What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

What’s wrong with the routing?
I zip tied my new pipe to the old pipe as I bent it and it pretty much just fell into the same routing as the old one. 

I think it just needs tweaking to not be touching on the chassis, but I was being economical with the cunifer to avoid buying another coil, which I eventually had to.  I may well remake the whole rear pipe and try to avoid a joiner this time now I know a bit more about what I'm doing.  Most jobs come out better second time around.

Hi everyone 

I've been lurking on this forum ever since I got my 2004 986 S just over a year ago. Just clocked up 38k today. Recently had a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2s fitted to replace the Chinese budget tyres that were on there. Took her out for a decent blast in the sunshine today. I can really notice the difference in handling. She feels more sure footed and stable. I also had a new red hood fitted by Car Hood Warehouse in the summer and loving the results. 

Looking forward to having more of a presence on this forum.

Edited by Boxer Barry
Spelling
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Boxer Barry said:

Hi everyone 

I've been lurking on this forum ever since I got my 2004 986 S just over a year ago. Just clocked up 38k today. Recently had a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2s fitted to replace the Chinese budget tyres that were on there. Took her out for a decent blast in the sunshine today. I can really notice the difference in handling. She feels more sure footed and stable. I also had a new red hood fitted by Car Hood Warehouse in the summer and loving the results. 

Looking forward to having more of a presence on this forum.

Be good to see a pic of the new hood on the car. I do think red looks good with silver or white.

Finished assembling all 4 corners with all new suspension, coffin arms, 2 replacement hubs, new control arms, new bolts and adjusters plus a few other things.

Decided to salvage cats. Had them shot blasted and  welded in a couple of places. Drilled out the connecting flanges and started bolting up…

Started torquing up all suspension components. Noticed Design911 had supplied wrong bolts for coffin arms…ARBs and old shot blasted cats fitted. Fitted various fittings underneath that were blasted and powder coated. Plenty more to do…

Removed the front engine mount this afternoon with a view to fit the Powerflex add on Poly, "fill in" bushes to strengthen and firm up the original. Of course my original mount is shot, split in 2 places! Will return the Poly bush add ons and purchase a new Poly mount...Typical!

• Like 1

My little car hasn’t had much attention recently; sprog turning 17 = 13 plate Mini that has been taking most of my attention, and getting used more than the Boxster.

Anyhow, she’s been used a bit recently so needed a wash - after which I was horrified to notice damp on the sills, then of course wet carpet on the door cards, water on the passengers rubber mat, etc.

Cue stripping down both the doors, removing the old adhesive from the membrane, new adhesive, etc. and leaving a fan heater running in the car for a few hours.

Carpet feels dry, but I know the foams can hold a LOT of water, and there were traces of damp on the back of the rubber mat, so fingers crossed. Dry as a bone under the passenger seat though.

While I was at it I decided it was time to finally replace the mirror trims, both of which had some broken clips, so nice to have some fully intact items on now.

The door speakers were the only originals in the car, so popped in some Alpine SXE-1350S woofers.

Finally lubricated the seat runners and height adjuster, both were a bit stiff!

Fingers crossed she doesn’t still leak!

Took it for a drive to deliver some presents and gave it a gift of a full tank of V-Power at a mere 153.9p/l (and £3 off from Shell Go).  Doesn't often get a full tank unless we're going off on a touring trip.

On 12/24/2023 at 10:31 AM, phazed said:

Removed the front engine mount this afternoon with a view to fit the Powerflex add on Poly, "fill in" bushes to strengthen and firm up the original. Of course my original mount is shot, split in 2 places! Will return the Poly bush add ons and purchase a new Poly mount...Typical!

Let us know how you like it?

considering it when I do my water pump 

Took the mount off last night to find that the bush was fubared, typical!

Ordered a new replacement bush (PowerFlex) from Design911 which will be delivered tomorrow. Removed the existing rubber bush this afternoon. Quite easy.

Design will take back the add-on PowerFlex bush kit. I have a couple of wrongly delivered pivot bolts which are going back as well.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Took the mount off last night to find that the bush was fubared, typical!

Ordered a new replacement bush (PowerFlex) from Design911 which will be delivered tomorrow. Removed the existing rubber bush this afternoon. Quite easy.

Design will take back the add-on PowerFlex bush kit. I have a couple of wrongly delivered pivot bolts which are going back as well.

Was your exhaust drooping?

I don’t think so, but I only looked at the car for about five minutes before I put it on the ramp and started taking it to pieces! :)

On 12/24/2023 at 5:31 PM, phazed said:

Hi Peter, is that front mount and the two gearbox mounts fairly accessible if the car was not apart like yours currently is?