Buying from OPC

718as

Is it still worth getting a PPI if buying from OPC?

Do 981's suffer from bore scoring and IMS bearing failure?

Anything that you should demand or ask the OPC to check as part of checks?

Appreciate any experience from people who have bought their cars used from OPC.

Thanks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cars bought from an OPC will come with a minimum 2 years warranty, which is very comprehensive.  I would think that any troubles will surface within that 2 years and will be covered. My opinion would therefore be "No."

12 minutes ago, mdunderwood said:

As far as I am aware there is no IMS in a 981 engine. (I await to be corrected by one more knowledgeable than me). 

No IMS from 987 gen2 ?

Bought mine from west London OPC wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole. The car needed tracking; pulled to the left on my drive home to the Midlands. Needed new front tyres , as they were cracking on the shoulders and I found rust on the top of the windscreen surround; result of an ignored stone chip. 111 point check, what a joke!  After being ignored for a week I spoke to Byron at Porsche UK . I received a call from W London within 10 mins with apologies and the promise of action to correct all the problems. After nearly a week of nothing,I emailed the principal at W.London threatening further calls to Porsche UK. A replacement car arrived from London the next day and mine at last taken away to be rectified. The moral is don't trust any of them, be on your guard.  However my grandsons model 981 has been impeccable.

I bought from Bournemouth OPC. I only have nice things to say about them. I would highly recommend them

I was only prepared to buy from an OPC due to the reassurance and back up aspect. I wouldn't normally do this but the outlay justified it in my mind.

I also got PPI through the the OPC but by knowing how much I could buy it elsewhere I negotiated a significant discount bringing it 'in line' with an internet anonymous company 

IMS as above

I used Leeds OPC they always had a great choice available when I was looking. Straight forward and approachable to deal with also

It's usually down to individuals - Cambridge OPC have been superb (Dan fisher - service) and arrogant and hopeless (Don - sales).

I bought a 981 S from OPC Nottingham end of last year. (Brett - excellent).

Good service so far. As part of the prep they are supposed to change tyres if a certain age. Service it if due - and as others have said 2 years warranty / 2 years roadside assist - that is on top of anything you of course agree / negotiate.

I ended up with 4 x P Zeros / new front discs / pads / major / plugs / filters / brake fluid etc - as part of their regular prep - ontop of the cosmetic issues we agreed on to be rectified. 

There will always be people who maliciously or otherwise cut corners (car prep etc) & different folk have different standards - but you can effectively have your own PPI by asking to be walked round the car when in the OPC workshop - I did.

Use that opportunity along with a buying guide and you shouldn't go far wrong.

That, plus a thorough test drive and the reassurance of two years warranty should give enough peace of mind. (Previous car had an OPC warranty and had no trouble in getting a replacement fob etc).

Ive raised an issue with condensation on the 981's windscreen - car went back in Xmas eve and I'm in a new Cayenne S since. Their headache and not mine to worry about.

To me it's worth it for saleability with remaining warranty & that reassurance. 

Of course other places - independent places - like Dove House cars Rushden offer similar (or better) levels of customer care and warranties. 

8 minutes ago, 718as said:

Reading this, they don't have to give you 2yrs warranty.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/approvedused/warranty/

Also how old do the tyres need to be, before they replace?

When you look at cars for sale on the used car locator (I think it's faulty at the moment - I can't get it to work anyway), it says if the car comes with a two year warranty or not.  Most do have the warranty included.

Tyres I would assume are judged on condition rather than age - but I stand to be corrected on that as I don't know for sure.

5 minutes ago, 718as said:

Reading this, they don't have to give you 2yrs warranty.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/approvedused/warranty/

Also how old do the tyres need to be, before they replace?

As I understand it, the practice is, on newer cars with some of the original manufacturer's warranty remaining, they give you either one or two years Approved Used warranty, to commence at the expiry of the original warranty, so that you have a minimum of two years warranty from the date you purchase the Approved Used car.  For example, my 18 months old 981 had 1 1/2 years of the original warranty remaining, to which was added a further year, giving me 2 1/2 years' warranty in total.

