What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

4 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Bit of a bargain @PaulQ. Long as it's not a floppy Chinese momo Rep you'll be good! Looks smart even if the 3 point suede joins are abit "unfinished" looking. A bargain! Suede wheels are nice to use.

They are really good value. The horn push is a bit rough and ready, but will bin that and the joins are the only things that let it down a little, but its as solid as the Momo I took off. The stitching is fine, and the material is a good fit.

They do dished wheels too that dont appear to have the joins like this one, which I would have bought but didn't want to change the Boss as well.

Never had a suede one before, and it feels lovely tbh. One day i'll buy a 996 GT3 cup wheel :)

Sounds good @PaulQ. I had a "half dished" suede wheel on my previous car and it was perfect. Slightly closer and slightly away from catching the indicators, but they remained in comfortable usable reach. I've got my Royal trimmed factory wheel, which other than being a tad big, is nice.

18 minutes ago, TimsterC said:

Changed my wheels from these

To these

Very nice.

What are your plans for the old wheels?

Cheers, Baggers.

Changed the oil & filter for the third time in my ownership. Happy to report that the filter was spotless :)

Changed the sparkplugs, and the tubes & O rings on the drivers side as they were leaking.

37099829506_9aecad4722_k.jpgleaking spark plug tube O rings by paul quick, on Flickr

36453280704_d239991376_k.jpgBSP by paul quick, on Flickr

Also put some wheels on with fat tyres (987 sizes)

37118137282_bbc90da704_k.jpgCW by paul quick, on Flickr

8 hours ago, bagss2 said:

Very nice.

What are your plans for the old wheels?

Cheers, Baggers.

Refurb them and use them as my Summer wheels, unless you want to make me a very silly offer for them. 

19 hours ago, allatsea said:

@TimsterC talk to me, pm me, before you sell. Not sure I can store/afford, but I quite fancy these.

AaS

@allatsea had not seriously considered selling them, but if I do, I've added you to the growing list of people interested.

Not today but Saturday.

375 miles. Surrey (0615) - Cardiff (0900 - 1400) (ProSpeed Exhaust for a bypass) - Crawley(1630-1730 pick up middle son) - Home(1900). 

Ran beautifully and sounded better post Cardiff.....

Computer said 34mpg, real maths said 29.95mpg; not bad for a 3.2 that's 17 years old. 

AaS

Spent a few days at the ring, was very pleased how the car handled the laps altough the 2.7 was a little under powered on some sections, also got some time in on the GP track, and due to it having massive run offs I really felt I could push on, gees it was like a go-kart ???

21587213_10210154842139656_1762410308283683132_o.jpg

Swapped my 00 coolant cap for an 04 version... Still lost a litre over a 20 mile drive... Boot floor is dry, no moisture around the cap... Tank felt dry underneath... I have had a small pool just in front of the rear wheel but it was wet today so could not check. Any suggestions ? 

19 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I think the corners need rounding off a bit. Would look good then :)

11 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Indeed, I'd trim off the corners. 

The picture doesn't show it well but I have rounded the corners off, perhaps it needs to be a little shorter?

32 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I litterally chopped mine at the ends 45 degrees, so it almost flows into the bodywork (crudely). See:

986 boxster front lip

Thanks, got it I'll give it a 45 degree chop and see how it looks. Was wondering about trying a red one to match the car?

Took the steering wheel off to prove to myself that I could; the left hand airbag securing bolt was a total nightmare to 'unstick', main securing nut came off easily, as did the wheel itself.

Now ready to take it off again in a few weeks for a refurb when I go on holiday. Always good to come home to a waiting parcel and an excuse to go back to the garage.....

AaS

46 minutes ago, allatsea said:

Took the steering wheel off to prove to myself that I could; the left hand airbag securing bolt was a total nightmare to 'unstick', main securing nut came off easily, as did the wheel itself.

Now ready to take it off again in a few weeks for a refurb when I go on holiday. Always good to come home to a waiting parcel and an excuse to go back to the garage.....

AaS

I bottled taking mine off. I let Jack at Royal take it off and swap for my refurbed Wheel - he knows what he is doing for sure.