Red 718 GTS

RBD914 v2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

The big but? If you did have the money would you buy an £80k car?

Yes,  I would, its not a big but?????? I meant to imply I did not like that particularly 80k car. Now Robs old 981 GTS that was classy looking car, as is the current car, not 80k and highly enjoyable. I certainly think enjoyment is a state of mind however, and if we are grounded enjoyment does not increase proportionaly to money spent. Its a bit like s3x, you don't necessarily get to enjoy it more if your wealthy and important. A big part of censorship is motivated by that concept. Its the flip side of advertising, if you catch my drift.?

2 hours ago, Topbox said:

Yes,  I would, its not a big but?????? I meant to imply I did not like that particularly 80k car. Now Robs old 981 GTS that was classy looking car, as is the current car, not 80k and highly enjoyable. I certainly think enjoyment is a state of mind however, and if we are grounded enjoyment does not increase proportionaly to money spent. Its a bit like s3x, you don't necessarily get to enjoy it more if your wealthy and important. A big part of censorship is motivated by that concept. Its the flip side of advertising, if you catch my drift.?

very thoughtful Bob! I do agree, pleasure can be derived from things nothing to do with the cost or value of them.

On 3/17/2018 at 8:45 AM, RBD914 v2 said:

I said to the the salesman  pointing at the red GTS "That looks nice, shame that its got two cylinders missing!"

Funnily enough the guy manoeuvring the GTS said to me "Is this yours?"

"No" I said pointing to my white 981S in the showroom.

"Good he said, that's a far better car!"

can't stop laughing .............. if you haven't invested in either car and you try drive both you'll choose the 718 every time

2 hours ago, basaltbox said:

can't stop laughing .............. if you haven't invested in either car and you try drive both you'll choose the 718 every time

Don't know why you are laughing???

I have driven both but prefer the flat 6 experience thanks!

So no, it's not the 718 every time, or any time in fact...

3 hours ago, basaltbox said:

Disagree.

Test-drove 718S and having spec'd one up, was about to pull the trigger, back in 2016. It was going to be my first Porsche, after a life-long dream. Put things on hold due to sudden health issue with a family member, now improving, but decided my first (and perhaps only) Porsche, after 40-odd years of waiting, had to be a N/A flat-six. 

Oh, and I can't stop laughing.....

everytime i get in, start it and drive my 981 GTS.

2 hours ago, Blackbatchew said:

I bet 80 v 65 increase is mainly due to sterling weakness - bloody brexit politicians making our hobby more expensive! 

Fake news. I bought my car in 2014 at a time when the exchange rate was almost the same as now. In fact the £ was pretty strong at about the time Porsche put their prices up. Manufacturers will always push the market to make as much money as possible and with the Boxster at least I really do believe that they have overcooked it.

ruc0vOU.png?1 

4 hours ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Disagree.

Test-drove 718S and having spec'd one up, was about to pull the trigger, back in 2016. It was going to be my first Porsche, after a life-long dream. Put things on hold due to sudden health issue with a family member, now improving, but decided my first (and perhaps only) Porsche, after 40-odd years of waiting, had to be a N/A flat-six. 

Oh, and I can't stop laughing.....

everytime i get in, start it and drive my 981 GTS.

yes, you've invested in a 981 as i said.

4 hours ago, topradio said:

Fake news. I bought my car in 2014 at a time when the exchange rate was almost the same as now. In fact the £ was pretty strong at about the time Porsche put their prices up. Manufacturers will always push the market to make as much money as possible and with the Boxster at least I really do believe that they have overcooked it.

ruc0vOU.png?1 

You are probably right on the over cooked prices but 2014 was a very different story when the rest of Europe was still suffering from very weak demand and so the UK was a real focus for the manufacturers. The other complexity is the level of hedging they use to cover forex exposure so spot rates don’t match their actual rate. I was with a VW group director recently  who told me they had annual €200m of exchange gains in 2016 in the UK which were gradually wiped out once the £ crashed and the hedging unwound. 

