What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Did a first pass over with soft top cleaner, makes a big difference. Will be doing one more clean on the seem's before putting some resto dye on there and sealing it.

After/Before:

lfO3MNMl.jpg

Edited by alexp

34 minutes ago, alexp said:

Did a first pass over with soft top cleaner, makes a big difference. Will be doing one more clean on the seem's before putting some resto dye on there and sealing it.

After/Before:

lfO3MNMl.jpg

you did well to get that red line so straight and not run all the way down your window. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

£43 delivered. Lesson learned. 

Hi, You say that but I do not think it is actually 30 quid. Maybe they had a special offer on. OPC Sidcup is 55 + VAT, and I can get it from Type 911 for 60, but i'm not sure Type 911 are including the bit of rubber that goes in the bottom. The OPC is for both parts.

Berni

42 minutes ago, the baron said:

It always surprises me when the OPC is cheaper and invariably it always is.🤔

The non-smoking ashtray replacement is about £55 and the rubber mat that sits in it is about £6.50 (both incl VAT, beware Design 911 list prices without VAT) from an OPC based on what I paid last year..  You could argue that the salvaged item also has free 'age patina' included as the new item stands out a little in my original 20 year old centre console..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alison said:

Cleaned the roof - twice in the last couple of days....

Cleaned the headlights with Mothers

Taking seats out later to clean the leather this afternoon....

So didn’t take seats out, as I don’t have the special wrench...typical of Porsche to be different!

but I did find 

1. A long nose circlip pliers

2. a coke bottle from the previous owner
3. A headband 
4. A great big puddle under The drivers seat!!! I’m hoping it’s from doing up the roof as I made the complete error of washing the roof and shampoo off with them down - opps

Also hoovered the inside and waterproofed the roof.

al

1 minute ago, Alison said:

great big puddle under The drivers seat!!! I’m hoping it’s from doing up the roof as I made the complete error of washing the roof and shampoo off with them down - opps

Oops indeed! Have you checked passenger side? Puddles are notorious for frying electrics under the seat.

2 minutes ago, Alison said:

So didn’t take seats out, as I don’t have the special wrench...typical of Porsche to be different!

You can use an ordinary 12 point socket on these seat fixing bolts, just don't be too forceful.

16 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The non-smoking ashtray replacement is about £55 and the rubber mat that sits in it is about £6.50 (both incl VAT, beware Design 911 list prices without VAT) from an OPC based on what I paid last year..  You could argue that the salvaged item also has free 'age patina' included as the new item stands out a little in my original 20 year old centre console..

I think you were over charged my friend, I bought a cup holder and the ashtray delete with rubber mat all in for £53 inc VAT, that was with my PCGB membership car discount. The ashtray was around £30 and the cupholder £23

Just now, the baron said:

I think you were over charged my friend, I bought a cup holder and the ashtray delete with rubber mat all in for £53 inc VAT, that was with my PCGB membership car discount. The ashtray was around £30 and the cupholder £23

Damn, and £30 for cup holders. They saw me coming, again!

26 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Oops indeed! Have you checked passenger side? Puddles are notorious for frying electrics under the seat.

Passenger side is dry to the touch.... I’m wondering if the failure of the key buttons has something to do with that. The old owner kept the car outside, I have a garage...I shroud take the seat and carpet up to dry it, I suppose!,,

27 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You can use an ordinary 12 point socket on these seat fixing bolts, just don't be too forceful.

Oh... well, I’m happy with what I’ve done now, although it looks like the seat’ll have to come out to dry the carpet!!

3 minutes ago, Alison said:

Oh... well, I’m happy with what I’ve done now, although it looks like the seat’ll have to come out to dry the carpet!!

There is a joint between the floor carpet and the rear firewall carpet. Wi th h the seat forward it's possible to get a hand in the gap and pull up the floor carpet enough to slide a newspaper under it. Once the news paper is in place stand on the floor carpet to squeeze out the water from the under carpet foam. Repeat. Eventually the foam will not have excess water. Then use a rolled or folded newspaper to raise the floor carpet to allow air to circulate. 

25 minutes ago, the baron said:

Hi

Where from please?

Tks

Berni