What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 new rear tyres today

& came home to my Amazon £12 remote central locking kit.  Really easy to wire, it took me longer to remove the passenger seat!  I think I may have an issue within my drivers side lock mechanism though....

8RAqY9s.jpg

qBnDonl.jpg

Removed the passenger seat to get access to the Immobiliser module:

XPLH3xs.jpg

Where all the magic happens...

hqU60y0.jpg

So, as you can see below, you splice 4 wires (lock/unlock signals & L&R indicators), ground 2 more, find a permanent 12v and earth.  It’s a 15 minute job once the seat is out the way.

ZnTEVc4.jpg

Module loom, I taped up the unused wires:
44A8wLe.jpg

Result!! 👍🏻
frXshyO.mp4

@KevM79 - if this substitution doesn't create any unexpected/undesirable outcomes then you may have personally saved a bunch of people some horrendous spend in the future.

Please keep us posted on any wrinkles that emerge.

Good. Work. Sir.

Hi

This is great. Shame it does not do the frunk/trunk, but that would be asking too much!

So it locks and unlocks the car, but also sets the alarm?

I think from memory when I use the key in the door to unlock my car it does not unlock the passenger one. I have to do that from inside. Maybe my car has a problem also, or maybe its normal.

All the best

Berni

1 hour ago, map said:

@KevM79 - if this substitution doesn't create any unexpected/undesirable outcomes then you may have personally saved a bunch of people some horrendous spend in the future.

Please keep us posted on any wrinkles that emerge.

Good. Work. Sir.

I cant claim this one to be fair, its been done before!

@Berni29 , another 20mins would have the boot button working also, but I havent gotten round to it yet.  My car has cable releases, but a 2-button key, so the rear lid does have a working actuator.

I have a few wrinkles to iron, but we are 95% there. 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:14 AM, ½cwt said:

Packed it full and headed to France for a week! :)

And unpacked again at this rather nice gite in the north Loire near Le Mans that we've been visiting for a few years now.  Cracking run down the old N138 from Rouen for those Le Mans veterans out there who remember the days before the autoroute was built.

64dXajQ.jpg 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

And unpacked again at this rather nice gite in the north Loire near Le Mans that we've been visiting for a few years now.  Cracking run down the old N138 from Rouen for those Le Mans veterans out there who remember the days before the autoroute was built.

64dXajQ.jpg 

Looking good have a good week I'll miss driving in France this year.

13 hours ago, John2000 said:

Looking good have a good week I'll miss driving in France this year.

Nice surprise is that they have already rescinded the blanket 80km/h limit change on all roads that were previously 90km/h and raised the limit again on a lot of sections so makes N and D road driving more enjoyable again.  Although I noted that The Netherlands is going down the 90 to 80km/h route later this year.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, myfirstboxster said:

Oil pressure / temperature gauge part 2 , I thought the single oil pressure gauge looked a bit off so I added a oil temperature gauge just to balance things out a bit

5oH9YCN.jpg

Any chance of getting a picture with all of the dash?  I have contemplated doing this my self, but cant find a decent set of matching gauges I like.

Hi

I think the best matching ones come from the VDO range. I think the 5 bar versions are most appropriate. I wanted to do this but have done the console delete. I would like to find somewhere else to put the oil pressure. 

All the best

Berni

Edited by Berni29

Today I've ordered from Paul Adamson of this parish, the rear speaker grills and the 4" speaker hangers

I'll soon have rear speakers in the 986......

Must get some  actual speakers , speaker wire, connectors, plugs to attach to the rear of the cdr22 unit.........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I think the best matching ones come from the VDO range. I think the 5 bar versions are most appropriate. I wanted to do this but have done the console delete. I would like to find somewhere else to put the oil pressure. 

All the best

Berni

I didn't really fancy splashing out for the VDO ones, as I am unsure if I would be happy the final result.  But yes a 5 bar oil pressure gauge would be the appropriate choice with a volt meter.

On 7/25/2020 at 12:39 AM, KevM79 said:

2 new rear tyres today

& came home to my Amazon £12 remote central locking kit.  Really easy to wire, it took me longer to remove the passenger seat!  I think I may have an issue within my drivers side lock mechanism though....

8RAqY9s.jpg

qBnDonl.jpg

Removed the passenger seat to get access to the Immobiliser module:

XPLH3xs.jpg

Where all the magic happens...

hqU60y0.jpg

So, as you can see below, you splice 4 wires (lock/unlock signals & L&R indicators), ground 2 more, find a permanent 12v and earth.  It’s a 15 minute job once the seat is out the way.

ZnTEVc4.jpg

Module loom, I taped up the unused wires:
44A8wLe.jpg

Result!! 👍🏻
frXshyO.mp4

This looks like a great idea, definitely keep posted how you get on with it regarding any glitches etc. didn't even realise you could do this, thanks for posting

5 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

All the best

Berni

996 dash replacement seems to be your answer. (See 101 projects and threads on various forums), you get voltage and oil pressure gauges at the extremes of the dash that are blanked out on the 986.  You'd need a good friend with PRS 2, PRS3 or PIWIS to reset mileage if the donor wasn't close to your mileage, programme in OBC, cruise etc. as applicable.  With this you don't have to find anywhere to put them.

Hi

I fitted one of these cigarette lighter FM units today so I can stream music from the phone and make hands free calls. Works acceptably well and is a simple and cheap solution to the problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XYY9W2X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Berni

Edited by Berni29
  • Like 1