Fitting 2 left front discs?

el 3.2S

Just received my nice service pack from Carparts4less, comprosing 4 Brembo discs and sets of pads together with 10 litres Shell Helix oil and a Mann oil fliter. When ordering, it looked like I had no choice but to order 2 left front discs? Rears were sold in a pair. I reckoned it would be sorted out and would receive a matched pair for the front and included a note with my order. Today, on checking my goods, I have indeed received 2 left front discs. Have tried to make contact with them but their customer service seems worse than Ryan Air's and have had no contact from them.

Question is will it make any difference fitting the 2 left discs?

Edit, I should add I never track or rarely thrash my car and generally gets driven "granny"style to the supermarket and back.

I've just fitted some Pagid discs to mine and they are the same disc for left and right.

Looking on ECP (They're basically the same company as far as I can tell) Brembo discs are not handed. Same as I can see on Car Parts 4 Less too

I have just been on the ECP webkat which Motor factors use as I have access to it through my job. The front Brembo brake discs are handed. The vent hole rotations are different for each side and each side has a different part number. The same goes for the Pagid discs mentioned above. I just looked at a generic 986S from 02-04.

Barake discs for the 2.7 are NOT handed as they appear to be solid and not drilled discs.

The rears do not appear to be handed.

Thanks for all the replies.

I can see that the front discs on the car (most likely original ones) have the drilled holes radiating backwards. Fitting a left disc on the right side will reverse this and I suppose the cooling vanes down the centre will not be as efficient when spinning the opposite way?  I agree that I am very unlikely to notice any difference and likely have no choice but to fit them as can't get a reply from the supplier. 

If the discs are the same diameter I wonder how much difference the vent holes make. Surely they are expected at a level of higher performance but we know how people drive 2.5s and 2.7s and they seem to cope OK, in fact the vent holes only seem to make a difference in accelerating corrosion!  I wonder about brake dust build up?  Overall it doesn't sound like you have much to worry about if you are not driving it to the limit.   Wonder about some insurance claim being denied with an over-zealous inspector?

17 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

If the discs are the same diameter I wonder how much difference the vent holes make. Surely they are expected at a level of higher performance but we know how people drive 2.5s and 2.7s and they seem to cope OK, in fact the vent holes only seem to make a difference in accelerating corrosion! 

Absolutely agree.

If sensibly-priced solid or dimpled alternatives existed they would surely be the most popular discs for 996s & 986Ss, 987s etc...

Cheers, Baggers.

I seem to remember someone saying they had an issue with cp4l and sorted it by going into a ecp?Might be an option to take one in and exchange.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

If the discs are the same diameter I wonder how much difference the vent holes make. Surely they are expected at a level of higher performance but we know how people drive 2.5s and 2.7s and they seem to cope OK, in fact the vent holes only seem to make a difference in accelerating corrosion!  I wonder about brake dust build up?  Overall it doesn't sound like you have much to worry about if you are not driving it to the limit.   Wonder about some insurance claim being denied with an over-zealous inspector?

Agree about the corrosion bit, also they reduce the disc area available to the pads. Solid ones sound better all round.

3 hours ago, bagss2 said:

Absolutely agree.

If sensibly-priced solid or dimpled alternatives existed they would surely be the most popular discs for 996s & 986Ss, 987s etc...

Cheers, Baggers.

But the holes look pretty:lol::lol:.

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

I seem to remember someone saying they had an issue with cp4l and sorted it by going into a ecp?Might be an option to take one in and exchange.

Hmmmm I nearly bought from ECP but the promotion code for the other lot made things cheaper and it swayed me. Not possible to pop in to exchange one as I had them couriered to other end of Europe, where I live. Think I have to live with them now as customer service at cp4l does not exist in any shape or form.

I would suggest you keep trying them, or as Liberty has implied, they are actually the same group as ECP, so you could actually try calling ECP instead, if they aren't wiling to help you themselves, I'll bet they can get you through to someone at CP4L.

Whilst is seems like a minor point, it's actually worse than you could first think. The holes/vents going in the opposite direction will actually direct heat, dust and possibly even stray dirt/road debris inwards towards the hub, rather than away from the disk. This could cause you problems, especially heat-wise as you are in an already hot climate, and at the very least there will be inbalance between the two. (one getting cooled the other being heated)

Interestingly at my last Service and MoT done at Parrs in Crawley who had an impeccable reputation and racing heritage with Porsches, fitted new front brakes disks the wrong way around on my car, left on Right, and Right on Left. Did not spot it themselves, released the car to me and I only noticed once I got home, I do wonder how many customers might not have noticed/realised. I needed to return the car back to them to rectify their error in the middle of the 'Beast from the East' snow, its a fair trek from where I live too, and a fair few hours wait too.

Not happy, I will not be using them again (it was not the only issue I had).

3 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Hmmmm I nearly bought from ECP but the promotion code for the other lot made things cheaper and it swayed me. Not possible to pop in to exchange one as I had them couriered to other end of Europe, where I live. Think I have to live with them now as customer service at cp4l does not exist in any shape or form.

