Rarest colour 986's - owners opinions

Dwdg

I often get compliments on the colour of my Boxster, it's in Arena Red, with the very dark grey leather and white stitching. Looks great with the matching hardtop on.

What other interesting colours are there in the group and forum ownership. Which are the rarest colours and are any more desirable than others...? What are our favourite colour combinations..?

I must say that I like the Forest Green and also Lapis Blue.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zanzibar Red - like mine - seems pretty rare on a Boxster. It did have a dark blue roof, which I wasn't keen on, especially as it faded. Now with a new black rood it looks loads better.

The photo doesn't really do the pearlescent flip any justice. In the right light it can look really lovely.

3jskFg1.jpg

Zanzibar is nice. Seen in on a 996 GT3. 

My first Boxster was Zenith blue. Only available for a couple of years in the early 986 pre facelift. 

40 minutes ago, Gutley said:

Liquid Metal maybe. Only 10 of those

No, there are 30 according to the Porsche sales lady at the NE in November so not so rare. Saw 10 at Poole Accident Repair yesterday. Apparently the 30 were spread over various body shops to do the refurbs.

“Twenty special edition restorations were commissioned including ten examples of the first generation Boxster model, along with air-cooled, water-cooled, and transaxle cars.”

https://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/article/porsche-gb-brings-20-stunning-restorations-nec-classic-part-70th-anniversary-special-display

3 minutes ago, Gutley said:

“Twenty special edition restorations were commissioned including ten examples of the first generation Boxster model, along with air-cooled, water-cooled, and transaxle cars.”

https://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/article/porsche-gb-brings-20-stunning-restorations-nec-classic-part-70th-anniversary-special-display

That's weird; she definitely told me 30and that's what the guy in Poole appeared to confirm yesterday. 

Well I'm not sure ALL the Porsche silvers have been mentioned but I feel sure you will all cordially agree  that Meridain silver is the most rare and beautiful, although i confess to being just a tiny bit biased ........... 

VI57Z8t.jpg

14 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Well I'm not sure ALL the Porsche silvers have been mentioned but I feel sure you will all cordially agree  that Meridain silver is the most rare and beautiful, although i confess to being just a tiny bit biased ........... 

VI57Z8t.jpg

Talked to a guy in one of those at Bicester on Sunday - he hadn't got a clue it was Meridian :huh: 

I only knew because of your occasional posts on the subject Bob ;)

25 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Talked to a guy in one of those at Bicester on Sunday - he hadn't got a clue it was Meridian :huh: 

I only knew because of your occasional posts on the subject Bob ;)

How appropriate that my first disciple is named Peter 😁

36 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Erm. I’m always telling people what colour your car is. And I'm first in the Gospels!

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

VI57Z8t.jpg

Polar silver hasn’t been mentioned - oh, it has now!

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Peter the Rock(et) if I remember my bible correctly ...

I contend that I own 2 of the rarest colours that the Boxster was made in, Pastel Yellow (986) and Lime Gold (981). In fact there isn't a single car in either of those colours in over 650 listings on AT.

Apart from mine, I haven't seen a Pastel Yellow 986 on the road for years and I think that I've only seen two 981's in the same colour as mine.

2 hours ago, Gutley said:

Erm. I’m always telling people what colour your car is. And I'm first in the Gospels!

Thats true, my apologise Matthew - being a Messiah is more difficult than I thought, especially when you don't know your Gospels! 😂

1 hour ago, topradio said:

I contend that I own 2 of the rarest colours that the Boxster was made in, Pastel Yellow (986) and Lime Gold (981). In fact there isn't a single car in either of those colours in over 650 listings on AT.

Apart from mine, I haven't seen a Pastel Yellow 986 on the road for years and I think that I've only seen two 981's in the same colour as mine.

I’ve only ever seen one pastel yellow 986 and it was brand new and being driven by Lee Sharp in Kingswindford in the mid nineties. Apparently he was a footballer in those days 👍

Archived