

Very impressed with the paint and decals from BCS. 

Cheers

Mark

Where did you get the screws that hold the disc in place, much better than the phillips head screw. 

1 minute ago, Kennyfin73 said:

Where did you get the screws that hold the disc in place, much better than the phillips head screw. 

Hi Kenny,

Yes the existing screws had the heads all mashed up (and a couple were missing), so I got these from here : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-TORX-COUNTERSUNK-MACHINE-SCREWS-SIX-LOBE-DIN-965/222414749205

Cheers,
Mark

1 minute ago, Mark Lane said:

Hi Kenny,

Yes the existing screws had the heads all mashed up (and a couple were missing), so I got these from here : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-TORX-COUNTERSUNK-MACHINE-SCREWS-SIX-LOBE-DIN-965/222414749205

Cheers,
Mark

👍🏻 Nice one! I have got one that ain’t coming out, not too fussed at the moment but its a grinder job if i need to change the disc. 

26 minutes ago, Theo86 said:

Looking good...what did you do to lubricate the roof.

All pivot points lubricated with drops of 3:1oil.

All squeaks stopped,roof action is now very smooth.

oil "sparingly "

When you have the rear window up out of the way,it's evident where you need to oil.

Couple of drops per pivot point.

Dab of "kleenol" grease on locating pins

Edited by stevemag
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

Mark If the screws not coming out of the disc put an old screwdriver in and smack it a few times with a big hammer. That usually does the trick!

Good luck couldn't move mine with anything last week.  If no joy, drill through with 4.5mm then 5mm so as not to damage the threads and to only give  small amount of swarf left in the threads and run through with an M6 tap if you have on or a longer M6 bolt to clear the threads.  Replace with M6x12 or 16 countersunk of any head type and use assembly compound on the threads.  I had spares from a previous brake disc change on a VW Golf.  Arguably you only need one bolt as many manufacturers use, not two.

Spent several hours trying to adjust my roof so that the latch doesn't strike the wind deflector - no luck.  Any help much appreciated.

Old roof worked fine with deflector but, due to an unrepairable/replaceable window, I replaced the roof in Autumn with another.  I changed out the roof and frame assembly.  As it was Autumn, I had removed the deflector, as recommended in the manual, and the replacement roof worked fine.  I've recently put the deflector back in and now the roof latch strikes the deflector on passing.

I've loosened all the 6 mounting bolts (in fact I removed them all) and tried to shift the whole frame with no success - there's not a lot of adjustment, and tinkered with the adjustment forks but they only seem to affect fore/aft positioning and don't seem to affect the height the roof rises to.

Essentially, I need to lift the whole assembly, or the angle of the roof folding needs to adjusted, but I can't see how to do either.  I've searched BoXa net, Pistonheads, 986forum and Rennlist with no joy.  Any guidance gratefully received!

took my roll bar out to paint it , then had same trouble as Paul so It would be doubtful it’s the shims under roll bar , I loosened all the roof mounts and full closed roof the done up the bolts as best as I could the opened roof and re- tightened everything, it was better but not perfect 

24 minutes ago, V6reu said:

took my roll bar out to paint it , then had same trouble as Paul so It would be doubtful it’s the shims under roll bar , I loosened all the roof mounts and full closed roof the done up the bolts as best as I could the opened roof and re- tightened everything, it was better but not perfect 

Got to be worth ago if OP has tried everything else?

11 hours ago, Paul chocks said:

Spent several hours trying to adjust my roof so that the latch doesn't strike the wind deflector - no luck.  Any help much appreciated.

Old roof worked fine with deflector but, due to an unrepairable/replaceable window, I replaced the roof in Autumn with another.  I changed out the roof and frame assembly.  As it was Autumn, I had removed the deflector, as recommended in the manual, and the replacement roof worked fine.  I've recently put the deflector back in and now the roof latch strikes the deflector on passing.

I've loosened all the 6 mounting bolts (in fact I removed them all) and tried to shift the whole frame with no success - there's not a lot of adjustment, and tinkered with the adjustment forks but they only seem to affect fore/aft positioning and don't seem to affect the height the roof rises to.

Essentially, I need to lift the whole assembly, or the angle of the roof folding needs to adjusted, but I can't see how to do either.  I've searched BoXa net, Pistonheads, 986forum and Rennlist with no joy.  Any guidance gratefully received!

Just read on Renntech they have rectified this problem buy loosening the  3 x13mm bolts on the hood frame , one side at a time and then get someone to pull the frame backwards as  you tighten them up , then repeat in the other side 

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Good luck couldn't move mine with anything last week.  If no joy, drill through with 4.5mm then 5mm so as not to damage the threads and to only give  small amount of swarf left in the threads and run through with an M6 tap if you have on or a longer M6 bolt to clear the threads.  Replace with M6x12 or 16 countersunk of any head type and use assembly compound on the threads.  I had spares from a previous brake disc change on a VW Golf.  Arguably you only need one bolt as many manufacturers use, not two.

I had to drill mine too, real PITA

7 minutes ago, the baron said:

I had to drill mine too, real PITA

One of those jobs that once you are expecting it, it is very straight forward and you know which tools to grab.

3 hours ago, the baron said:

Exactly, all about the tools 😉

Tools are turning into my second 'mid-life crisis' hobby, the first being buying the Boxster...

34 minutes ago, map said:

I sort of washed it. 

Probably best not to wash the old girl as you will discover all sorts of nasties that you've not seen before, first time wash in 3yrs, your car is all about the hidden gems, in the engine and gearbox etc.😂🤣😂🤣

11 minutes ago, the baron said:

Probably best not to wash the old girl as you will discover all sorts of nasties that you've not seen before, first time wash in 3yrs, your car is all about the hidden gems, in the engine and gearbox etc.😂🤣😂🤣

🤣🤣🤣

Too late it’s been “sorta washed” and you’re right there’s all sorts lurking beneath several protective strata of road grime. 

Seriously reckon the only panels that are OK (at best) are the boot lid and clamshell.  Every other bit of bodywork carries the wear marks of something that gets used - a lot. 

But having used it to go and do isolation care with my vulnerable Father-in-Law earlier today I was reminded - forcibly - about the “hidden gems”.

Such wonderful cars. 

• Like 1

Thanks @V6reu, don't suppose you have a link to Renntech post?  I tried to find it but nothing jumped out.  If not, I'll try as you suggest - lots of free time!

Apologies to all - should have put this in Technical Folder!

https://www.renntech.org/topic/37964-soft-top-adjustment/
hi Paul this is the link sorry it’s took so long was fitting heated seat kit 👍

Thanks @V6reu, don't suppose you have a link to Renntech post?  I tried to find it but nothing jumped out.  If not, I'll try as you suggest - lots of free time!

Apologies to all - should have put this in Technical Folder!

Forgot I also had this saved , worth a read 

http://v12.dyndns.org/Porsche/Boxster 986/986 Group 6 Body Exterior.pdf