Buying from OPC

718as

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my 981 from OPC Glasgow and it was a good experience.  The sales guy, Craig Young, was pleasant and straightforward to deal with and did exactly what he promised.  Because Glasgow is 400 miles from my home, I didn't see the car or meet Craig until we met for the handover.  This took place at Mercedes-Benz Bedford, which is part of the Sytner Group, like OPC Glasgow, and convenient for Craig to catch a train home, as the Jaguar was already sold on to a Sytner Group Jaguar dealership, Guy Salmon Thames Ditton, and was taken there directly from Bedford.

It an was unusual situation for both of us: we had done the deal, each trusting that the other had described their car accurately. This was especially the case as my trade-in was worth virtually the same as the car I was buying.  Anyway, all went smoothly and I drove home very happy.

It was a very different experience when I bought the Jaguar.  I agreed the deal and asked them to take of two minor things before delivery, a small paint chip on the windscreen pillar and a slightly misaligned clamshell bonnet over the nearside wheelarch.  This was all agreed but when the car was delivered (on a trailer, at my expense) I immediately noticed that neither job had been done.  I called the sales muppet who insisted that the work had been done, even after I sent him photographs that proved the contrary!  I contacted his boss who gave me some baloney I won't even bother to repeat.  Anyway, I fixed the bonnet alignment in ten minutes with a 13mm spanner, and touched in the chip with a paint stick they generously agreed to send me.  This experience with a Jaguar dealership really soured my view of the marque,  even before I realised I'd bought the wrong car!

It's little things that can really put you off dealing with a dealership. I have said before that when I was first looking for a 981 the sales guy at the OPC sat me down and his first words were 'of course its list price'. Now even if that was the case (which it wasn't at another dealer) there are much nicer ways of telling me. A few weeks later I was passing the same dealership so I took a look around their used stock outside. The same chap saw me and shouted over 'so have you made your mind up yet' in what I took to be a sarcastic tone. After that there was absolutely no way I was going to be buying a car from them.

Same for me when discussing budget I got "that's a weird number"..... straight away - put my back up. Sure the guy at Cambridge was trying his hardest to annoy me. Polar opposite to Brett at Nottingham.

I was interested in a car at Glasgow OPC (buying through my local OPC Cambridge) which turned out to have issues (wrong number of owners / mileage discrepancy etc...). I wouldn't be surprised if he ever contacted them. And when I sent him an email out of courtesy (as he was allegedly trying to source me a 981 still - by sending me cars like a 996 a 996 C4S cab....) to say I had purchased he didn't even reply... 

30 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Same for me when discussing budget I got "that's a weird number"..... straight away - put my back up. Sure the guy at Cambridge was trying his hardest to annoy me. Polar opposite to Brett at Nottingham.

I was interested in a car at Glasgow OPC (buying through my local OPC Cambridge) which turned out to have issues (wrong number of owners / mileage discrepancy etc...). I wouldn't be surprised if he ever contacted them. And when I sent him an email out of courtesy (as he was allegedly trying to source me a 981 still - by sending me cars like a 996 a 996 C4S cab....) to say I had purchased he didn't even reply... 

I wonder if it was the same guy?

I sort of got the impression that they had plenty of customers who just came in and paid the asking price (or that was what they were trying to portray)

When I was looking last June, I spoke to the Sales manager at Wilmslow saying I was looking to buy in late July, he basically said come back when you are ready to buy and promised to call me late July. He had no interest in showing me the stock they did have, or in going through options etc etc.  As it happens I then found a spec I liked at a different OPC and bought in June, of course I got no call back from him in July! I guess thy just don't have to try very much.

26 minutes ago, topradio said:

I sort of got the impression that they had plenty of customers who just came in and paid the asking price (or that was what they were trying to portray)

Interesting.  When I went to collect my car from OPC Cambridge, after it was trailered there for some warranty work (failed engine temperature sender) I was rather underwhelmed by the reception I got.  I had agreed to collect the car at 11.00am and arrived on time in the loan car.  I asked at reception for my service advisor, then waited for over 15 minutes for him to turn up, during which time nobody offered me a coffee and the sales guys ignored me as I wandered around the showroom.  When the service guy turned up, out of breath,  he whisked me outside to my still wet car, took a quick walk around the loan car, said a brief goodbye and disappeared indoors before I had even got in to drive off.  First impressions count, and my first impression was that they weren't particularly interested in courting me for my business.

It was different experience at OPC Colchester, where I subsequently took the car for its first service.  A charming receptionist offered my partner and me coffees while we waited.  The service guy was very pleasant and efficient, called me at the agreed time to say the car was ready, answered my questions and was happy to chat before we headed home.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

Possibly - this guy was called Don, personally found him arrogant and gave exactly that impression as you say. 

