981 Coding

spook

I have an appointment with PIWIS II at the OPC next week. I was hoping to take the opportunity to do get some custom coding done. So far I'm going to ask for stop/start default OFF
and enable auto locking at 5MPH.

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interested in this Spook as I would like to make some changes and know if they would activate anything that I retrofit in the future.  Can you ask about the rain sensing wipers if you don't have them already, I think all 981s have the sensor installed and it just needs to be activated?

I've seen a bhp/torque graph or something similar in the cluster which could be activated but not sure on the exact details of this.

It will be a PIWISIII that they use.  I doubt they will change the stop/start default setting, but if they do, let me know how! 

For most retrofits it isn't a simple coding change like the 986 and 987.  You need an Activation Code, based on the vehicle's VIN, which is entered using the PIWIS tester (II or III).  Presumably Porsche implemented this to stop DIYers and Indies doing retrofits without going through them for the codes.  The codes are available elsewhere though, so there are still savings to be made if you are keen.

I thought the auto lock was already in the normal vehicle settings ?

Good luck with the start/stop - be VERY interested if they do that for you.

Is Appleplay or Porsche Connect available to the 981 ?

"Online Services" is available as a retrofit on the 981 PCM3.1, which I assume is Porsche Connect.  It will definitely be dealer only, as they have to link it to your account on a Porsche server.  It is fairly expensive, according to the PET Tequipment catalogue - £165 inc. VAT - if you only get live traffic for that money.

Edit: Apple Carplay was introduced on the 718 with PCM4.0.

Another one here who would love to turn off the auto stop/start. Please let us know if they can do it, the pessimist in me suspects that they won't  but I'm sure its possible.  

This guy will supply activation codes https://www.code-porsche.com/

Edit - BTW I have online services enabled, can anybody tell me what I can use it for? I did initially download an app called AHA for my phone but it was pretty useless. 

18 hours ago, daz05 said:

Can you ask about the rain sensing wipers if you don't have them already, I think all 981s have the sensor ,just needs to be activated?

Not heard that before but very interested if possible

I spoke to Porsche Wolverhampton about de activating the stop start and they said by doing so it can cause other issues so its not worth messing about with, these cars are so high tech electronics it frightens me, I cant stop imagining all the wear and tear on the alternator/starter/battery and all the other bits but will have to live with it. Loving the car, the sound with the roof down, love the curves of the rear with the lip that continues into the rear lights and the way she sits on the road, having said that always carry a hair brush in the glove box !  

2 minutes ago, RussellHorner said:

I always carry a hair brush and scissors in the glove box !  

Perfect car for you . On the next meet can you please sort out my hat hair.. Your now the official club hairdresser. :woot::bye:

I don't mind the start stop that have bigger alternator starter and higher capacity battery than cars without.. Could you not just fix the start stop switch to be on the off position.. The rain sensing wipers  interested in :woot:

2 hours ago, RussellHorner said:

I spoke to Porsche Wolverhampton about de activating the stop start and they said by doing so it can cause other issues so its not worth messing about with ...

What a load of old cr*p.

2 hours ago, RussellHorner said:

I spoke to Porsche Wolverhampton about de activating the stop start and they said by doing so it can cause other issues so its not worth messing about with, these cars are so high tech electronics it frightens me, I cant stop imagining all the wear and tear on the alternator/starter/battery and all the other bits but will have to live with it. Loving the car, the sound with the roof down, love the curves of the rear with the lip that continues into the rear lights and the way she sits on the road, having said that always carry a hair brush in the glove box !  

Every time I get in the car I just turn the stop start off.

I always turn the key to start and then press the sport button which disables Start/Stop and activates PES. I don't think the car has ever start/stopped whilst I've owned it lol

3 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

I always turn the key to start and then press the sport button which disables Start/Stop and activates PES. I don't think the car has ever start/stopped whilst I've owned it lol

Me too

17 hours ago, topradio said:

Another one here who would love to turn off the auto stop/start. Please let us know if they can do it, the pessimist in me suspects that they won't  but I'm sure its possible.  

This guy will supply activation codes https://www.code-porsche.com/

Edit - BTW I have online services enabled, can anybody tell me what I can use it for? I did initially download an app called AHA for my phone but it was pretty useless. 

Its a year since I looked at this and it is pretty confusing but I have live traffic updates working on mine. I think to get them you have to have:

- the online services option

- the AHA app installed on your phone (I can's remember if you have to link it to the car but I think its done automatically when bluetooth phone connection is setup)

- I think the car then uses your phones SIM to download live traffic data.

nb I also have the full phone connectivity option (Can't remember what its called but it more than just bluetooth, it clones your phone sim to the cars sim so you get better signal etc.....)

Its all very confusing as AHA is an obscure "music" app but you use it for live traffic updates, really it just acts as a portal for your phone to use your phones sim data for live traffic info, a weird way to do it which they moved away from with PCM4 in the 718.

5 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

I have to try that  :bye:

I too have noticed I have traffic updates listed for all over the UK in my PCM options.

To the best of my knowledge I haven't got the live traffic option, and I definitely don't' have AHA on my phone. 

Does this option bring in the "safety cameras" as that would be a nice to have ?

It does annoy me when services like this and the "connect" service come with a new Polo ! I swear the "find my car" was written for my sister :lol:

7 hours ago, Forest said:

Not heard that before but very interested if possible

I hadn't either but I noted that the part no. for the sensor stays the same regardless of whether or not you have the option, there is also a fuse in the rain sensor position on my car which suggests to me that it's simply a coding option.

Porsche generally would only wire for options specified.

I don’t really mind the start stop apart from  at a roundabout approach - where it can be a bit of anuisance. In a traffic jam it’s a Godsend!

as for turning on the built in remap for more BHP - where do I sign up for that?

it may just be a flick over to the cayman map, which allows full throttle at high ROM to release another 10 BHP. 

6 hours ago, Patt said:

I too have noticed I have traffic updates listed for all over the UK in my PCM options.

To the best of my knowledge I haven't got the live traffic option, and I definitely don't' have AHA on my phone. 

I had it in the 987 and also on the 981, I think its the 'dumb' info from the radio traffic update you are talking about as opposed to the funky live one you can get which is via Google or similar on the new models with full online capabilities (and maybe something in between the two via the Aha App mentioned above)

i.e.

basic no frills via radio signal

Aha app is some functionality using mobile phone connectivity (not sure how/what)

Newer google maps type updates on new models with full online service/system (havent seen these myself so no experience of them but possibly subscription based after initital 2/3 yrs of ownership)

Spook regarding a load of old cr4p im only relaying what I was told by a lovely and informed lady in the service department at Wolverhampton Porsche, maybe you can explain why its cr4p if you are so well informed otherwise ?? thank you jonttt i will try your technique. 

7 minutes ago, RussellHorner said:

Spook regarding a load of old cr4p im only relaying what I was told by a lovely and informed lady in the service department at Wolverhampton Porsche, maybe you can explain why its cr4p if you are so well informed otherwise ?? thank you jonttt i will try your technique. 

I think he was commenting on what the OPC said being a load of  cr4p, I’ve got to say I agree with him, clearly the OPC is just trying to avoid the request by implying there’s some random unknown side effects.  Hundreds of people have been using that memory module above in the USA for just this purpose for years with no reported issues. In essence all you are doing is pressing the disable button but doing it automatically. The only side effects will be better battery life, better starter motor life, no hesitation when pulling out of junctions and maybe £1/year extra fuel consumption.

I don' have a problem with the start/stop 

As it's  been said already,as soon as I start up - sport mode/exhaust is switched on 

Archived