981 Coding

spook

7 hours ago, Greenman said:

I think he was commenting on what the OPC said being a load of  cr4p, I’ve got to say I agree with him, clearly the OPC is just trying to avoid the request by implying there’s some random unknown side effects.  Hundreds of people have been using that memory module above in the USA for just this purpose for years with no reported issues. In essence all you are doing is pressing the disable button but doing it automatically. The only side effects will be better battery life, better starter motor life, no hesitation when pulling out of junctions and maybe £1/year extra fuel consumption.

This.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, mrbikerdood said:

I don' have a problem with the start/stop 

As it's  been said already,as soon as I start up - sport mode/exhaust is switched on 

nor do I but it seems it works better on manual cars ;)

Just back from the OPC who performed some PIWIS magic on my 981, as follows:

- New 781 (982) MF steering wheel coded and now fully operational

- Cruise control enabled (I retrofitted this after rebuilding the lever assembly with parts from Fleabay and activated using FSC code obtained from www.code-porsche.com)

- Stop/start button coded: it now remembers the previous setting when ignition switched on (so it's now left disabled!)

and specially for daz05:

- Rain sensing wipers enabled! :)

The only remaining issue is that I have the annoying yellow SIM card icon appear every time the car is started, which then minimises next to the clock and stays on. OPC said it was low batteries in the PVTS fobs, but I've changed these and the icon still appears. A quick Google search suggests that the fault may lie with the service provider where the PVTS is inactive due to being out of subscription - enquiries made with Vodafone Automotive and I await developments ...

That's fantastic. Which OPC was this? as I find that they usually aren't interested in modifying away from standard. Did you have to buy a brand new wheel or did you find a used one? Pictures please!

6 minutes ago, topradio said:

That's fantastic. Which OPC was this? as I find that they usually aren't interested in modifying away from standard. Did you have to buy a brand new wheel or did you find a used one? Pictures please!

Porsche Bolton. First visit, found them extremely friendly and helpful, most unlike some of my previous experiences with main agents.

I bought a second hand 718 wheel off Fleabay and the necessary STMV-1 Canbus adapter from www.gpsadapter.us

Porsche Bolton Service Department really are very good. I have used them several times and never had any cause for complaint. I also bought my 718 there and have nothing but praise for their Sales department too..

On 4/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, RussellHorner said:

I spoke to Porsche Wolverhampton about de activating the stop start and they said by doing so it can cause other issues....

On 4/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, spook said:

What a load of old cr*p.

On 4/26/2018 at 1:52 PM, Graham Inkpen said:

Porsche have probably told their dealers to discourage it due to environmental issues in towns and citys. The emphasis on mental :lol:

On 4/27/2018 at 9:05 AM, RussellHorner said:

Spook regarding a load of old cr4p im only relaying what I was told by a lovely and informed lady in the service department at Wolverhampton Porsche, maybe you can explain why its cr4p if you are so well informed otherwise ??

On 4/27/2018 at 9:20 AM, Greenman said:

I think he was commenting on what the OPC said being a load of  cr4p, I’ve got to say I agree with him, clearly the OPC is just trying to avoid the request by implying there’s some random unknown side effects......

One side effect is that your vehicle excise duty rate is related to the CO2 emissions.  Part of the lower emission bracket that your car is in, is due to the fact that it is fitted with stop/start technology.  

9 minutes ago, Araf said:

One side effect is that your vehicle excise duty rate is related to the CO2 emissions.  Part of the lower emission bracket that your car is in, is due to the fact that it is fitted with stop/start technology.  

Hardly a side effect surely, as the VEL does not change whether the stop/start is activated or not?

29 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I'm gobsmacked. I never thought they would re-code the stop-start, never mind entering a hookie FSC to enable the cruise.  Can I ask what they charged?

Just the standard diagnostic fee, £100 + VAT, total £120

Just now, Richard Hamilton said:

I don't suppose you got to look over their shoulder? It would be nice to know what coding change they made to the stop/start.

I didn't, but it didn't seem to be much of a problem for the Tech using PIWIS. Can't understand why others seem to have had problems with getting this done.

29 minutes ago, spook said:

Hardly a side effect surely, as the VEL does not change whether the stop/start is activated or not?

The VED rate is worked out against the standard spec and one way to lower the g/km figure is to have the vehicle switched off when stationary, hence manufacturers adding the button and software.  I think the OPC has done really well at not letting you fall foul of that one by programming the button to remember the previous position rather than defaulting to off. B)

10 hours ago, Araf said:

I think the OPC has done really well at not letting you fall foul of that one by programming the button to remember the previous position rather than defaulting to off. B)

I’m not sure that this solution does sidestep that particular VED rule, as far as I know the stop start must default to on to be considered in the g/km figures. 

11 hours ago, Araf said:

The VED rate is worked out against the standard spec and one way to lower the g/km figure is to have the vehicle switched off when stationary, hence manufacturers adding the button and software.  I think the OPC has done really well at not letting you fall foul of that one by programming the button to remember the previous position rather than defaulting to off. B)

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

I’m not sure that this solution does sidestep that particular VED rule, as far as I know the stop start must default to on to be considered in the g/km figures. 

Not sure OPC's have a positive duty to uphold factory published CO2 figures at all times .... :huh:

1 minute ago, spook said:

Not sure OPC's have a positive duty to uphold factory published CO2 figures at all times .... :huh:

What would happen if you were stopped by VOSA and they noted the button not working as intended?  Would you technically be evading VED and your car therefore liable to seizure and crushing?

The fact you can override the start stop, means it is not mandatory to use start/stop. VOSA don't enforce this.

The guys over at BMWLand often code this to remember last setting, or set to dafault=override

reminds me to get it done on the X3 - it's really annoying in traffic filled London/SE , but okay when out in the sticks

31 minutes ago, Araf said:

What would happen if you were stopped by VOSA and they noted the button not working as intended?  Would you technically be evading VED and your car therefore liable to seizure and crushing?

When a car is submitted for type approval by a manufacturer, it is tested and is assigned a once-and-for-all CO2 figure. Thenceforth, technically you could buy said car and replace the engine with one with a higher CO2 output and still be subject to the original CO2 figure and VED.

On 5/2/2018 at 7:10 PM, spook said:

Just back from the OPC who performed some PIWIS magic on my 981, as follows:

- New 781 (982) MF steering wheel coded and now fully operational

- Cruise control enabled (I retrofitted this after rebuilding the lever assembly with parts from Fleabay and activated using FSC code obtained from www.code-porsche.com)

- Stop/start button coded: it now remembers the previous setting when ignition switched on (so it's now left disabled!)

and specially for daz05:

- Rain sensing wipers enabled! :)

The only remaining issue is that I have the annoying yellow SIM card icon appear every time the car is started, which then minimises next to the clock and stays on. OPC said it was low batteries in the PVTS fobs, but I've changed these and the icon still appears. A quick Google search suggests that the fault may lie with the service provider where the PVTS is inactive due to being out of subscription - enquiries made with Vodafone Automotive and I await developments ...

Spook. Awesome update and thanks for following up. I'll be asking my opc to enable my sensor next time I'm in for a service, pretty annoying that it wasn't already.

23 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I don't suppose you got to look over their shoulder? It would be nice to know what coding change they made to the stop/start.

Did you need to practise ?

12 hours ago, Araf said:

Absolutely nothing as I'm sure you are well aware.

Archived