What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Removed the remainder of all suspension apart from the two rear suspension units which are left, hanging by the three bolts on each side as the roof isn’t yet down! Everything else removed, including the rear left and right Alloy sub frames as all the pivot adjustment bolts are seized in the probably original 21-year-old bushes! Car now looks like it is ready for the scrapyard!
Have the dampers, springs and deep sump to fit. Still waiting on a few other parts and will order polybushed control arms and a few other bits and pieces from 911 today.

Not going to do too much at the moment as even in the garage it is bloody cold!

Also cleaned up all four calipers as well yesterday and may if the mood takes me try and remove the remnants of the one seized brake nipple.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:09 PM, phazed said:

Removed the remainder of all suspension apart from the two rear suspension units which are left, hanging by the three bolts on each side as the roof isn’t yet down! Everything else removed, including the rear left and right Alloy sub frames as all the pivot adjustment bolts are seized in the probably original 21-year-old bushes! Car now looks like it is ready for the scrapyard!
Have the dampers, springs and deep sump to fit. Still waiting on a few other parts and will order polybushed control arms and a few other bits and pieces from 911 today.

Not going to do too much at the moment as even in the garage it is bloody cold!

Also cleaned up all four calipers as well yesterday and may if the mood takes me try and remove the remnants of the one seized brake nipple.

Spyder Performance sell poly arms and are quite reasonable 

Yes, but you cannot fit polybushes to then as the diameter of the pattern bushes is smaller. Got a fair deal from Design 911 so expecting a delivery on Monday.

Will be removing the standard new bushes, so will have a load of these kicking around!

16 hours ago, phazed said:

Yes, but you cannot fit polybushes to then as the diameter of the pattern bushes is smaller. Got a fair deal from Design 911 so expecting a delivery on Monday.

Will be removing the standard new bushes, so will have a load of these kicking around!

I didn't realise that. So are you saying the pattern arms Spyder sell are different to OE arms?

Had an annoying blowing on the near side and couldn’t find anything obvious. 
seemed to be coming from the Cat so replaced it with a BM from parts in motion. 
came the next day really nicely made and fitted perfectly. 
Went for the approved Cat as mines a 2003. 
The other side looks bad now so just ordered another one. 

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Spyder also sell poly bushed arms so I'm curious now where they get their bushes if these are different.

It isn't difficult to get poly bushes made to chosen sizes as long as you want a quantity, it isn't a one car set sort of thing though.

Peeled the still frozen half cover off it (parked on north side of house) so I could dry it as it defrosted in the winter sun in the south facing garden, ready to use as a daily for the next few days whilst The Better ½'s Golf is in the body shop for some corrections to the condition we bought it in (also having wheels refurbed too). 

Then took it for a run out for the first time in over a week.

Today I tried to change the parking light bulb in my headlight after many attempts trying to get the headlight out by turning the release key the wrong way. When it eventually gave in, the parking light bulb was the wrong one and back to the drawing board.

If anyone's interested, this is the correct one for the headlights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CK79WNYK/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

I can't help with how to replace it, as much as I'd love to give something back to this helpful and knowledgable forum.

3 hours ago, kdh said:

Today I tried to change the parking light bulb in my headlight after many attempts trying to get the headlight out by turning the release key the wrong way. When it eventually gave in, the parking light bulb was the wrong one and back to the drawing board.

If anyone's interested, this is the correct one for the headlights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CK79WNYK/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

I can't help with how to replace it, as much as I'd love to give something back to this helpful and knowledgable forum.

Yep, its an H6 bulb.  When one of mine went I got a pair in a packet so changed both and kept the old good one as a spare.  Once you have the lamp unit out replacing it is pretty straight forward and a lot mor convenient than in most cars that don't have pop out headlamps.

I was impressed at how easy it was to remove the 986 headlamp, especially as it conveniently left the washers intact on the car. I had predicted a bit of a job disconnecting the washers but the lamp unit came out in the seconds.

7 hours ago, phazed said:

I was impressed at how easy it was to remove the 986 headlamp, especially as it conveniently left the washers intact on the car. I had predicted a bit of a job disconnecting the washers but the lamp unit came out in the seconds.

Yep a brilliant bit of design. Got to be the easiest head light removal of any car.

1 hour ago, jonogt6 said:

Yep a brilliant bit of design. Got to be the easiest head light removal of any car.

Unless I'm doing it.

Thanks Daboy3000. And who do you use in the area for servicing and maintenance if you don't mind me asking? I need new discs and pads and possibly brake lines.

Years ago, my wife’s Megane CC.

jack up, remove wheel, remove access panel and employ 10 year old daughter to squeeze her hand in and replace bulb. Reverse procedure.

5th gear did an article on same car . Took an AA man, fully equipped about 40 minutes iirc.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, technics100 said:

Made a bracket and mounted a fire extinguisher..

Y6ZViOz.jpg

@Escy what was your real life experience of these? Do you remember how long it lasted? I've heard they really don't last long, but maybe I'm thinking of the thinner ones.

Apologies if I'm raking over trauma...