Six Cylinder 718 returning.

Gutley

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

One way round the Spyder roof is to only drive it on sunny days and leave the roof down in the garage and buy the GT4 for the rainy days 👍 Expensive but a practical solution 😂

Sounds ideal! 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Both beautiful cars and anyone who gets one is very lucky! Both cars sound fantastic with the n/a engines in them.

The Spyders roof wouldn’t bother me it’s just finding the money to afford one that’s the problem 😂 and finding one for sale.

One way round the Spyder roof is to only drive it on sunny days and leave the roof down in the garage and buy the GT4 for the rainy days 👍 Expensive but a practical solution 😂

I like your thinking!

On 6/18/2019 at 9:40 AM, Jason986S said:

I wonder how this will effect 981 GT4 values?!

Expect them to get a hammering.  The batch of GT4s this year will be limited (so expect to see some flipped to people with more money than sense) but then next year there's no limited numbers - the car is even on the configurator.

What about the ClubSport by Manthey racing? Or even the latest extreme GT4 ClubSportMR. Absolute weapons for the track day or completion buyers. 

Brilliant video with Misha & Manthey explaining. 

We had one of the new 718 GT4 Clubsports at the last Britcar round - should be out at Oulton Park again this Saturday. Hardly any difference from the 981 version, same engine - not this new one.

The Manthey pack for the 981 race cost an extra 25k Euros! I believe all of the 718 Clubsports are all being built by Manthey

22 hours ago, Araf said:

Expect them to get a hammering.  The batch of GT4s this year will be limited (so expect to see some flipped to people with more money than sense) but then next year there's no limited numbers - the car is even on the configurator.

So in 2020 anyone can order a GT4 or Spyder?

57 minutes ago, toocan said:

So in 2020 anyone can order a GT4 or Spyder?

That's supposed to be the plan.  And they will take their place on the production line with all other orders.

• 4 weeks later...

I do hope so. At present even the dealers are treating the Spyder and GT4 as " invitation only " orders.  If the alternate flat six appears , I suspect it will be a GTS with a new powerplant, maybe a detuned  911 engine with smaller turbos or a new flat six based on the Spyder and Gt4  ( with different internals or stroke to make it non tuneable ) . Don't forget  at present the spyder and Gt4 are using an all new engine that's not used elsewhere,  so Porsche will probably want to improve their productivity to make it cost effective.  I think there is room in the market for a higher spec flat six that's not as hardcore as the GT4 or impractical as the spyder. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:59 AM, MIkeyv60 said:

From the conversation i had it wont be called a GTS and  will sit above the present GTS

Yep..I've been told it will be called the 718 6

10 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Yep..I've been told it will be called the 718 6

Random thought, if and when they get around to a 2nd generation refresh will it be a...

718.2 6 or a 718 6.2

:huh:

19 minutes ago, John K said:

Random thought, if and when they get around to a 2nd generation refresh will it be a...

718.2 6 or a 718 6.2

:huh:

I think a 6.2l in a Boxster would be a step too far :)

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

The 718 is actually a 981.2; tweaked bodywork, new engine. 

Actually Porsche call it a 982 and it comes with a host of extras that were options on the 981 as well as improved PCM, steering and brakes😉

TBH, coming from the engineering design world, the Porsche numbering schemas hold no fear for me.

All they are doing with the 987.1 and 987.2 is a major (987) and minor (.2) revision increase (or uptick)

And the 911 is the Seed file, the 991 is the project file and then we get the minor revs 991.1 991.2 etc

All very logical and German... :laugh:

32 minutes ago, Graham W said:

Actually Porsche call it a 982 and it comes with a host of extras that were options on the 981 as well as improved PCM, steering and brakes😉

Exactly.  With exceptions, the pattern with the Boxster is same body, new engine (2.5-2.7 - then body revisions), same engine in new body (987.1), same body with new engine (987.2), same engine in new body (981), same body new engine (718)....  I don't need to mention adding a glovebox or LED rear lights, but that's the very basic pattern.  

Archived