Post a steaming review of cp4l on Trustpilot and you'll get a response...mine's the one titled 'Absolute Garbage'.  Immediate follow up from customer services, order cancelled and scheduled delivery recalled,  6 piece valeting kit and voucher for £10 (debatable whether i'll risk another order) as compensation.

5 hours ago, Tex24v said:

I would suggest you keep trying them, or as Liberty has implied, they are actually the same group as ECP, so you could actually try calling ECP instead, if they aren't wiling to help you themselves, I'll bet they can get you through to someone at CP4L.

Whilst is seems like a minor point, it's actually worse than you could first think. The holes/vents going in the opposite direction will actually direct heat, dust and possibly even stray dirt/road debris inwards towards the hub, rather than away from the disk. This could cause you problems, especially heat-wise as you are in an already hot climate, and at the very least there will be inbalance between the two. (one getting cooled the other being heated)

Interestingly at my last Service and MoT done at Parrs in Crawley who had an impeccable reputation and racing heritage with Porsches, fitted new front brakes disks the wrong way around on my car, left on Right, and Right on Left. Did not spot it themselves, released the car to me and I only noticed once I got home, I do wonder how many customers might not have noticed/realised. I needed to return the car back to them to rectify their error in the middle of the 'Beast from the East' snow, its a fair trek from where I live too, and a fair few hours wait too.

Not happy, I will not be using them again (it was not the only issue I had).

That is an interesting point about the debris and heat. I would rather have the correct discs if possible. Perhaps two wrongly fitted ones is slightly better than a right and a wrong? Not planning on fitting them in coming weeks due to working away, so have time for them to maybe eventually get back to me.

3 hours ago, red rocket said:

Post a steaming review of cp4l on Trustpilot and you'll get a response...mine's the one titled 'Absolute Garbage'.  Immediate follow up from customer services, order cancelled and scheduled delivery recalled,  6 piece valeting kit and voucher for £10 (debatable whether i'll risk another order) as compensation.

Nice! Actually I just received and replied to a "how did we do e mail" lol! I may have been slightly scathing!

24 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Nice! Actually I just received and replied to a "how did we do e mail" lol! I may have been slightly scathing!

Only slightly scathing. I’m disappointed. Your should have torn them a new one in the review. They get filtered by the marketing survey company anyway. 

1 hour ago, Shazbot said:

The holes and vents are designed to direct the gases and heat out and away. As you don't drive 'progressively' I suspect you won't even notice.

Politely, that was my point :) 

I ordered a service kit for my van from CP4L. Oil, Oil filter and air filter. They all came separately. Ordered a month ago and only received the air filter today. No comms. Nothing. I had paid by PayPal so raised a dispute about the missing air filter after not being able to get through on their Customer Service line and no reply to 3 emails. 

They did not reply to PayPal either so PayPal refunded the whole amount. So now I have been trying to get through to sort out payment for the items I did receive. No surprise I can't get any response from them. Then to top it off the air filter arrived yesterday.

I have given up and am waiting to hear from them.

8 hours ago, T911UK said:
10433051A left  

10433052A right

Lazy site with no descriptions, must happen alot!

Yes, I would think so. Thanks for confirming the right side part number.

1 hour ago, uggski said:

I ordered a service kit for my van from CP4L. Oil, Oil filter and air filter. They all came separately. Ordered a month ago and only received the air filter today. No comms. Nothing. I had paid by PayPal so raised a dispute about the missing air filter after not being able to get through on their Customer Service line and no reply to 3 emails. 

They did not reply to PayPal either so PayPal refunded the whole amount. So now I have been trying to get through to sort out payment for the items I did receive. No surprise I can't get any response from them. Then to top it off the air filter arrived yesterday.

I have given up and am waiting to hear from them.

I have had the same, one order for various bits which ends up with several tracking numbers and boxes arriving randomly. I think I paid with Paypal too, so may start a case, as I did not receive what I should. May get some action (would not bet on it though lol) if they have to refund one of the front discs? Your level of customer service and care sounds on a par with mine - ie absolutely zero!:flush:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I made a Paypal claim for one of the front discs. CP4L agreed it and the amount will be refunded. I suggested this option, rather than shipping it back and other one being sent down - am quite sure that would have ended badly. Will just fit the 2 left hand ones and as mentioned will hopefully notice no difference - except it cost only half of what it should have!

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. I have now received two more air filters but no replies to the emails I have sent them. I have asked if I can just return them to ECP. As before I will wait to hear from them before i do anything but I won't be holding my breath.

As already stated it’s not the cross drills that’s the issue, it’s the internal vanes. In a repeated heavy braking situation - on track certainly but also on a long, twisty downhill like Stelvio (loads like that in Norfolk ?)  - your brakes will heat unevenly and the braking performance will in turn be uneven.

Ive just fitted new Brembo discs to the front of my 2004 S and they are most certainly handed.

Archived