Car getting quicker

Terryg

I have just seen a thread on PH where a guy is given a loan car identical to his own and finds that  it's markedly quicker than his own. There were a lot of theories as to why this may be but to mind the most likely was that the loan car had been driven hard, whereas his own car hadn't. 

Now then @John T @Loz987 

I suspect you may both have something to do with my own baby revving much cleaner and quicker in the last few weeks than it did previously, so thank you (I think). I believe it's known as an "Italian tune up" on this site and I take it as proof positive that these cars absolutely have to be thrashed for their own good on a reasonable regular basis.

Not terribly scientific but I think it's enough evidence to convince those who don't need much convicing

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure a good "de-coking" can only be beneficial to your cars performance envelope. I am glad yours feels like she's cleaned her pipes! Let's get out again when you're local. 

Nowt like a bit of empirical evidence to get the nay Sayers tongues wagging! 

Blimey, just realised you two might start charging,  Already got Russ emptying my account last thing I want is you guys at it too!

If you have anything on the go the following weekend, I'll probably come out and play

14 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

If you can't "smell" that engine at the end of your run, then you didn't drive it hard enough ! :)

Funny you should say that, that's another thing I have started noticing, I was actually started worrying about it.

Just now, Southy said:

It should smell and make cracking/ticking noises :)

My old air cooled bikes used to do that, not so certain about a water cooled car riven on the road.  Maybe I need to try harder:unsure:

This is easy to evidence. I've organised several dyno days for Boxsters and filled the day up with some other Porkers. It's quite clear that same car same engine can have a range in power output. 

1 minute ago, edc said:

This is easy to evidence. I've organised several dyno days for Boxsters and filled the day up with some other Porkers. It's quite clear that same car same engine can have a range in power output. 

But what is your conclusion as to why?

56 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I have just seen a thread on PH where a guy is given a loan car identical to his own and finds that  it's markedly quicker than his own. There were a lot of theories as to why this may be but to mind the most likely was that the loan car had been driven hard, whereas his own car hadn't. 

Now then @John T @Loz987 

I suspect you may both have something to do with my own baby revving much cleaner and quicker in the last few weeks than it did previously, so thank you (I think). I believe it's known as an "Italian tune up" on this site and I take it as proof positive that these cars absolutely have to be thrashed for their own good on a reasonable regular basis.

Not terribly scientific but I think it's enough evidence to convince those who don't need much convicing

There is also a bike tuner who runs engines in when oil is warm with high and different load cases including max rpm sweeps. says it beds the piston rings in better... 

I plan on Italian tuning my Boxster S regularly once the coolant is up to temp... My Integra DC2 gets regular Italian tune ups.. as of course did my Lancia Integrale Evo when I owned that :)

2 minutes ago, Terryg said:

But what is your conclusion as to why?

Anyone can speculate but with unknown history cars and owner profiles it's just a guess. You could argue for simple servicing, mileage, fuel, ECU adaptation etc. Also the engines are not blue printed. They are all built to within a tolerance range so inevitably there will be some variation in performance. 

1 minute ago, edc said:

Anyone can speculate but with unknown history cars and owner profiles it's just a guess. You could argue for simple servicing, mileage, fuel, ECU adaptation etc. Also the engines are not blue printed. They are all built to within a tolerance range so inevitably there will be some variation in performance. 

I have closed off the PH thread but I think they were both 3000 milers and for that reason would have similar OPC service histories. I believe the variance in Porsche engines is controlled at the factory and anything significantly out of spec is rejected, but I take your point.

Haven't read the PH thread but equally as likely that the driver is less bothered about the loan car vs the owned car and uses it differently. 

24 minutes ago, big mike said:

Excuse my ignorance but what us an "Italian tune up"

Not sure why "Italian" but I have taken it to mean take it out and drive it like you stole it.

My car was having a service yesterday it could be just coincidence but they left the ignition on so the ecu reset. I normally get a follow up email asking how the car felt :)

1 minute ago, Jason986S said:

I think I need to do an ECU/Throttle reset. Just out of curiosity.

Can't say I ever notice the difference mate but won't hurt trying 

Archived