Roof open in the cold

R1951

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

only plastic window, IMO.

Not a problem for you, is it. :D

IMHO, it's all cars.  The plastic parts of the mechanisms get brittle at low temperatures.  It's not just the window.

I had the roof down Xmas day on the way to my mums. My sister is having twins and I had bought her a 5ft Monkey (before I had got the Boxster) Only way to transfer him was to strap him in and put the roof down :D Made a few people smile "Left turn Clive!"

12 minutes ago, Southy said:

Christmas day drive to my moms with the roof down and Christmas hat on, put a lot of smiles on peoples faces either laughing with me or at me who cares :)

As did we :) Got a fair few smiles

1824999.jpg

23 hours ago, Aerobat said:

On a related topic, are there any elements of the mechanism that should be lubricated periodically??  Mine creaks and groans quite a bit, suggesting that something is dry that should be lubed somehow.

If it moves lubricate it ;-) My 986 roof started juddering not long after I had it but once I had lubricated all the pivot points it stopped it & has been fine ever since.

Someone else has already mentioned but if its cold I leave the roof up for first 15 mins or so with heaters on full heat before I put it down.

& if its not hurricane end of the world type weather the roof should be down

46 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I had the roof down Xmas day on the way to my mums. My sister is having twins and I had bought her a 5ft Monkey (before I had got the Boxster) Only way to transfer him was to strap him in and put the roof down :D Made a few people smile "Left turn Clive!"

Pictures?? :D

Pre Boxster days we had a Z3 which had a plastic rear screen. Mrs Zed bought a 12v hair-dryer (although it wouldn't dry the hair of a skinhead). On very cold days when the engine was warming up she would warm the screen so that by time the car was warm enough so was the roof and screen and down went the hood.

Sometimes I think that a gloriously bright cold day is better for roof down action than a really hot sunny day.

2 hours ago, 2Epic said:

My dad drives his Mini roof down all the time unless it rains, I hate it!

Soft top Mini?  Do you mean your mum? :huh:

;) 

4 hours ago, Araf said:

Soft top Mini?  Do you mean your mum? :huh:

;) 

Lol no he has a Mini. He used to have a Boxster 986, That's where I fell in love with them, but he sold it to my uncle. He had some MG TFs after that as he loves convertibles and now he has the Mini. He'd love another Porsche but he can't afford it now. 

Archived