Dipstick

R1951

No dippy on the 981 either, a pita when filling your car after a change as it won't register until it's been driven (progress eh?)

In answer to your Q, I guess you'd get a new battery and have the sensor/sender changed at your OPC ?

5 minutes ago, T24RES said:

No dippy on the 981 either, a pita when filling your car after a change as it won't register until it's been driven (progress eh?)

In answer to your Q, I guess you'd get a new battery and have the sensor/sender changed at your OPC ?

That seems like the most ridiculous thing to omit on a car i've heard. You could have thought that they'd have put one in the engine bay hidden somewhere.

2 minutes ago, That986 said:

That seems like the most ridiculous thing to omit on a car i've heard. You could have thought that they'd have put one in the engine bay hidden somewhere.

Why? Simple business creator for the dealerships. No dipstick then no home oil changes, so more people paying dealers to change oil and change sensors.... My Audi doesn't have one either, neither do a lot of modern cars these days. Same as rear brake pad/disc changes can't be done now without the dealer computer as the electronic handbrakes all need resetting to ensure they clamp tight enough.....£££££££

2 minutes ago, CMA said:

Why? Simple business creator for the dealerships. No dipstick then no home oil changes, so more people paying dealers to change oil and change sensors.... My Audi doesn't have one either, neither do a lot of modern cars these days. Same as rear brake pad/disc changes can't be done now without the dealer computer as the electronic handbrakes all need resetting to ensure they clamp tight enough.....£££££££

Because a lot of people (me included) like to be able to see their oil level by eye and not on a electronic readout. I don't trust the one in my 986 one bit as it never correlates to the stick.

As you say that's just money for stealers again.....

We've discussed this before, I think it was Russ who said in fact due to the boxer layout and the route of the dipstick through the engine, the dipstick was actually less reliable so they deleted it.

Another gem - 987.1 you need to take the electronic measure only when cold, 987.2 (or at least 981) you take it only when running!

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

The 987 does not have a dipstick

Deleted from MY07 on the Boxster.  Prior to that the 987B had one but I don't believe any were fitted to 987C engines.

Your old one should have had one @Bike Loon. :)

43 minutes ago, CMA said:

That said, it does come back to bite the manufacturer if the car is under warranty, as is mine.   The oil level sender on my 981 failed recently, giving an "oil level below minimum, stop immediately" warning.  Notwithstanding the fact that the intermittent fault cleared itself within five minutes, Porsche Assistance insisted on recovering the car, taking it on a 160 mile round trip to OPC Cambridge, keeping it for four days  (over a weekend) during which time I had a BMW 3-series from Enterprise as a replacement.   Great service and £££££££, certainly, all for the lack of a dipstick, but happily, not charged to me. 

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

Nope my old 987 didn't have one either 

I'm sure our MY05 and MY06 had them - but you could well be right.  I remember the furore on here when the 'new' 3.4s arrived without them. :o

Neither of my '05 plate 987s have had dipsticks. So far no probs, but I'm old skool and it irritates me. However, if what was said above about the route it has to take making it unreliable, then fair enough.

The V10 M5 we had a few years ago had no dipstick, just a pathological liar of a readout on the dash that would throw you into a panic by insisting that you immediately add a litre of oil, then immediately after you'd done so, it would tell you it was overfilled and that you needed to drain some out! Made me want to kick the dashboard display in the face, frankly!

Bloody Germans, they do it on purpose. It's revenge for the war!

1 minute ago, moneypit said:

Lol, seems harsh, but don't know him well enough to comment on whether it's justified or not! :D

Just do it.  I'm one of the first to slate others, and have quite a thick skin (honest, it's not that I eat too much ;)). 

While @MattS was around my house the other day he happened to mention that I had a different rear boot lay out to him, when i looked at his (earlier model 987) boot lay out he had the same as my 986 ie open top oil and water caps not covered like the pull down cover as mine has, I can't say I noticed if there was a dip stick there as well like my 986 had. :huh:

I've copied him in on this thread to see if he can confirm one way or the other if his 987 has a dip stick !!

Guvs.

8 minutes ago, Guvs said:

While @MattS was around my house the other day he happened to mention that I had a different rear boot lay out to him, when i looked at his (earlier model 987) boot lay out he had the same as my 986 ie open top oil and water caps not covered like the pull down cover as mine has, I can't say I noticed if there was a dip stick there as well like my 986 had. :huh:

I've copied him in on this thread to see if he can confirm one way or the other if his 987 has a dip stick !!

Guvs.

Can't say I noticed a dipstick, Will have a look in the morning?

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Just do it.  I'm one of the first to slate others, and have quite a thick skin (honest, it's not that I eat too much ;)). 

Ok, noted, cheers, I'll endeavour to stick the knife in as often as poss, thanks for the invitation! :P

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Correct. :blush2:  I wonder what it was, that the 3.4 was missing then. :unsure:

I think on my early 987 the Coolant and Oil fillers were in the same place as my 986 (but no dipstick) on my 3.4 the fillers are hidden behind the flap lower down. Thats gonna be the differences

Archived