Dual zone a/c and parking sensors - essential or just nice to have?

smartin

I've been looking around for a 981S to replace my ageing 986 2.7 Boxster and there are a couple of cars of interest that don't appear to have the dual zone a/c or any parkng sensors. Was wondering how useful/desirable/essential those options are?

My old 986 has auto-climate but not sure it is really that useful in a convertible or am I missing something - Cayman, I can possibly see it being more useful.

As for parking sensors, I've managed to avoid reversing into things without them on my 986.

I can use the fact that the car hasn't got those options as a bargaining tool to get the price down, if the rest of the car is to my liking 😁

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as you are aware that dual zone AC actually means  auto climate control, you don’t get this without dual zone. Many people seem to think this is an essential but not for me (I have it).  Parking sensors on the other hand I think the rear sensors are near essential given the very poor roof up rear visibility, but if you’ve managed in the 986 without then you should be fine, in some ways does depend a bit on type of driving you do, are you backing into parking spaces, parallel parking etc.

So for me, rear sensors yes, dual climate no.

What he said. And note retrofitting OEM sensors in the 981 is really expensive I think as they are displayed in the binnacle, so if you want them you'll need aftermarket, then you may have warranty issues if still Porsche warranty.

30 minutes ago, Greenman said:

As long as you are aware that dual zone AC actually means  auto climate control, you don’t get this without dual zone. Many people seem to think this is an essential but not for me (I have it).  Parking sensors on the other hand I think the rear sensors are near essential given the very poor roof up rear visibility, but if you’ve managed in the 986 without then you should be fine, in some ways does depend a bit on type of driving you do, are you backing into parking spaces, parallel parking etc.

So for me, rear sensors yes, dual climate no.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have managed to avoid hitting anything whilst parking my 986 over the last 15 years and that's with plenty of reversing into car park spaces! Doesn't mean it hasn't had a few bumper scrapes over the years but that's from other idiots hitting my car so no amount of parking sensors on my car would help with that 😠

I was aware of dual zone a/c meaning auto climate and that the standard a/c would be a manual set up, thanks.

Although I have both on my 981 I could happily live without them. I actually don't particularly like climate control as I much prefer to adjust the temp up and down as required and switch on the AC when I need it. PDC is nice to have but I never reversed into anything in my 986 before I retro fitted them about 5 years ago.

Don't forget that if you try to sell the car to a dealer when you have done with it he will tell you that it's unsalable without the options.

23 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

What he said. And note retrofitting OEM sensors in the 981 is really expensive I think as they are displayed in the binnacle, so if you want them you'll need aftermarket, then you may have warranty issues if still Porsche warranty.

It's a parking module, some coding for the screen, sensors and wiring, no more complicated than a VW Golf, its all VAG bits they use anyway.

I have rear sensors only and non dual zone climate and not something I have ever been bothered by.

Essentials are Nav (better screen and resale), usb socket, bluetooth phone prep, and some form of stereo upgrade as the standard one is awful.

PSE, PASM and decent seats should all come before either of these options IMHO.

I enquired with Sheffield OPC before I bought my first 981 and was told that parking sensors were not a retro fit option with Porsche. So before taking a plunge with one drop your local OPC service dept a line and see if they back up what I was told or not as it would be a pain to find out after spending the money on the car you can't have them retrofitted. I imagine aftermarket generic ones could be retrofitted to any car.

And for me I'd not be without front and rear parking sensors. Air con wouldn't bother me although I do happen to have dual zone in mine. As long as it bangs out a lot of heat in the winter months the zones mean nothing to me.

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

It's a parking module, some coding for the screen, sensors and wiring, no more complicated than a VW Golf,

See, you said "complicated" - I said "expensive"

With Porsche these are not synonyms... :)

12 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

See, you said "complicated" - I said "expensive"

With Porsche these are not synonyms... :)

If you can find the bits from a broken car and can find someone with piwis it shouldn't be too bad. But as you say visit the dealer and you'll get a real shock.

