Rarest colour 986's - owners opinions

Dwdg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks @Baron - It would be rude not to get involved.

Boxster colours and codes here: http://www.piperboxster.com/paintcode.htm

I remember reading that (but could be wrong) that there were less than 30 986's made in Viola with the vast majority going to the states. The 986 forum suggests that the colour was a $3000 option.

I have never seen another Viola 986 in the UK in my 25 year Porsche facsination.

23 minutes ago, Rav said:

I have never seen another Viola 986 in the UK in my 25 year Porsche facsination.

I've never seen one either, but seems this dealer sold one at some point in the not too distant past...

https://www.adrianblyth.com/cars/porsche/boxster/stiptronics/73148/125

6 hours ago, Rav said:

I remember reading that (but could be wrong) that there were less than 30 986's made in Viola with the vast majority going to the states. The 986 forum suggests that the colour was a $3000 option.

In the May 2000 price list, 'Special Colour' was a £2,085 option in the UK. Strangely, by October 2003, it had come down to £1,522, and even Paint to Sample was "only" £2,180.

It's not often that Porsche significantly reduces prices! Presumably as Porsche increased its production following the 986/996 revival, it was more easily able to accommodate such 'oddities' in the production line.

31 minutes ago, urzzz said:

Was Cobalt Blue a ‘Special Colour’?  My wife’s 986 gets positive remarks. 

I think what counts as a Special Colour varies over time, depending on what range* Porsche choose to make available as standard colours. In the 2003 price list they described Special Colours as "Existing Porsche colours, some of which were standard colours in previous model years. Minimum lead time 2 months."

* fairly limited, unless you want silver!

I don't remember Cobalt Blue being a standard colour during the 986.1 run, and it doesn't feature in any of the brochures I have (though they tend to focus on the 1996-98 and 2000-01 periods). I don't know about the facelift 986 era.

Anyway, if you want to claim it looks good, we're going to need pictures :)

47 minutes ago, edc said:

@jimk04 has a pre facelift in cobalt. I think cobalt replaced zenith blue. My zenith was a Jan 2000 registered car. 

In the August 2000 brochure, Zenith Blue wan't even a standard colour - the only standard blue then was Lapis.

11 hours ago, Rav said:

Boxster colours and codes here: http://www.piperboxster.com/paintcode.htm

I have a 2000 Boxster S in Viola too. Took ages to find one in that colour, but in my opinion the best by far - it pops amazingly when the sun is on it. If the colour is as rare as claimed, that does add some nice exclusivity - I certainly haven’t seen another in that colour, but just had to have it after my old Mini was in ‘black eye purple’, and similarly awesome colour

I'm pretty sure zenith was available from 1997 but clearly stopped by mid 2000. 

I guess that also explains why you see so many Lapis cars from 2001 and 2002 as there were probably not many blue options. You never saw many blue 993 or 964 so blue took a bit of getting used to when speccing a Porsche I guess. Zenith I think was originally a late 993 colour. 

2 hours ago, Parsons82 said:

I have a 2000 Boxster S in Viola too. Took ages to find one in that colour, but in my opinion the best by far - it pops amazingly when the sun is on it. If the colour is as rare as claimed, that does add some nice exclusivity - I certainly haven’t seen another in that colour, but just had to have it after my old Mini was in ‘black eye purple’, and similarly awesome colour

We need to get our cars together one day @parsons82 !

When I bought the 981 the dealer principle said that he liked having unusual colour cars in stock. His reasoning was that if somebody likes it, they probably really like it and are likely to buy. Also it means that he can't be played off against a similar car elsewhere.

He may of course have just been blowing smoke up my ar*e as the sales guy said that they hadn't sold another 981 in my colour. He did have a metallic lilac 911 convertible in stock at that time so he may have been serious, but I suspect that he was selling it on commission.  

2 hours ago, edc said:

I'm pretty sure zenith was available from 1997 but clearly stopped by mid 2000. 

I guess that also explains why you see so many Lapis cars from 2001 and 2002 as there were probably not many blue options. You never saw many blue 993 or 964 so blue took a bit of getting used to when speccing a Porsche I guess. Zenith I think was originally a late 993 colour. 

Thinking about it, I'm sure there were two blues available at some point in 2000 when I was specifying my yellow 986 - possibly Zenith and Midnight (?). I believe Porsche often withdraw and introduce colours midway through a model year though.

Another oddity is that I have a 1996 colour brochure from when I put the order in for my first 986, and that showed a colour available for the Boxster was going to be 'Blue Turquoise' (J1), but I suspect by the time owners were specifying their build specs for first deliveries, that colour had already been withdrawn, and I don't ever recall seeing a 986 in that colour.

17 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Thinking about it, I'm sure there were two blues available at some point in 2000 when I was specifying my yellow 986 - possibly Zenith and Midnight (?). I believe Porsche often withdraw and introduce colours midway through a model year though.

Another oddity is that I have a 1996 colour brochure from when I put the order in for my first 986, and that showed a colour available for the Boxster was going to be 'Blue Turquoise' (J1), but I suspect by the time owners were specifying their build specs for first deliveries, that colour had already been withdrawn, and I don't ever recall seeing a 986 in that colour.

There was also Ocean blue. Another one I think only around for 2 or 3 years. Seen it on 2.5 Boxsters and 3.4 996 too which puts it at around 97 to 99.

6 hours ago, Rav said:

We need to get our cars together one day @parsons82 !

As it transpires if you are Wiltshire then you aren’t too far away as we are Hants/Wiltshire border. I know Beaulieu does a Porsche event/show somewhen - that may work

4 hours ago, Parsons82 said:

As it transpires if you are Wiltshire then you aren’t too far away as we are Hants/Wiltshire border. I know Beaulieu does a Porsche event/show somewhen - that may work

I think Viola gets my vote for rarest colour . Beaulieu is on June 2nd and if is good fun, always lots of Boxsters and BoXa members. @Rav you were at Blackbush last week? perhaps you could get along to a Blackbush meet too @Parsons82 it would indeed be good to see these two rare cars together, and their owners of course. 

Archived