981 rear view mirror

Jonttt

So I'm driving along this evening and the rear view mirror starts rattling. Out of the blue it has detached from the windscreen and is hanging down by the wires. 

When I stopped I had a closer look and there just appears to be a small clear gel circle that held it on. It does restick to the window but not with enough grip to retain the mirror weight.

Has anyone else had this happen ?

I'm too busy at the moment for a trip to the OPC for a warranty fix so am tempted to just stick to the screen using a reg plate sticky pad but not sure that will hold in full sun. Only looking for a temp fix until I get chance to claim under warranty. Sods law I need the car tomorrow ad my daily has a screw in the tyre and I've got an early start.

The problem is I wont get chance to get to an OPC for a few days, even if they would do a fix there and then. I need the car at least tomorrow as my daily has a slow puncture and I don't want to drive around with the mirror just hanging by the wires.

I had a closer look when I got home and the gel type pad is not what's used to secure the mirror to the windscreen. It seems to be a buffer to diffuse light through to the light sensor it covers. I can see some hard plastic type strips either side on the windscreen which I think are what's failed. As a temp fix I cut some small strips of reg plate double sided tape stuck over these plastic strips. I don't think they will hold it for long but hopefully will last for a bit. I have some spares cut ready if they fail. I can pull the mirror off with them on with a little force and they will just then peel away so should not affect warranty.

I'll phone Chester OPC tomorrow and try to get it booked in for a warranty fix. What's the betting its a full day job and I'll have to wait for a courtesy car to be available in about 1 month sigh !

number plate tape could work, but the screen is a very hostile place to expect stuff to stick.  You would need to clean and degrease before applying.

I have some 3M VHB tape in the shed, if you PM me your addy I can post a strip out in tomorrows post if that helps you.

Thanks for the comments / offers guys ;-)

Well as an update I can confirm that the reg plate tape has worked OK. The mirror is a little wobbly ie you can tell its not fixed properly and it hangs at a slightly different angle but it is useable, I'm not worried the wires are being damaged and it should be easy to remove.

It was helped I think by the fact its been terrible weather today. Compounded by the fact its now 1am and I've just finished work so I've not had chance to swap the flat tyre over on my daily. I'm out at 6am tomorrow so will have to use the boxster again tomorrow, no doubt in torrential rain again.

Still it has given me the chance to use the boxster on a 100  mile round trip commute to my head office. First time I've used the car in "normal mode" for any length of time (I usually press sport as soon as I get in which also turns on the PSE), isn't it civiilsed compared to sports mode. I'd forgot that it had auto engine off when stopped, cruise at idle and the exhaust sounds so quiet.

I did manage to phone OPC Chester, their response was "thats unusual", We can book it in for 9.30am on Friday. Earlier than I thought. They confirmed they will order parts into replace and see whats needed. It may be a fix while I wait or bring it back for a day job, I'll take some work with me. I hope the tape holds to then because if this rain keeps up I won't be changing no tyres (have you ever tried to man handle a 22 inch wheel out of a range rover boot, they even provide a winch for it !).

So as an update........ new windscreen required

Apparently its not possible for them to refit the rear view mirror.

New screen being fitted next Thursday....... under warranty ;-)

I have managed to rig up v2 temp fix using slightly wider strips of reg plate sticky pads and it seems pretty good, hopefully will last until next week. I had asked Porsche to either remove the rear view mirror or do a temp fix. To be fair they tried a temp fix as they are not allowed to remove the rear view mirrors but my solution was neater more stable so I redid it when I got home.

Bit of a pain but can't complain at a few visits to an OPC to see the cars on display. As per my last visit to OPC Glasgow a few months ago I was surprised by the number of new 718's in the showroom for sale. All good spec including a nice lava orange so c£70k motors. They had a second hand 718 for sale with decent spec but their 918 GTS priced higher ;-)

Took a pick of mine parked next to some 981 GTS's which where in for services....

2017-06-09%2011.04.15.jpg

Screen are made in the factory with a 'tab' bonded on that the mirror then fixes to. Mirrors are notoriously difficult to re-fix once they come off. If I was in that position, and it wasn't a warranty job, I would have a go at re-bonding the tab using a good quality 2 pack epoxy and then after its had a number of days to cure I would then try reattaching the mirror.

Yep if it was not under warranty I reckon I could fix it. I think Halfords do a kit for this type of thing. My has rain and auto light sensors which is in the middle so you would have to be very careful how any bonding agent spread.

3 hours ago, topradio said:

Screen are made in the factory with a 'tab' bonded on that the mirror then fixes to. Mirrors are notoriously difficult to re-fix once they come off. If I was in that position, and it wasn't a warranty job, I would have a go at re-bonding the tab using a good quality 2 pack epoxy and then after its had a number of days to cure I would then try reattaching the mirror.

I'd never really noticed before but when they swapped the screen on my 987 last year it had a pre-fixed disc/mounting plate in place already that they just swapped the mirror into - which just twisted and snapped into position.  I asked about this and was told it was always pre-fitted, was super strong and would never fall off... 

Archived