What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Drilled out four exhaust manifold sheared bolts and chased out the threads of two. Take off lunch and coffee breaks, That took about 4 1/2 hours!

Should be finished by Sunday week at this rate!

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Drilled out four exhaust manifold sheared bolts and chased out the threads of two. Take off lunch and coffee breaks, That took about 4 1/2 hours!

Should be finished by Sunday week at this rate!

You are a braver (or even more foolish than me) man than I taking on manifold bolts DIY... Keep up the good work!

Edited by ½cwt

Today, I cursed two products:

Autoglym roof cleaner and Carpro Perl black trim reviver. Both not up to the job.
Carpro Perl had the windscreen wiper plastic area returned to its milky grey within 4 days, Autoglym roof cleaner just didn’t work.

Surfex HD worked on the roof up to a point and the search for a decent black trim restorer continues, but I think I’ve tried them all now.

Edited by kdh

5 minutes ago, kdh said:

Today, I cursed two products:

Autoglym roof cleaner and Carpro Perl black trim reviver. Both not up to the job.
Carpro Perl had the windscreen wiper plastic area returned to its milky grey within 4 days, Autoglym roof cleaner just didn’t work.

Surfex HD worked on the roof up to a point and the search for a decent black trim restorer continues, but I think I’ve tried them all now.

Polytrol is the answer to your black trim problems

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You are a braver (or even more foolish than me) man than I taking on manifold bolts DIY... Keep up the good work!

He does have the Jig though,be mad to attempt without.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I think the key to making this job painless is to have the car in the air rather than being laid on your back getting caked up in rust and dust as you struggle away. 

Some people have been very lucky with this job diy such as @Terryg I wasn't just as lucky and decided it was less painful to just take the car to my mechanic. After a few snapped, I caked them up in penetration oils and actually my mechanic managed to drill out and not have to tap any of the bolt threads. But again that's the difference in position under the car. 

46 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

33 minutes ago, Cocky said:

I think the key to making this job painless is to have the car in the air rather than being laid on your back getting caked up in rust and dust as you struggle away. 

Some people have been very lucky with this job diy such as @Terryg I wasn't just as lucky and decided it was less painful to just take the car to my mechanic. After a few snapped, I caked them up in penetration oils and actually my mechanic managed to drill out and not have to tap any of the bolt threads. But again that's the difference in position under the car. 

It the car is fully int eh air I might tackle it with the jig, but as one bolt head has already gone completely, I'm not sure how the gasket is sealing to be honest, and the general condition of everything under a 23 years old car that seems to have spent a long time outside, mine will go to Dove House when the time comes.  Perhaps mine is just especially bad and so giving me the wrong perspective.

I am fortunate enough to have a 2 Post lift at home and of course using the jig makes the job doable, although no easy task. All that drilling upwards for hours while wearing protective goggles et cetera is no fun at all.

My wife is returning tomorrow so this mornings jobs I’ve been walking the dog, tending to our chickens and ducks and filling the recycling bin with empty bottles!

I can’t find anything else useful to do, so I need to go back out into the garage for a few hours. I’m sure I can find another distraction later!

47 minutes ago, Cocky said:

I think I got luck as it wasn't the original engine

On 10/17/2023 at 5:40 PM, ATM said:

Ok lads

You can let the ladies know

I got it up

20231017-172613.jpg

Driveshafts off

The other side is just as bad

Hopefully I can get these rebuilt with new rubbers

If anyone has any tips for doing this or finding new rubbers please let me know, thanks

20231021-133352.jpg

20231021-133403.jpg

The rubbers can be replaced with a common after market part and the same fits both ends of the shaft and are about £15 each, I got GKN/Lobro ones from D911 but they are not listing them at the moment, on Autodoc 304115 LÖBRO Bellow Set, drive shaft 81,00 mm, NBR (nitrile butadiene rubber) ▷ AUTODOC price and review for a 6 speed.  As long as the actual joints are OK you can de-grease and re-grease them, the grease came with the bellows in the kit above.  You can strip the inboard end to component parts and inspect for any wear and pitting.  I did this nearly 5 years ago now and they are still running fine.  Outboard end, which you can't take apart, you can flush to remove all grease and then inspect and the outside should be cleaned of rust and painted to lengthen life too.

Porsche part numbers are 996 332 293 00 for a 5 speed or 928 332 293 02 for a 6 speed version, 5 speed Lobro from Autodoc is 307225 LÖBRO Bellow Set, drive shaft 78,5 mm, NBR (nitrile butadiene rubber) ▷ AUTODOC price and review.

• Thanks 1

Investigation into why the Passenger side, side vent is weak.

it wouldn’t normally bother me but in this weather it doesn’t quite clear the misted up passenger window. I checked under the bonnet for leaves but couldn’t see any.

Anyone had this problem? tia

Coincidentally, the same happened on the left side of my windscreen yesterday in my old Rangie . Put on the AC and it disappears instantly but a bit of a puzzle all the same.

A few more hours this afternoon and now have one cylinder head bank with six broken manifold bolts removed and six nicely tapped holes ready to receive a new manifold.

No prizes for guessing what I will be doing tomorrow on the other bank!

I guess you will do some basic port match/clean up for head and manifold. Watch also for the gasket protruding.

Was going to have a basic check and yes I will check the gaskets. It seems to be quite common with generic gaskets. Not going over the top with this car, as with any 21-year-old car, you don’t know what it’s been through all though sounds nice and quiet.
Would quite like to get hold of another 3.2 engine and take it apart for fun and knowledge and do a basic rebuild for the future…

4 minutes ago, phazed said:

Was going to have a basic check and yes I will check the gaskets. It seems to be quite common with generic gaskets. Not going over the top with this car, as with any 21-year-old car, you don’t know what it’s been through all though sounds nice and quiet.
Would quite like to get hold of another 3.2 engine and take it apart for fun and knowledge and do a basic rebuild for the future…

You have to be a bit canny doing this as the Variocam system has 2 versions on the 3.2 for the 986 and you need the correct control system for the correct engine so they'd need to match you car if you wanted to use the engine as a direct swap.  Also they ain't cheap to buy (£2.5k upwards) or rebuild.