2 hours ago, Blackbatchew said:

You are probably right on the over cooked prices but 2014 was a very different story when the rest of Europe was still suffering from very weak demand and so the UK was a real focus for the manufacturers. The other complexity is the level of hedging they use to cover forex exposure so spot rates don’t match their actual rate. I was with a VW group director recently  who told me they had annual €200m of exchange gains in 2016 in the UK which were gradually wiped out once the £ crashed and the hedging unwound. 

That's interesting. It might explain why, in the past few years, some Porsche cars were cheaper in the UK than on mainland Europe. I've not checked more recently but I bet it isn't the case now.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice agate grey 718GTS at Portsmouth with GTS interior. £75k. Tempted ? not me, even the salesman agreed cracking car but poor sound. Nice 911 GTS convertible there as well in Sapphire blue with light grey leather. Now that`s a different kettle of fish......

On 24/03/2018 at 4:49 AM, basaltbox said:

Wrong, I tried both and chose a 981, it was not even a close decision. You stopped laughing yet ?

Saw the cayman GTS 718 at east London OPC  a few weeks ago, during new cayenne launch. Fantastic looking car indeed but it was nearly 75k? Sorry but it's total madness. :blink:

I sat briefly in a sapphire blue 718 GTS at the Belfast launch of the Cayenne - so the mirror image of my car. TBH, apart from the seats (huge side hump to get over before settling in to the seat) and the colour of the dash (mine is blue leather), there wasn't a lot different to my S. I'm not a lover of alcantara either so that wouldn't have helped.

Portsmouth also have a racing yellow 718 GTS demo. Apart from GTS interior it is near identical to my 981GTS. it does look very good. Tempted to take a drive. When I drove the 718S I was very impressed with the performance compared to my (at that time) 981 2.7. However, when I drove the 981GTS the sound sold it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the dealers two days ago they had a Cayman GT4 in red now that is a car, 4k miles listed at 68k selling for 82k. I know which one I would choose! 

Didn't know that to get on the list to buy a new one you have to buy at least 6 cars with them, and 7 to get invited on the list for the Gt3. I can't see me ever getting to that stage but would be nice to buy a car that didn't loose money. 

29 minutes ago, Arl30 said:

I can't see me ever getting to that stage but would be nice to buy a car that didn't loose money. 

This hasn't always been the case so I personally wouldnt concern yourself too much with this. Without getting into the ‘bubble’ issue the prices have been like this ever since it wasnt worth keeping money in the bank making nothing. You could buy GT3’s etc all day long if you had the money but they depreciated too, just slower. Now flippers have made the market what it is with OPC’s getting in on it with their buy back terms and being the real winners as always. 

It may be a while but i believe at some point in the near future these cars will depreciate big time and some owners will get burnt and OPC’s will be going through their lists for all those customers who never had a chance to buy one looking to bump up their targets.

• 2 months later...

There are currently 11 x 718GTS for sale and have been for a few weeks now. Given the time of year I would have expected them to be selling, or are people testing then ordering new ? Given the factory is apparently closed for refit I doubt that as the current wait must be quite long. 

On 4/18/2018 at 7:19 PM, r1flyguy said:

This hasn't always been the case so I personally wouldnt concern yourself too much with this. Without getting into the ‘bubble’ issue the prices have been like this ever since it wasnt worth keeping money in the bank making nothing. You could buy GT3’s etc all day long if you had the money but they depreciated too, just slower. Now flippers have made the market what it is with OPC’s getting in on it with their buy back terms and being the real winners as always. 

It may be a while but i believe at some point in the near future these cars will depreciate big time and some owners will get burnt and OPC’s will be going through their lists for all those customers who never had a chance to buy one looking to bump up their targets.

This^^^^

Even if you have enough spare assets to afford anything Porsche currently makes, might you not elect to have 90+% of the fun for 10% of the cost? It was never about bragging rights, but the permagrin it brought as I volunteered to go pick up the ..... She always knew I'd be taking the long way.

On 3/17/2018 at 12:16 PM, Topbox said:

LOL, not that I am speaking from experience BUT if you are wealthy enough I suspect s3x could be considerably more enjoyable, at least that's what Mrs. Ext says :)

Archived