With all due respect, @718as, rather than speculate about stuff like this this, why don't you find a car you like and treat the length of  warranty offered as part of your negotiation on price.  Porsche don't "have to" sell you a car and you don't "have to" buy one, the deal will only be fine when both parties are satisfied!

Regarding tyres, six years is the usual industry recommendation for the maximum life of tyres on low mileage cars.

That's interesting about the warranty. Certainly something for you to be wary of when you look at purchases. :)

2 hours ago, mneil said:

Bought mine from west London OPC wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole. The car needed tracking; pulled to the left on my drive home to the Midlands. Needed new front tyres , as they were cracking on the shoulders and I found rust on the top of the windscreen surround; result of an ignored stone chip. 111 point check, what a joke!  After being ignored for a week I spoke to Byron at Porsche UK . I received a call from W London within 10 mins with apologies and the promise of action to correct all the problems. After nearly a week of nothing,I emailed the principal at W.London threatening further calls to Porsche UK. A replacement car arrived from London the next day and mine at last taken away to be rectified. The moral is don't trust any of them, be on your guard.  However my grandsons model 981 has been impeccable.

I am glad I am not the only who thinks this particular OPC isn't much use.

1 minute ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Porsche guarantee a minimum of 3mm tread depth remaining on Approved Used cars.

Which is the minimum that tyre companies say you should run with. <_< 

6 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Im surprised! That's really not a lot! 

They start with 8mm - or 5mm for Cup tyres.

4 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Im surprised! That's really not a lot! 

6 minutes ago, Araf said:

Which is the minimum that tyre companies say you should run with. <_< 

True, but you could argue that it would be wasteful to bin tyres with more thread depth remaining than the 3mm minimum recommended by the manufacturers and, in any event, the cost would just be added to the price of the car.  Look at it this way: would you sooner have the benefit of the remaining use (down to 3mm) on the original tyres, or have to pay up front for replacements, which you would be wearing down from day one?

I bought a 2012 991S with 5k miles two years ago from Tonbridge OPC, overall service was fine but one wheel was losing its lacquer and they had to collect the car and provided a replacement for a week whilst it was repaired - so dont expect perfection when buying used even from an OPC. Also my tyres has plenty of tread depth (7mm or so) but had surface cracking on the shoulders, Pirelli ignored my questions about this but my local indie assured me not to be concerned - generally I tend to change tyres once they get to 4-5 years old due to the compound getting harder but as these were only three years old no worries really. Regarding the warranty, two years is usually "standard" but they are free to reduce it as part of the negotiation if the buyer isnt bothered about having two years. My 981S bought from OPC Bristol last year had six months of extended warranty left from the previous owner and the OPC added two years meaning it came with warranty through to November 2018. I did consider waiving the 2nd year for an additional price discount but in the end thought it better to stick with the two years. By the way, my 981S was overall well prepared but had a nasty stone chip on the bonnet which I hadnt noticed on collection - again different OPC's seem to have different standards for what they consider acceptable in terms of condition.

Keith

21 minutes ago, huytonman said:

I hadnt noticed on collection - again different OPC's seem to have different standards for what they consider acceptable in terms of condition.

Apparently Porsche claim that all approved used cars go back to Reading to be reworked.

Approved Porsches meet exacting standards both aesthetically and mechanically

• The vehicle has been inspected in compliance with our 111-point checklist
  • All work has been performed by Porsche technicians
  • Only Genuine Porsche parts are fitted to the car
  • All routine servicing and maintenance due within the next 3 months or 3,000 miles will have been carried out as a minimum
  • A minimum of 12 months MOT*
  • Fitment of N-rated Tyres to a minimum remaining tread depth of 3mm
  • Assured electrical functionality and battery condition
  • Body refinishing to exacting standards
  • A full valet and final quality inspection
  • Independent monitoring

Archived