Expected to show me a car and be grateful and ignore the mileage / spec etc... (and repeatedly insisting I increase my budget by £ 8K to by an ex demo car they had...).

I could go on (& on) but I won't ? .. 

On 03/01/2017 at 1:44 PM, 718as said:

Is it still worth getting a PPI if buying from OPC?

Do 981's suffer from bore scoring and IMS bearing failure?

Anything that you should demand or ask the OPC to check as part of checks?

Appreciate any experience from people who have bought their cars used from OPC.

Thanks

I'm sure this will be an unpopular reply but you have started so many random threads about clutches, servicing, scratches and brakes that I must say, please don't buy a boxster if you cannot afford the upkeep, you seem very worried about bills that are just wear and tear items on a car like this

brakes are a grand, second service Is the same, you can go Indpendants but then loose on resell as you don't have full service history

this is a luxury car that should come after your mortgage and other bills and shouldn't be a worry to run, if your worrying about brake costs and servicing before you buy it then in all honesty you cannot afford it, I've been there myself when I was a kid, it wasn't the best decision I made .... 

Sorry to sound like a dick but that's how you come across with th random fire questions that are a little strange, hope I'm wrong ???

7 minutes ago, topradio said:

I think he may be doing a project on the marque.

Now that would make more sense, collage/uni project etc..

especially since his username and purchasing decisions are just ..... well different

On 1/3/2017 at 1:44 PM, 718as said:

Is it still worth getting a PPI if buying from OPC?

Do 981's suffer from bore scoring and IMS bearing failure?

Anything that you should demand or ask the OPC to check as part of checks?

Appreciate any experience from people who have bought their cars used from OPC.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular reply but you have started so many random threads about clutches, servicing, scratches and brakes that I must say, please don't buy a boxster if you cannot afford the upkeep, you seem very worried about bills that are just wear and tear items on a car like this

brakes are a grand, second service Is the same, you can go Indpendants but then loose on resell as you don't have full service history

this is a luxury car that should come after your mortgage and other bills and shouldn't be a worry to run, if your worrying about brake costs and servicing before you buy it then in all honesty you cannot afford it, I've been there myself when I was a kid, it wasn't the best decision I made .... 

Sorry to sound like a dick but that's how you come across with th random fire questions that are a little strange, hope I'm wrong ???

Where did that little lot come from? :huh:  He asks about a pre-purchase inspection when buying from Porsche - quite a valid point IMHO.  We're always bang on about getting cars checked if you don't know your way around them, yet you question whether he can afford to run a car.  That's the sort of post I usually see on Pistonheads.  I'm proud that everyone here is treated the same - from a £2k ebay bargain to a £100k limited edition with all options ticked.

If you don't want to answer posts like this then ignore them.  If everyone feels the same then the questions will go unanswered. 

14 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Now that would make more sense, collage/uni project etc..

especially since his username and purchasing decisions are just ..... well different

One of these? ^_^ 

collages.jpg

Araf, I think that the point is that 718as has been asking lots of random unconnected questions about various models of Boxster without quite explaining his thinking. I have wondered for a little while exactly where he is going with this.

2 minutes ago, topradio said:

Araf, I think that the point is that 718as has been asking lots of random unconnected questions about various models of Boxster without quite explaining his thinking. I have wondered for a little while exactly where he is going with this.

Yeah. He does seem to be commandeering the 981 section at the moment. May just be a keen chap with a lot of questions. Doesn't seem to be trying to sell us anything or doing anything nefarious. 

4 minutes ago, topradio said:

I've just scanned 718as's posts.  Apart from the labours of the white/Cararra white thread, all questions have been credible  and there have even been a couple of sociable posts on other threads.

I read it as someone that wants to know everything about the cars before approaching a car to view.  I'll agree that once all of the facts are assembled, I'd hate to have him view my car, but I'd much rather everyone on here was like this, than when they rock up thinking they've just pulled off the deal of the century - only to be told that a dealer has seen them coming.

1 minute ago, Simo_UK said:

I hope we move onto litigation...That's was quite fun to watch!

?

:lol:  I'll ban him. :shutup: 

I guess we're just a bit bemused by the approach.  Most people on here looking for their first Boxster introduce themselves and  give an indication of their budget, preferences, how the car will be used etc. etc.  @718as is playing his (her?) cards very close to his chest, which he is, of course, absolutely entitled to do.  In any event, he has provoked some interesting exchanges, so fair dues.

By the way, as a relative newbie myself, I'm increasingly intrigued by the (in)famous CJD...I must trawl through some of his old posts to see what all the fuss is about! 

Archived