I'm surprised it doesn't have at least rear parking sensors that bleep as I thought that was standard. Mine has these at the rear and none at the front and I'm ok with that. Personally I like rear ones as there is no visibility reversing. I had aftermarket ones fitted to my 986 and they were really good, better looking than the OEM ones. I have dual zone. It works for me as my wife tends to like the temperature higher than me but tbh the cabin is so small I'm not sure how different it really gets.

Climate control is always good to have. I had it in my 968 and then not in the UP GTI i had and now i do again in the MX5, you can tell the difference even with the roof down. Can't see too much point to dual zone in a small cabin though. Also once you get used to sensors you'll be amazed at what gaps you can get in. 

4 hours ago, That986 said:

Climate control is always good to have. I had it in my 968 and then not in the UP GTI i had and now i do again in the MX5, you can tell the difference even with the roof down. Can't see too much point to dual zone in a small cabin though. Also once you get used to sensors you'll be amazed at what gaps you can get in. 

What did you think of the UP GTi?

20 hours ago, spook said:

Interested to hear your views as I was considering getting one ... what put you off?

Build quality. The limits are very easily reached in driving it sportily. Seats are bad, interior feels cheap, engine noise is irritating after a while, radio never holds last station, crashy ride, there’s a list..... 

Lots of people on here clearly don;t know the difference between dual air and standard air con even though they think they do lol

For clarity both have air conditioning 😉

Difference one - you can set a different passenger and driver temp = yep that’s seems pointless

Difference two - it is AUTOMATIC climate control ie the car maintains whatever temp you set without the need for you to do anything. This is the important difference and whoever says it’s not worth having is ...... wrong...... the reason......... with the roof closed the boxster has a small cabin = less air = more prone to temp changes, therefore Automatic climate is MORE important in a small car than a large car, its just physics 😉

ps worth checking yourself when you are buying a car as I’ve seen many advertised wrong (both ways) especially if not from an OPC ie a car may have dual climate but not advertised as suc. If you get used to the different button configuration you can tell easily from an interior pic of the car 😉

Anyway to answer your question, yes both are must haves to me.

20 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Lots of people on here clearly don;t know the difference between dual air and standard air con even though they think they do lol

For clarity both have air conditioning 😉

Difference one - you can set a different passenger and driver temp = yep that’s seems pointless

Difference two - it is AUTOMATIC climate control ie the car maintains whatever temp you set without the need for you to do anything. This is the important difference and whoever says it’s not worth having is ...... wrong...... the reason......... with the roof closed the boxster has a small cabin = less air = more prone to temp changes, therefore Automatic climate is MORE important in a small car than a large car, its just physics 😉

ps worth checking yourself when you are buying a car as I’ve seen many advertised wrong (both ways) especially if not from an OPC ie a car may have dual climate but not advertised as suc. If you get used to the different button configuration you can tell easily from an interior pic of the car 😉

Anyway to answer your question, yes both are must haves to me.

Yeh I tried to make this point on the first response above. I take your point about cabin size, I’d still say I could easily live without, though but it does seem to be an area that a lot think is an essential. I think when most peaople have this (or similar) in their £15k runabout it seems a bit low rent coming into a £50k Porsche and not having it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I went searching last weekend.

First car I was looking at got sold before I had the chance to view it (no dual a/c or parking sensors), second one I got to see and drive had the parking sensors but not dual a/c. It was very nice but brown 😲. Anthracite Brown metallic to be precise - to be honest it was like a darker version of Agate Grey with a subtle brown tint. It wasn't unpleasant but the word brown scared me and maybe would have the same effect on any future purchaser later on. If Porsche had just called it Anthracite or Anthracite Grey might not have been an issue.

Third car was in Aqua Blue and had dual a/c, parking sensors, PASM and Bose. Once I saw that one, I knew that was the one for me. Deposit paid and pick it up on December 1st 😁

Not very happy now 🤬

Just noticed that some a-hole has keyed the drivers side door on the car I'm part exchanging on 1st December (2001 986 Boxster). Must have happened over the weekend as this is the first time I have seen my car in the light since then.

15 years I've had this car and nobody has done that to it. Why did they have to do it a few days before I sell it?

Archived