What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, kdh said:

…and it was.

Today it turned up and I applied it to the completely faded scuttle under the windscreen.

Voila.

Good as new. Thanks for the tip.

Glad to be of assistance, but can't take the credit as someone else on here recommended it to me a long time back as well

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Polytrol has a good reputation on here.

I finally ordered some a year ago or so, but I confess I haven't opened the tin...

The car's been away nearly that long, so nothing to put it on...

Edited by ½cwt

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Oh, ok, it looks different for some reason, I thought they had a centre grill too on the later ones but I am guessing that must be just the S.  Certainly much more aggressive than my original one. I would ideally love a gen1 aero.

No number plate covering the deeper scalloping between the upper face and the chin.

The S has the centre grille for the centre rad.  The face lift bumpers would 'plug and play' on an older model car.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

No number plate covering the deeper scalloping between the upper face and the chin.

The S has the centre grille for the centre rad.  The face lift bumpers would 'plug and play' on an older model car.

Not quite I don't think. On the front the air dams might be different. And on the rear the spoiler is different too. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

Not quite I don't think. On the front the air dams might be different. And on the rear the spoiler is different too. 

Good point on the rear spoiler.

Took car for its MOT , passed with no advisories well chuffed. Mind you highlighted that I've only done 370miles in a year (Just been one of those years -to busy).

Then realised after paying Tax, Insurance & Mot (minus any fuel ,servicing etc.) the car has cost me approx. £1.50per mile to Drive 😀

Mind you still worth it for the massive grin factor 👍

• Like 2

Good result. Mot time is a scary business. I have an advisory on brake lines front to rear for the next one which I’m not looking forward to.

So today…good grief, the Japanese brand of Fusso wax is quite simply wonderful. Very easy to apply and buff off and a ridiculous shine. Got caught in the rain so only did half the car.

Wish I could post pics but can’t get to grips with the tiny file size limit.

I’ve done nothing today!

Completed drilling and tapping 11 of the shared exhaust manifold bolts on Wednesday. What a job! I have backache from standing for many hours pushing a drill upwards! All seems good, manifolds at the ready and a new set of genuine manifold bolts will be dropped off to me this evening. Won’t have time to bolt them up until Sunday as participating in a track day at Bedford Autodrome tomorrow.

Would I recommend anyone doing it themselves? Only if you have good access, have the correct jig, (thank you, Mick) are patient, diligent, have time on your hands, and want to save £700-800!  I think my metalwork O-level definitely helped :)

Have dropped my cats and main silencer to a friend who is going to blast them and weld them where necessary as they had been badly repaired in the past. If all goes well with the car, then I will replace the system long-term at a later date.

Track day tomorrow in my super firm suspensioned Skoda with rock hard, minimal padding, lightweight seats. Just what my back needs!

15 minutes ago, phazed said:

I’ve done nothing today!

Completed drilling and tapping 11 of the shared exhaust manifold bolts on Wednesday. What a job! I have backache from standing for many hours pushing a drill upwards! All seems good, manifolds at the ready and a new set of genuine manifold bolts will be dropped off to me this evening. Won’t have time to bolt them up until Sunday as participating in a track day at Bedford Autodrome tomorrow.

Would I recommend anyone doing it themselves? Only if you have good access, have the correct jig, (thank you, Mick) are patient, diligent, have time on your hands, and want to save £700-800!  I think my metalwork O-level definitely helped :)

Have dropped my cats and main silencer to a friend who is going to blast them and weld them where necessary as they had been badly repaired in the past. If all goes well with the car, then I will replace the system long-term at a later date.

Track day tomorrow in my super firm suspensioned Skoda with rock hard, minimal padding, lightweight seats. Just what my back needs!

Well done 🏆, when I’d done mine I felt like I’d finally graduated as a 986 Boxster maintainer and didn’t worry about any other jobs as they wouldn’t be as bad as that, although removing seized drop links came close🙁.

37 minutes ago, phazed said:

I’ve done nothing today!

Stellar effort!

18 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Well done 🏆, when I’d done mine I felt like I’d finally graduated as a 986 Boxster maintainer and didn’t worry about any other jobs as they wouldn’t be as bad as that, although removing seized drop links came close🙁.

Drop link bolts were about my limit I think.  Obviously only a BEng not an MSc level of graduation.

36 minutes ago, ATM said:

Mine came apart easy.  Is there anything I can do to these nuts to keep them from seizing in the future?

20231021-132009.jpg

I used/use this aluminium assembly anti-seize. I’ve no idea if it works as I have no intention of ever taking my suspension apart again, but it was recommended on here I think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352927163461

Today  I placed an adjustable exhaust baffle from dark ice designs into one of my exhaust tips to try and reduce a bit of the bass drone at 2500 rpm. The aftermarket stainless exhaust is by designtek and by Jove it worked. Sweet now throughout the Rev range and no boom.

Edited by kdh

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Mine came apart easy.  Is there anything I can do to these nuts to keep them from seizing in the future?

20231021-132009.jpg

1 hour ago, BBB said:

I used/use this aluminium assembly anti-seize. I’ve no idea if it works as I have no intention of ever taking my suspension apart again, but it was recommended on here I think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352927163461

Doesn't need to be specifically this one.  I can vouch from having changed an early failure (just under 2 years) cheap drop link from my original refurb that they come out like shelling peas with aluminium anti-seize.  The key thing is the plain shank rather than the threads, but do both.  I've got a coffin arm to do shortly that will have been in place for 3 years (replaced FOC by Spyder even though out of warranty).  I'll report back!

• Like 1