What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

10 hours ago, edc said:

You wrote earlier if it ain't broke don't fix it no mention of inspection. Nevertheless, whether you inspect and you think it's good or whether you inspect and you think it's bad, it can still break and if it does you probably won't be fixing it if the engine is grenaded. 

Here's my original post again, "inspect" is at end of the first line:

14 hours ago, markjh said:

I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. I would leave it until you need to change the clutch, then inspect the IMS before deciding what, if anything to do at that point.

Had a set back today with mine, turns out the cam chain lock tool delivered today is for a 3-chain engine, rather than 5-chain, took me over an hour to work out why it wouldn't fit.🤔 

1 hour ago, markjh said:

Here's my original post again, "inspect" is at end of the first line:

Bear in mind that the only way to really inspect it is remove it, in which case you'd put a new one in anyway.  Just beware of the massively expensive ceramic bearings and oil fed kits that are out there, they are a sledge hammer to crack a nut at the same time as draining your wallet.  And as I recall at least one of the ceramic versions says change at 60k miles which makes it a service item!

Discovered that my 02, 3.2S has PSM.

Also has heated seats, glass rear panel and 3 intermediate hoops on the hood:

Could it be a face lift?

Also fitted the Toyosports s/s exhaust manifolds. Removed the suspension cross beam, had it shot blasted, painted and refitted it. Ditto the fuel tank straps and ARB’s.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Could it be a face lift?

Also fitted the Toyosports s/s exhaust manifolds. Removed the suspension cross beam, had it shot blasted, painted and refitted it. Ditto the fuel tank straps and ARB’s.

If you're up in the air already then add the rear brace too. It connects the lower part of the rear struts into a box section. 

4 hours ago, phazed said:

Could it be a face lift?

Did you check against the chassis number details I posted?  2003 cars were built form August 2002, so if registered in the last 3 months of 2002 (allowing for shipping and distribution time) it could well be a 2003 model year car.

3 hours ago, edc said:

If you're up in the air already then add the rear brace too. It connects the lower part of the rear struts into a box section. 

Message @bally4563 for these braces, about £60 IIRC but he will confirm.

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Did you check against the chassis number details I posted?  2003 cars were built form August 2002, so if registered in the last 3 months of 2002 (allowing for shipping and distribution time) it could well be a 2003 model year car.

Message @bally4563 for these braces, about £60 IIRC but he will confirm.

£70 with price of materials have gone through the roof , all In delivery etc

• Thanks 1

Cleared the airbag fault code I was left with after doing my door speaker upgrade.  Disconnected an reconnected the A pillar plug and all is good, although I think it may not have cleared last time because I didn't press the button for the final confirmation... Doh!

Only owners and fanatics notice the details.

I have just added spacers to my 2002 986 S . About a month ago I swapped out the original twist mags for BBS wheels off a 2002 Carrera.

B7.jpg

B4.jpg

The rear offsets are different for these wheels, and the result (about 10mm inward) set me searching for spacers. The ended up as H&R 15mm at the rear and 14mm at the front.

2.jpg

4.jpg

My neighbour could not see any difference.

The car drives with a more planted feel. The front slight "squirreliness" has gone. I had put this down to new tyres (Michelin Club Sport 4). 

1.jpg

Worked on the seats with a leather rejuvenator.  They came up a treat.

7.jpg

My wife's eyes rolled into her head when I showed her the new pedals ...

8.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

On 11/10/2023 at 5:24 PM, phazed said:

Could it be a face lift?

If it has a drop down hinged cubby hole it's a facelift. The heated glass rear screen too. 

44 minutes ago, Amaboknaai said:

If it has a drop down hinged cubby hole it's a facelift. The heated glass rear screen too. 

Just checked. Sadly it hasn’t. It has heated seats but it must be the end of the earlier ones. Fancy not having a glovebox!

1 minute ago, phazed said:

It has heated seats

I don’t have a glove box or a glass screen or heated seats but after wizzing around in the silver thing with the roof off this afternoon which does have heated seats, it’s very tempting to retrofit them!

38 minutes ago, phazed said:

Just checked. Sadly it hasn’t. It has heated seats but it must be the end of the earlier ones. Fancy not having a glovebox!

There are aftermarket hoods for the earlier cars with glass rear windows, or it is a facelift hood that's been fitted to an older car.

Definitive proof is the chassis number....

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

I don’t have a glove box or a glass screen or heated seats but after wizzing around in the silver thing with the roof off this afternoon which does have heated seats, it’s very tempting to retrofit them!

Apparently easier to get yourself a Waco (?) aftermarket kit than retrofit the originals, apparently the electrics aren't straightforward. Mount the switches on the side of the seat, less wiring than to the dash.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Apparently easier to get yourself a Waco (?) aftermarket kit than retrofit the originals, apparently the electrics aren't straightforward. Mount the switches on the side of the seat, less wiring than to the dash.

Thanks. I was hoping the seats would be pre-wired! Sounds like that is not the case

12 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Thanks. I was hoping the seats would be pre-wired! Sounds like that is not the case

The sockets have all the empty pin spaces for the wiring and you can get the male and female pins, so if you were determined you could make it up from the wiring diagram....

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The sockets have all the empty pin spaces for the wiring and you can get the male and female pins, so if you were determined you could make it up from the wiring diagram....

Not that determined! I was hoping that the wiring to the seat at least would all be there. Clearly not! 

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Not that determined! I was hoping that the wiring to the seat at least would all be there. Clearly not! 

I have just done this more extreme approach but for adding speakers to my doors.  I also added in pins when retro fitting cruise control.  I appreciate it is a bit more hard core than many would attempt.

The good news is that there is decent power available under the seats you could tap into due to the motors for adjusting the back rest which are fused at 30A.  May be don't adjust the seat whilst the heating element is on though, or better to take a separate supply direct from the fuse box.

• Like 1

IIRC the problem was with the original switches, something about “latching”. More complex than just joining red and black wires. All I know is, like the door speakers, there’s a reason many don’t do it. But as 56lbs found, persevere and it’s all possible.