FPSH

bally4563

Also once a car gets to the 10, 15 year + point i dont think it really affects resale value whether the last few services have been carried out by a garage or an individual as its "an old car" by this point, you get an overall feel of the car when you go and view one anyway by looking at the all round condition. When i sold my 986 i had kept a folder full of receipts for the services with the dates and mileage of when i fitted the parts, and he was more than happy with that, and i do the same with the 987 now. 

That does remind me - Due a full service this month i think ?

As a follow up to this, My new comment is, so much for having FPSH!! Went to do the oil change yesterday to find that the drain plug is rounded off, !!!!! So I couldn't remove and did want to use brute force etc until I've got a replacement plug...........to say I was a tad frustrated was an understatement!!!

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

As a follow up to this, My new comment is, so much for having FPSH!! Went to do the oil change yesterday to find that the drain plug is rounded off, !!!!! So I couldn't remove and did want to use brute force etc until I've got a replacement plug...........to say I was a tad frustrated was an understatement!!!

I think I have a 986 bung plug left over from when I changed to a magnetic bung which was subsequently changed for an IMS Guardian bung.

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I doubt any Porsche dealer would miss the opportunity to sell you a new sump plug.  My guess is that 'FPSH' just means they kept to the schedule, and additional oil changes were either done at home, or with a mate.

I would RATHER, after a certain age see a car maintained by the owner...

this tells me a number of things.

1) owner has mechanical sensitivity, car is unlikely to have been driven low on oil, with worn pads, or indeed driven on with anything that may have caused damage an any strange smells or rough running will have been noticed and addressed, unlike the average driver who doesn't go to a garage until either the book says so or it breaks down.

2) work is done when its required, and often before as the cost of a main dealer stamp is not going to deter the owner from ''waiting till next payday'' as the y are only covering parts cost.

3)  people that self maintain tend to stay on top of all the stuff that isn't in the book, so its likely the rest of the car has been addressed, which to be driven ''properly'' by a enthusiast it would have to be mechanically in good health.

main dealer stamps do not really mean much,as the car  could have spent its life going through major/ minor services without clutch, suspension, brakes, gearbox oil,ever having been touched which means YOU, the new owner of your FPSH car will have to pick up the bill for all of that.

obviously common sense applies as well, if the seller is ''shady'' or something doesn't seem right walk away...plenty for sale.

Mine has FPSH but if I was keeping it, I certainly wouldn't be taking it to Porsche... from my ebay advert experiences people will always try to knock you down without even seeing the car.  Had one the other day who even said "it looks immaculate in the pictures, whats the lowest you will take".  For me, I go and see a car and see if there is anything I can find to negotiate the price on but maybe I am old fashioned!

A lot of people wouldn't know the difference between "FSH" and "FPSH" anyway

7 minutes ago, toplad said:

With the chancers who say, what is the lowest you'll take. I counter with , what's the most you'll pay? 

Or not answer at all 

It is really painful... especially when you know if they actually came to see the car, there is absolutely nothing they could even try to knock it down on!

6 hours ago, bally4563 said:

If you're in a rush, I've got one that I was going to fit at my next service. If you're passing Wilmslow let me know.

6 hours ago, Nobbie said:

If you're in a rush, I've got one that I was going to fit at my next service. If you're passing Wilmslow let me know.

Thanks Rob I've sorted Ta.

Ok drain plug out and new one fitted, carried out minor service oil and all filters(Mann) circa £100 in parts whilst underneath full check over, oh!! And front brake pads, I’m happy no stamp but fully receipted.

On 8/12/2018 at 12:03 PM, Araf said:

I doubt any Porsche dealer would miss the opportunity to sell you a new sump plug.  My guess is that 'FPSH' just means they kept to the schedule, and additional oil changes were either done at home, or with a mate.

Yeh, this is what I do. All Porsche required services done by OPC, but I do extra yearly oil changes myself.

I’d be slightly worried with a rounded plug though as it’s not one that should have a huge torque on.

On 8/12/2018 at 12:27 PM, Bike Loon said:

Mine has FPSH but if I was keeping it, I certainly wouldn't be taking it to Porsche... from my ebay advert experiences people will always try to knock you down without even seeing the car.  Had one the other day who even said "it looks immaculate in the pictures, whats the lowest you will take".  For me, I go and see a car and see if there is anything I can find to negotiate the price on but maybe I am old fashioned!

A lot of people wouldn't know the difference between "FSH" and "FPSH" anyway

Same for me - will "buy the buyer" as well as the car, if the seller is a bit dodgy, chances are the car is too - we aren't exactly dealing with one off masterpieces here so there are lots to chose from usually.

I'm not even fussed about mileage - people still seem hung up on the magic 100,000 mile mark and that the car will implode at 100,001 miles - but there are some proper bargains to be had in this area.

I've not got a reputation for keeping a car long, but this one feels more of a keeper than anything else i've had - to better the performance or driving experience will take a lot of extra cash - the same age/spec 911 as my 987.2 is another £20k+

My car has a FSH, one of the previous services was at an indy and the last one was Bristol OPC for a major service which i thought unusual (but good for me) but i'll be using my local garage that i've used for years because i trust him. He also has a 20,000 mile 997.1 so knows what he's doing.

Archived