What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

17 hours ago, dunks said:

so todays task... Fitted the microphone from the hands free kit into a spare switch blank

microphone.jpg

Great minds think alike, this was going to be my solution too! Spare Switch blanks are cheap too if a mistake is made.

54 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

Great minds think alike, this was going to be my solution too! Spare Switch blanks are cheap too if a mistake is made.

13mm wood drill bit in the centre of the switch ( I had a spare and ruined it, by trying to put too far to one side !!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edc said:

Both very neat solutions but did you not look at putting the mic in the OE place behind the small grille on the instrument binnacle? 

various internet rumours suggested it wasnt a very good place for it, so i just didnt bother. Probably all internet b*ll*cks.

Edited by SuperPaulie

3 hours ago, edc said:

Both very neat solutions but did you not look at putting the mic in the OE place behind the small grille on the instrument binnacle? 

I looked at doing this but my mic was too big so it sits neatly on the instrument cluster, maybe that's why the above didnt use that

Hi

Busy day for me, got my new tiptronic sump on and buttoned up. Also put in about 4.5 litres of fluid. Will finish that  process off tomorrow and then get all the bracing back on the rear. I really have had enough of the sump. This is the 3rd reseal, but with a new sump and plugs hopefully the last.

Berni

Hi

Finished filling up the tiptronic, then rustproofed the new sump with Dinitrol 3125.

Put the aluminium sheet brace back on. Had to use a ratchet strap to get the holes to line up. In fact the roll bar bolts still do not. I will have to get the strap out again tomorrow. The rear suspension on these cars is just not man enough IMHO. I am also going to get a lower strut to tie the back of the suspension together better.

On the plus side the engine ran great!

Berni

A few of us have the rear Ali lower brace. Works well and noticeable effect to tighten up the rear. 

30 minutes ago, edc said:

A few of us have the rear Ali lower brace. Works well and noticeable effect to tighten up the rear. 

Hello, which one is popular? I see a couple of alternatives. I actually ordered some aluminium off of eBay to make one up, but is not going to be as straightforward with my tiptronic. 

I need something which just bolts on from below without removing the sheet metal brace.

thanks!

Berni

A few here have fabricated for others in the last. It's basically a hex bar just like on the Pedro's garage website. On a manual it just bolts in.

9 hours ago, edc said:

Here it is

This is going on my 'to do when it stops breaking things and I have a bit of money' list.  I have a friend who can do the machining of the hex bar so should be quite budget friendly.

Today , removed the metal (solid spun) wheel centres, (to be refurbished ) and fitted plain plastic silver wheel centres

I may even be able to hit the road after 6th July (wales lockdown regulations )...........

Took out the drivers side headlight to replace a build and found a piece of wire behind it with a loop on, I presume this is some kind of drunk release but what use is it behind the light when you need to pop the drunk to get at it, or should it be located elsewhere?

18 minutes ago, Mark Hunt said:

Took out the drivers side headlight to replace a build and found a piece of wire behind it with a loop on, I presume this is some kind of drunk release but what use is it behind the light when you need to pop the drunk to get at it, or should it be located elsewhere?

Yes emergency release. 
There is a way to get in if the battery goes through the fusebox I believe. But I relocated mine so it’s accessible through the tow point on the front bumper 👍🏼

2 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

Replaced both boot gas struts and gave the hinges and pivots a clean and lube. Now the boot lid doesn't fall on my bonce any more!

Something I must get round to doing vothe front and rear, but I'm fed up of spending money on it so maybe in a month or when my head hurts to much.

• Like 1

Pulled AOS out. Looked first couple of YT videos of it and was a bit concerned of the harder plastic tubes coming off, but those were fairly easy  with my car - also the bottom one after I moved the oir fill tube on side. Total time used was approximately 20 minutes :)

New parts (also the bottom rubber hose + the hose connector with the blue clip) should arrive by Tuesday and I'll hope that the installation would go also smoothly...

There were some oil in the tube going to the intake manifold:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o3zl1t3chxq2j3/IMG_6226.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2y8am4bac9wpqi/IMG_6230.jpeg?dl=0

Hi

Put my wheel arch liners back in. I really do not like wheel arch liners. Always so simple looking a task. What could possibly go wrong?

Also put the diagonal braces back on at the front. Had to wire brush them quite heavily. Then applied some Dinitrol to keep the rust at bay, but they will need replacing. Also found some rust under the underseal in a couple of places. Quite heavy in one spot. The underseal comes off easily if there is rust underneath. More wire brusing then Dinitrol. I also rustproofed inside the front chassis legs and sills. I will do the chassis legs again in the future though. Also put the anti roll bar on at the rear. Should have the car moving under its own power tomorrow.

All the best

Berni

4 hours ago, John2000 said:

Something I must get round to doing vothe front and rear, but I'm fed up of spending money on it so maybe in a month or when my head hurts to much.

I'm going through one of those phases with mine too.  Fortunately I did the front and rear struts last year before other thing started failing...