What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

22 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Thanks Stephen and all others who replied, I think I'll remove the bumper over the winter and see if I can get them sorted.

I did mine a few weeks ago. Bumper off, took the grills out, undercoat, 3 top coats of matt black, looks great. Mine an 'S' and the centre grill doesn't seem to come out, so I also had to wrap/mask the whole bumper to do the middle one.

Just one word of warning; it does make them 'disappear' a bit. The car is red and I think it looks better than the grey that they were, but they do somewhat disappear now. 

Great opportunity to clean out the condensers and radiators as well.

Polished 'slightly yellow' headlamp (again) and most exciting of all, un-wrapped my new stainless steel Top Gear exhaust... shame I could fit it today, thanks to Storm Brian!

Played about sorting out my heat shield around the exhaust today and stopped a little rattle. Found a few missing fixings here and there to fit.  Nothing majorly exciting but pretty happier. 

A good nosey around the underneath of the car for future jobs. 

Up to Oulton Park very early Saturday, motorways very clear, lots of 6th gear, 986S returned nearly 32mpg on VPower. Brands on Sunday for the final BRSCC Porsches races of the season, again over 30mpg on the way down. Return journey a nightmare! A few more little rattles now but it still makes a comfortable mway cruiser. Just a shame there are so many lane-hogging a-holes these days!

Got a scare when returning to my car in the car park this morning. There was a small lake of coolant underneath it and it was still coming out from right side of the engine when I arrived. Was not quite sure how to proceed but decided to buy some distilled water (10 litres lol). Only took 0,5 litres to get back up to the max line - looked like a lot more had leaked out though? Drove fairly sedately home without incident. Some google searches indicated it may be the coolant cap causing the problem. Mine is an old one with the number ending in 0, so went to the dealer and bought a new one which ends in 4. Hoping that this €20 investment cures it.

Edited by el 3.2S

I think we should start a new thread called what have you not done to your car yet it would make it a lot quicker to reply.

I just returned from another very wet and congested round trip to Brighouse yes you guessed it Revolution Porsche after having a new ims clutch and flywheel fitted and a load of other things like coils  and plug tubes, the guys did another great job but the people in Brighouse are starting to think I live there.

A few months back my aos went and failed sent a large cloud of smoke out so I bought a new one and the long pipe that's reccomended to fit with it and asked my local indy to fit it on my 111 point check the guys at Revolution Porsche noticed that the other pipe the aos fits into was damaged so they fitted a new one during this visit when Phil was fitting it all I could see of him was his legs sticking out of the engine compartment.

Sat in Porsche Hatfield getting the key reprogrammed. Ouch!

Took off front bumper (scraped bottom on one ramp - aaaarggh!). Cleared out condenser and radiators of leaves and detritus. Condensers are knackered but AC still cold. Bottom row has almost fallen away on one side. Radiators look ‘ok’ although one or two elements are moving/loose. 

Another job for the list.

Washed it for the first time since getting back from the run to the Brecon Beacons a couple of weeks ago (lazy I know).

Didn't want to take it for a run after washing to dry the brakes off as the road past our house is very muddy from being dug up for fibre broadband installation.

So I improvised with some "boots" to keep the wheels dry and removed and washed each wheel individually to keep water out of the brake disc.

Might just adopt this method every time I wash it from now on! B)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155765533@N04/shares/344q15

Edited by Bluepork03
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

Washed off the cr*p that @986CKY sprayed all over it on Sunday. Lets see if he bites.................

Games changed now Terry. Put on a base coat for pebble dashing incase you're not following me next time. 

Edited by 986CKY
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 986CKY said:

Games changed now Terry. Put on a base coat for pebble dashing incase you're not following me next time. 

I have to say you are more sensitive to the fellow following than most! Let see if anyone bites to that....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terryg said:

I have to say you are more sensitive to the fellow following than most! Let see if anyone bites to that....

@Loz987 and I both consistently ensure as much distance between ourselves and all other road users, for this reason.

I'm sure you will agree Terry that we have very seldom caused you a rash.

Cheers, Baggers.