FPSH

bally4563

My car, has FPSH , however it’s due an oil change, I don’t want to pay Porsche tax for a stamp in a book, for something that is a walk in the park!!

Would this deter people if and when I come to sell? Especially if receipts are saved with mileage documented when it was done?

I'm sure it would deter some, but Im not sure it matters on a car of that age if the buyer is confident that the person doing it knows what he's doing. 

To many potential buyers though , doing your own oil change says skin flint, even though it's easy and quick to do. 

A reputable indy stamp would suffice.

I was told that because I did most of the routine work on my Lotus Elise it would effect the re-sale value even though I had a huge file of receipts

6 minutes ago, toplad said:

To many potential buyers though , doing your own oil change says skin flint, even though it's easy and quick to do. 

This. Get a local garage to do it so cheaper, and you still get the stamp. 

Well I suppose, if your background is , that you don’t like paying anybody for things that you can do yourself it’s a bitter pill!!

The fact that I’m changing front pads this weekend, answers my concerns.

I don’t think skin flint should really come into it car is 10 years young, it should really reflect that you are on top of things and routine maintenance.......... It’s just that damm stamp in the book!!!

25 minutes ago, Pezky said:

A reputable indy stamp would suffice.

I was told that because I did most of the routine work on my Lotus Elise it would effect the re-sale value even though I had a huge file of receipts

That’s basically where I am at, first 986S had sketchy history, however was backed up with a raft of receipts, which did not affect the Sale price, it’s just that this is an RS60 will it really deflect on what is a well maintained example? I think the losses would be marginal, with it being a Limited Edition?

The person buying it off you may well know that you have looked after it properly after talking to you, but they will be thinking about what the person they sell onto will think about 'home serviced', I know I would wonder if it had been run 'on the cheap' and whether other stuff had been done to schedule. On a nice car like yours, I would stick with an Indy for the work.

4 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

The person buying it off you may well know that you have looked after it properly after talking to you, but they will be thinking about what the person they sell onto will think about 'home serviced', I know I would wonder if it had been run 'on the cheap' and whether other stuff had been done to schedule. On a nice car like yours, I would stick with an Indy for the work.

I think the answer to all this, is keep up the major stamps and carry out the minors myself, it’s the only way I can compromise, with paying out for relatively basic stuff, you know what I’m like for getting stuck in, suspension rebuilds, subframes, steering racks out etc etc!!

I agree and plan to get my services done by a decent independent using oem parts.

But if you want to carry out extra oil changes and brake pads etc I don’t see a problem as you use oem parts and keep all receipts.

At the end of the day it is an enthusiasts car so you are allowed to be enthusiastic within reason ?

Personally I'll change things like brakes, oil, filters and various parts myself, but keep up to date with the major servicing stamps through reputable independents.

Hate paying a premium to someone else, when I can carry out the work cheaper and to the same standard, if you have a wad of invoices, then its unlikely to be perceived as a skin flint.

9 minutes ago, detail1 said:

Personally I'll change things like brakes, oil, filters and various parts myself, but keep up to date with the major servicing stamps through reputable independents.

Hate paying a premium to someone else, when I can carry out the work cheaper and to the same standard, if you have a wad of invoices, then its unlikely to be perceived as a skin flint.

Very true, I wouldn’t be put off seeing a wad of invoices showing minor service items being changed by a owner.

Main  dealerships aren’t all they are cracked up to be either. Everything is on the clock these days and nobody really cares about the car they are working on even though you’re paying through the nose for it?

I hate entrusting garages with work, partly because I'm mega fussy and just a bit ocd. Anything suspension wise and I have to rely on a garage, just dont have the tools or enough knowledge for it. 

I am totally in agreement with doing it yourself and doing it right but i have a question on this. 

“Due an oil change”?  Isn’t that. “Due a service?”  Therefore the stamp in the book is more about all the “check and inspect bits” than the “changed the oil bit”

if you are doing it out of sequence as an extra change then it can only help the history, similar feeling about brakes and tyres etc. They needed doing, you did them   

Personally, I would be happy with a good Indy’s stamp and a receipt / report from them for a service  but I wouldn’t “believe” an owner who said “I serviced it myself” if all they could show was the receipt for a can of oil and a filter from Euro car parts  

all that said on a car of 10 years old that is well presented then i don’t think it would make that much difference  

just my 2p’s worth  

I think in the case of anything with a shout at being collectible then the stamps probably do matter, (to many people). So if yours is actually due a service as per the maintenance schedule I’d probably get an Indi to do it. However might depend a bit on how long you intend keeping it. If it’s a 5years + car then this might tie you into a lot more expense over the years.

I think a bit of common sense is needed, if the seller is a shady git then I wouldn’t buy the car off him let alone believe his Diy servicing claims.

Another option is if you fancy an oil change between the recommended servicing, take it to a local garage and get a receipt. Not as cheap as doing it yourself but at least you have proof ?

I know someone with a 11 yr old 997 who insists on keeping up the FPSH because that's all it's ever had. It goes to the dealer which is 4 hrs round trip for EVERY little thing. Mad.

My 986 was 20 years old earlier this month and for the first 5 years it was OPC serviced then for the next 12 years I used 2 well known independents. Since then I have been servicing it myself, there is no particular magic to these cars and looking after it myself has saved me many 10's of hundreds and I know what's been done and how well.

When you go to a classic Porsche meeting and see a desirable, immaculate, 30 year old water cooled 911 would you be any less interested in it if you found that it had been looked after for the last 15 years by the knowledgeable and obviously enthusiastic owner, I know that I wouldn't.

56 minutes ago, topradio said:

My 986 was 20 years old earlier this month and for the first 5 years it was OPC serviced then for the next 12 years I used 2 well known independents. Since then I have been servicing it myself, there is no particular magic to these cars and looking after it myself has saved me many 10's of hundreds and I know what's been done and how well.

When you go to a classic Porsche meeting and see a desirable, immaculate, 30 year old water cooled 911 would you be any less interested in it if you found that it had been looked after for the last 15 years by the knowledgeable and obviously enthusiastic owner, I know that I wouldn't.

+1

Minor service is oil change and filters ....come on !!

I have noticed more stuff when underneath, that warrants more due replacement than a pollen filter for example, ARB bushes or a slit or rubbing this and that which is then on the radar for replacement, I guess at the end of the day it comes down to the individual and his levels of compentancy ? 

8 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Minor service is oil change and filters ....come on !!

I have noticed more stuff when underneath, that warrants more due replacement than a pollen filter for example, ARB bushes or a slit or rubbing this and that which is then on the radar for replacement, I guess at the end of the day it comes down to the individual and his levels of compentancy ? 

Would you have paid as much for the car, or even bought it at all if it had stamps missing and had been DIY serviced.? 

Archived