Something I heard!!

Nickyg63

Hi all,

I work for a vehicle manufacturer and was chatting to a colleague that works for another manufacturer(porsche).  He told me a story about the recent porsche restoration projects, namely the boxster's.  He stated that Porsche aren't happy about the low prices of boxsters, so they decided to buy and build up some real nice cars to help lift the prices of the 986.

I asked that why don't they lower the costs of major components and have recon parts on the shelf.  He agreed that this would help with the fear factor of porsche ownership, but porsche didn't want to lower the cost of ownership and wanted to protect the brand. They have invested a large sum of money to try to lift the prices of the cars!  

Fingers crossed this is fact.  Surely this will be good for prices?

Thought i'd share this, i by no means know this is true or not.  

I've heard that if we all attach 4leaf clovers & rabbits feet to our rear view mirrors this will definitely increase the value medium term. You just have to offset the cost of the trinkets against the sure-fire increase in market perception..

If Porsche are concerned about 986 values they should tell their dealer chain to stop offering such derisory numbers on trade in!

Exclusivity alone is not enough to warrant high asking prices. The car has to be desirable and something that people desire to own. 

I have a B3 Alpina (#032) which is one of 93 world wide and one of 63 in the UK. This doesn't make it valuable. 

I agree, Porsche should help with discounted parts - even Mercedes have a classic group - where parts are hugely discounted for older models. They will have paid off any tooling costs and the parts will be basically free to them.

One of the reasons the 986 is not as desirable as it could be is the fear of huge running and repair costs. IMS' gate will not have helped here.

16 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

HowManyLeft says there were up to 14 000 Boxsters on the roads by 2011, which fell to 12k by now. Yes I know that’s all model variants, but it’s hardly an exclusive car. 

Am I right in interpreting that as 12k left with 8.9k of those being a Boxster S or should the total be 21k?

If the former, those of us with a 2.5/2.7 really ought to setup our own exclusive club to keep the riff raff S owners out :)

If the latter then I'll just shut up and keep quiet about it

21 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

HowManyLeft says there were up to 14 000 Boxsters on the roads by 2011, which fell to 12k by now. Yes I know that’s all model variants, but it’s hardly an exclusive car. 

Can you work out how many 911's are on the road (all variants)? And separately from 996 to date? Just trying the get a feel in comparison to Boxsters. I've tried but can't get to the answer!

3 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

How many sapphire blue 718s? Colour now discontinued, ah a future classic in the drive.

wrong blue and 2 cylinders less, classic demand is for  aqua and 6 pots :lmaosmiley:  nice headlights on your car:plane:

22 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

6 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Am I right in interpreting that as 12k left with 8.9k of those being a Boxster S or should the total be 21k?

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

Can you work out how many 911's are on the road (all variants)? And separately from 996 to date? Just trying the get a feel in comparison to Boxsters. I've tried but can't get to the answer!

Yeah sorry I look again and I didn't see the Boxster and S lines, maybe the total is more like 21k.  Boxob now I look properly I can't work it out either!

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Boxob now I look properly I can't work it out either!

Glad it wasn't just me. I have since found production number by 911 models.

2.0 (and variants) from 1965 : 81,100

2.7 (and variants) from 1973 : 198,414

964 from 1989 : 74,008

993 from 1993 : 67,535

996 from 1999 : 179,163

997 from 2004 : 215,092

991 from 2011 : 152,659 (until end 2016)

Source: Porsche Newsroom.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I followed links on that site and it says download the original data from here

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/veh02-licensed-cars#licensed-vehicles

Can anyone open .ODS files? my MacBook won't. 

Should get yourself a proper 'puter then ;)

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I followed links on that site and it says download the original data from here

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/veh02-licensed-cars#licensed-vehicles

Can anyone open .ODS files? my MacBook won't. 

Apparently...

https://m.wikihow.com/Open-an-ODS-File-on-PC-or-Mac?amp=1

55 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Should get yourself a proper 'puter then ;)

:D 

50 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I thought apples 'just worked' though. Except when they don't. ;)

Isn't there an apple vs orange joke here somewhere?

Archived