What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 10/26/2023 at 6:13 PM, kdh said:

Wish I could post pics but can’t get to grips with the tiny file size limit.

I use - below. Upload the images there - no size limit. Copy the link for posting or sharing to forums. Don't bother with thumbnails. Then paste the link here. If the link here needs tweaking we can give you pointers. You can upload several pics at once too. Shouldn't take you longer than a minute - that's all in start to finish. 

https://postimages.org/

On 10/26/2023 at 6:13 PM, kdh said:

Wish I could post pics but can’t get to grips with the tiny file size limit.

This is their instructions which should help

See I've posted a pic of it - below 

If you copy their link it looks like this 

[url=https://postimg.cc/4HnCrKh5][img]https://i.postimg.cc/VvWY0nf3/Screenshot-20231028-063243-Chrome.jpg[/img][/url]

Which won't work

But it magically does once you strip away everything from inside and including the [] brackets - leaving just the bit from http to .jpg - see

Screenshot-20231028-063243-Chrome.jpg

Engine mounts now off the car. Not the simplest of jobs. Worse on driver side as very little access. Had to remove the little cover plat thing which goes round the gear shift cable mounts. And also removed the heat shield from the cat - same side. Passenger side was really easy by comparison. 

If I'm going to try this DIY fluid fill hack is there a guide to doing this anywhere? And do I need to get that big nut undone to remove the mounts from their brackets first or can I leave them as is and then just fill with this magic fluid?

20231028-112646.jpg

20231028-112731.jpg

I followed the first part of the vid below for the lower part of the mounts. I took the mount off the bracket with an impact wrench, need to take care you don’t bend the bracket if you’re not using one. 

I’d say take them off, use the opportunity to clean the brackets up and give them a lick of paint as they are getting crusty.

https://youtu.be/LpJpNMtTN7o?si=TmMNWFPf-VWldBjU

Dropped into Silverstone Porsche to pick up the pins to add to my A pillar connectors to make the final connection to the speakers in my doors. Hope to fit them tomorrow.

3 hours ago, ATM said:

Engine mounts now off the car. Not the simplest of jobs. Worse on driver side as very little access. Had to remove the little cover plat thing which goes round the gear shift cable mounts. And also removed the heat shield from the cat - same side. Passenger side was really easy by comparison. 

If I'm going to try this DIY fluid fill hack is there a guide to doing this anywhere? And do I need to get that big nut undone to remove the mounts from their brackets first or can I leave them as is and then just fill with this magic fluid?

20231028-112646.jpg

20231028-112731.jpg

Bah sorry @ATM didn’t quote before replying, see my post above.

On 10/27/2023 at 12:00 PM, phazed said:

I’ve done nothing today!

Completed drilling and tapping 11 of the shared exhaust manifold bolts on Wednesday. What a job! I have backache from standing for many hours pushing a drill upwards! All seems good, manifolds at the ready and a new set of genuine manifold bolts will be dropped off to me this evening. Won’t have time to bolt them up until Sunday as participating in a track day at Bedford Autodrome tomorrow.

Would I recommend anyone doing it themselves? Only if you have good access, have the correct jig, (thank you, Mick) are patient, diligent, have time on your hands, and want to save £700-800!  I think my metalwork O-level definitely helped :)

Have dropped my cats and main silencer to a friend who is going to blast them and weld them where necessary as they had been badly repaired in the past. If all goes well with the car, then I will replace the system long-term at a later date.

Track day tomorrow in my super firm suspensioned Skoda with rock hard, minimal padding, lightweight seats. Just what my back needs!

You certainly would not have entertained that job without the jig, as mentioned previously I did five bolts without the jig , I thought never again , next time around after dipping into my back pocket and purchasing said jig, paid for itself emotionally if nothing else just sorting three out , as for 11 , bless your patience!!

1 hour ago, edc said:

Found an old pic here they are 

https://imgur.com/H5EOa1u

Ok I see, thanks ...  couple of questions if i may ....

So does the alloy piece on the top just pop off - and did you leave them like this with it off when you refitted or put it back on?

Either way this looks doable with them still on the bracket to me, right?

If mine have sagged will this un-sag them?

Also - do I just order any 85 shore PU?

H5EOa1u_d.webp

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Ok I see, thanks ...  couple of questions if i may ....

So does the alloy piece on the top just pop off - and did you leave them like this with it off when you refitted or put it back on?

Either way this looks doable with them still on the bracket to me, right?

If mine have sagged will this un-sag them?

Also - do I just order any 85 shore PU?

H5EOa1u_d.webp

If yours have sagged I guess it's because the hydraulic fluid has leaked. Where the orange is is normally a metal dome which contains the hydraulic fluid. They fit on the car just as above. 

I didn't do these but still have my originals in the garage. I would drill the dome drain the fluid then Dremel off the dome. You can go harder on the PU but 85 and bottom side only was mostly a hunch. 

• Thanks 1

Removed engine mounts from their brackets. 

Read a few comments from people saying you can bend the brackets if you just try to brute force off the big nut without using something like a vice. I don't have a vice. So I used a 24mm open ended spanner to hold the bracket. Slotted on perfectly. Then the persuader did its thing.

Also I don't have the correct e-torque socket thing. So I used a 6 sided 19mm socket which worked perfectly. 

20231029-093149.jpg

So as expected the stiffer upgraded solid rubber mounts I've bought will not work. Far too much play. The original mounts have a square shaped section which slots into a perfect sized square hole in the brackets. They fit very snug with zero play even without the nut in place. The new mounts don't have this square. And the bolts provided are quite a bit narrower than the hole or tube they bolt through. Therefore I think there is the possibility they will flap around from side to side.

So now ive decided i either need to repair the original mounts or replace with new standard mounts. 

20231029-092849.jpg

Completed the conversion to add door speakers.  Sound is now much improved with more depth with the large speakers and their boxes in the doors adding more lower tones and bass.  Only done setup work through the head unit so not tested it on the road yet, but looking good so far. 😁

Annoyingly I've triggered a door airbag error on the passenger door.  I forgot to disconnect the battery before unplugging the door loom at the A-pillar.  Got two beeps when offering the connector with the additional pins fitted in to place.  Didn't locate properly first time and then trying again got beeps.  Airbag light on the dash is now on, which the iCarsoft V1.0POR isn't clearing....  I may have dislodged a wire. 😡